Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
skca.jpg

Stetson Boss Raw Edge - Clear Nutria

I received this hat in trade from Garrett. It was cleaned and renovated by Josh in preparation for a conversion, which was rethought once Josh displayed the results of his work. This is a renovation that could only happen in the hands of a talented and patient hat lover like Josh. It began with this hat:

nutria_zpsaa697d16.jpg

and after all parts were removed, washed, scrubbed, sanded and put back together (with original sweatband, liner, ribbon reversed to hide stains) it looked like this:

DSC09439_zpsdb294a5c.jpg

DSC09447_zpse77ef4f4.jpg

Even though I had seen Josh's photographs, I was not prepared for how beautifully and carefully Josh had executed the work on this hat.

bossraw1.jpg

bossraw2.jpg

bossraw3.jpg

bossraw4.jpg

bossraw5.jpg

bossraw6.jpg

bossraw7.jpg

bossraw8.jpg

bossraw9.jpg

Excuse the bleary eyed, unshaven model - he just completed a 24 hour return trip from snow-stopped D.C. The hat now shows its original bone colored felt. The LOT6XXX sweat stamp dates this to about the same era as the Stetson Real Nutria Fur posted a paged or two back by Justin - late 1920s-early 1930s. The crown is 6 1/4", the brim 3 1/2" which extends about 3 1/8" from crown to the curled brim edge. Josh cleaned the hat with soap and water and elbow grease, followed by pouncing with sandpaper to restore the original finish. The felt is very soft and flexible. A crown crease will take some steam to set, but I am going to wear it for a while without side dents. It is a big bold statement of a hat so I think I will listen to what it tells me to do.

Many thanks to my friends Garrett and Josh for giving me the opportunity to own this one for a while.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. It was bonkers.

I thought of you as I was trying to get back to BWI. If I wasn't so anxious to get back home, I would have liked to ring you up.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks great, Alan. I could have sworn the brim was 4" but I'm glad it ended up being shorter. A wonderful job, as usual, by Josh - he's a magician!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82