Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
brownclearnutria1.jpg

WOW, Alan!!!!!!!! That's one of the most impressive westerns I have ever seen!!! I think the color combo of Brown velour mixed with green binding/ribbon is absolutely stunning. Its really interesting to see a hat like this because when I think of vintage cowboys, I always picture their hats being black, tan or Silverbelly without much "flair." This hat has a TON of character and the cowboy that must have originally bought this one must have had incredible taste in clothes! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

TPD166

One Too Many
I just received this Stetson Standard Quality - probably the oldest hat I own (1930s?). It has an approx. 5”+ crown, 2-5/8” ribbon bound brim, unlined, very lightweight felt, and an un-reeded leather sweat. It is in very good condition, except most of the sweatband stitching is loose. Originally purchased at Haygood’s Dry Goods in Floydada, Texas (and appears to be the same or an identical hat to one posted on page 1 of this thread!).

Looks to be the same hat as Dinerman's original post... very nice!

1930s - 1940 would be my guess. The red label behind the sweat and a LOTXXXX stamp on the reverse side of the sweatband would provide some additional clues.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Pre-30s (unsure on actual age) Stetson "The Fray" "Boss Raw Edge"

The hat band is not original, obviously. The sweat also looks to have come out at some point, then was re-stitched by hand back into the hat. Makes you wonder who wore this hat...

01813.jpg

01813.jpg

00121.jpg

02212.jpg

02414.jpg

00219.jpg

02812.jpg

03012.jpg

Westerns do not look flattering on me at all. I'm ready for takeoff! ;)
01122.jpg

I think it looks great on you, Justin.

Scalloped size tag, Fray stamp and markings, natural reed suggests it might be 1920 or earlier. Looks lightweight. Clearly a hat that has some interesting stories under its brim.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
This is not a Stetson mark that I have seen before.

Pre-30s (unsure on actual age) Stetson "The Fray" "Boss Raw Edge"

The hat band is not original, obviously. The sweat also looks to have come out at some point, then was re-stitched by hand back into the hat. Makes you wonder who wore this hat...

00121.jpg

Westerns do not look flattering on me at all. I'm ready for takeoff! ;)
01122.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82