Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren

Wild Root

Gone Home
Thanks Marc, I'm glad you like that photo... that is pretty much the suit he got! It's very much like it... it does have double vents in the back of the coat which aren't my cup of tea but, they did have them in the 30's... Fred Astaire did wear coats like that too.

=WR=

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones and I just found out that Ralph Lauren and a vintage dealer here in Boston, Bobby From Boston, are going into business together. Half the store will be vintage, the other half will be Ralph Lauren's vintage inspired line. We don't know when this store is opening, it is scheduled for next summer. Ralph has been going to Bobby's vintage warehouse for years for ideas for his lines. I wish he would come out with a vintage inspired ladies line.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Daisy Buchanan said:
I wish he would come out with a vintage-inspired ladies line.

His ladies' lines were heavily ('20s-'50s) vintage-inspired in the late '80s to early '90s. (Think of Madonna in her "Express Yourself" video from that time.) Then Ralph Lauren jumped onto the '70s revival (which has lasted longer than '70s!), and he hasn't let go.

It's not that Ralph Lauren isn't doing vintage. It's that he's doing the "wrong" vintage! :(

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Daisy Buchanan said:
Ralph has been going to Bobby's vintage warehouse for years for ideas for his lines.

When I first walked into the men's department of the Charles Department Store in Katonah(NY), I remarked to my sister that it looked like a Polo boutique. The saleslady overhear my comment and said,"Mr. Lauren is a longtime customer, he lives just down the road". They stocked Barbour, Filson, Pendleton,etc........RL would come in and buy one of everything, then knock them off in Asia and then sell them for more than the originals. Not that there's anything wrong with that;)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
His ladies' lines were heavily ('20s-'50s) vintage-inspired in the late '80s to early '90s. (Think of Madonna in her "Express Yourself" video from that time.) Then Ralph Lauren jumped onto the '70s revival (which has lasted longer than '70s!), and he hasn't let go.

It's not that Ralph Lauren isn't doing vintage. It's that he's doing the "wrong" vintage! :( .
I agree, he is going in the wrong direction with woman. Although his standard "country club" inspired attire is awfully nice. He makes nice wide legged slacks and tight cable knit sweaters, some beautiful blouses. He just seems to put a lot more effort into his mens line.

I am hoping that Bobby will give me a heads up the next time Ralph goes to his warehouse. That way I can ask him to re-create some Edwardian and 30's 40's womans clothes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe