Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dlvh

New in Town
Ok fellows...thanks for the welcome. Perhaps I should have said that "I think this all Black hat is a bit formal looking for me" I don't wear a suit a lot either, but I'd really like to wear them more (or a Sport Jacket) than I do now, but that's another story. Ultimately, I'd like to see hat wearing like it was 50+ years ago... A man (or woman) wasn't considered fully dressed unless he (she) had a hat on his (her) head, and not a baseball cap... a fedora for men.

Black (to me) has always meant "more formal" than other colors. Remember the mens "mourning band"? worn around ones arm when someone close to them has died, for those old enough to remember those things. I guess I'm showing my age here, but if you look at old pictures of mens gatherings in busy cities in the 40's and 50's, most of the hats that are seen are of lighter colored hats, with dark ribbon, a black hat isn't too often seen in pictures like this:

3067171168_e22c0a2328_z.jpg

Anyway, back to my original question about ribbon, if anyone here does know of some 1 7/8 or 2" Grey grosgrain ribbon for a hat, please let me know, and if you have any suggestions on how to properly attempt to "fine tune" the hat to a less "factory-stamped" teardrop shape, I'm willing to listen/read what you other fedora wearers have to say.

Happy Hat Wearing!

Last edited:

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Think you're on the money. People think anything other than a baseball cap is formal. In fact I've seen people wear baseball caps with suits.

I think it makes them look like Umpires. Go up to them and ask them the count, or you can argue a call and kick dirt on them. I also like to ask Kids that wear their baseball hat backwards if they are catchers.

Jeff

Stetson 100

A mid sixties example... condition pretty much as it looked in the store:

case.jpg

red liner with original plexiglas inserts inside.

case_1.jpg

100_1.jpg

inside.jpg

liner.jpg

embroidered last drop liner:

liner_1.jpg

sweat_2.jpg

the felt is pounced to a very fine suede finish... a strong overhead light is needed to see texture:

felt.jpg

100_2.jpg

Last edited:

Chinaski

One Too Many
As to the store's 70s wear--look out for a lime green leisure suit for me. I've been searching for one of those to wear to work. I've got to keep up my suave image.

Dan, I'll check my storage. I had a lime green leisure suit I wore to a number of college parties. I was a real ladies magnet:D, as you can imagine...

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
In 1974 I had an even worse leisure suit than the lime green one. It was large red and white checks. It looked God awful. When I wore it to a family function my Uncle said, "Good god you look like an Italian table cloth." I'll never forget that.

I refused to ever wear that thing again and my mom was mad that she wasted all that money on a "good suit" and I wouldn't wear it!

I also had one of those orangish/salmon colored ones. That one wasn't so garish... but it was STILL a leisure suit.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Amazing finds, everyone! I so wish the antique shops in my area would bear more fruit.
So instead I confess I've been trolling the Bay as of late, and now have another Beaver Brand 5X to add to my collection: a Stoney River in "Safari Green."
bbstoneyriversafarigree.jpg
[/IMG]
And there will be a Stetson on the way soon.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In 1974 I had an even worse leisure suit than the lime green one. It was large red and white checks. It looked God awful. When I wore it to a family function my Uncle said, "Good god you look like an Italian table cloth." I'll never forget that.

I refused to ever wear that thing again and my mom was mad that she wasted all that money on a "good suit" and I wouldn't wear it!

I also had one of those orangish/salmon colored ones. That one wasn't so garish... but it was STILL a leisure suit.

In the 1960s, there was a fad for Nehru jackets. They were sold with big metal medallions. I was 15, and got my Dad to buy me one. When I went to the bus stop next morning, one of the girls my age laughed out loud at the getup. Then I never wore it again. Too bad, because in retrospect I think the fashion was good. My Dad never said anything, but I'm sure he was ticked off.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I stopped in at a local antique shop on a whim yesterday. On the way out, I noticed this nice looking hat, displayed just like this:

IMG_0358.jpg

When I turned it over, I was pleasantly surprised by two things: (1) that it was such an interesting hat and (2) that it was only $15!

IMG_0355.jpg

More pictures in the Dobbs Diner thread . . .

Steve -- fantastic find! Congrats.

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld