Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

Gruene Mercantile today:

7572453918_53bbee23eb_z.jpg

Yes. Only the third hat I've purchased with that need. I bid feebly in the ebay auction for this reason but was fortunate to have a second chance courtesy of a generous lounge member. I'm happy to have it.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Incredible!!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

It truly amazes me how many different styles Stetson was able to create using a black western felt body. I've seen so many of your Stetson westerns and they all have their own special character and look. The body only weighs 4.1 oz??? That's very lightweight for a western, especially one with a 6 1/4 crown and 3 1/2 inch brim. Modern day westerns probably have 4.1 ounces of shellac by itself. LOL

Does the re-order tag say 644 - 6 1/4 ?

Thank you for the replies!

Very nice. Stretching it to fit?

No Joao, this size 7 fits me very well. I used the Garvé to brush the hat back into an open crown and then to take some photos.

Incredible!!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

It truly amazes me how many different styles Stetson was able to create using a black western felt body. I've seen so many of your Stetson westerns and they all have their own special character and look. The body only weighs 4.1 oz??? That's very lightweight for a western, especially one with a 6 1/4 crown and 3 1/2 inch brim. Modern day westerns probably have 4.1 ounces of shellac by itself. LOL

Does the re-order tag say 644 - 6 1/4 ?

Thank you Josh. This one is very light... with sweatband it would be about 3/4 of an ounce lighter than the mid 30s No.1 I am wearing today. I think your read on the block and crown is correct.

c. 1940 Stetson No.1 Quality

A hat that was auctioned in a lot of western and Native American collectibles. Very fine condition with a beautiful liner and dark green felt. This pebble embossed sweatband appears in Stetson's No.1 Quality around late 1930s-1940. The hat sold for $600 + 21% buyer premium. Not mine.

15300671_1.jpg

15300671_3.jpg

15300671_4.jpg

Condition is unusually fine. I have one from the same era, also showing little signs of wear - a 6 3/4, unfortunately. It was much less costly to acquire.

Stetson Clear Nutria/ Nutria Quality c. 1940

This hat has some interior markings and tape (the stiff oilcloth had been taped to the back of the sweatband) that lead me to think the hat has been renovated at some point - but my guess is the liner is the original.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Finely pounced to the level of a 1950s 7X clear beaver with a hand that is even more claylike, but not as soft as beaver... you can still recognize the roughness and ruggedness of the lower quality tan nutria felts. Thin felt but the brim is stiffer than clear beaver.

3.jpg

2 1/8" rolled sweatband is soft and flexible, early 1940s style. Stitches are so fine, it needs a panama dime. ;)

4.jpg

5.jpg

3" raw brim with "tailored edge" - a denotation that was introduced around 1937 and means... I don't know what.

6.jpg

7.jpg

New style manufacturing tag with handwritten block "322" and LOT7600 are consistent with a year or so on either side of 1940.

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82