Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
100_2.jpg

Super nice hat! Is that ole Opus 27, No.2 you've got there in the background?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Buler - I always have a hard time searching threads on the lounge... have added this hat there.

Alan, one of the helpful things to use if you don't already is subscribed threads. When you find an interesting one, add it to your subscriptions. Then you can jump to it easily.

B

Here is another thread cataloguing the Stetson 100

Thanks Jimmy... I added the images to this thread as well. My hat looks very close to the example shown in Dinerman's post on page one of this thread, but with the rectangular black size tag. I'm not sure how far back these embroidered Last Drop liners go, but from the perforated sweatband and newer size tag, I estimated on the later side of the 100 production years. I will add some shots of the inside of the sweatband later on... there's not much there other than the store price tag and a round purple stamp on the sweat leather.

Thanks for the subscription tip, Buler... and thanks all for the comments!

Me, too. That embroidered Last Drop liner may be older than that...

One other thing that intrigues me is the decline of quality in the hot stamping impression from the forties/fifties to the more recent years. The same machines and die technology are used for this work today... I'm not sure why the clarity and definition of the image fell off... but it definitely did.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
My hat looks very close to the example shown in Dinerman's post on page one of this thread, but with the rectangular black size tag. I'm not sure how far back these embroidered Last Drop liners go, but from the perforated sweatband and newer size tag, I estimated on the later side of the 100 production years.

I figured there might be a rectangular size tag involved. ;) The Last Drop liner was certainly around in the 50's, and survived into at least the mid-60's in its embroidered form.

Cheers,
JtL

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I've seen embroidered Last Drop liners that are that are well past the Philadelphia hats, as well as the Stevens years too.
I figured there might be a rectangular size tag involved. ;) The Last Drop liner was certainly around in the 50's, and survived into at least the mid-60's in its embroidered form.

Cheers,
JtL

rlk

I'll Lock Up
They have embroidered liners in some of the high X beaver models currently-same subject but definitely different version and colors.

CSI - Philadelphia - here is some additional evidence...

sweat3.jpg

sweat2.jpg

sweat1.jpg

a very thick and zesty sweatband... totally different animal from my Stetson 25 OR, which is also the perforated design from a similar time period.

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
One other thing that intrigues me is the decline of quality in the hot stamping impression from the forties/fifties to the more recent years. The same machines and die technology are used for this work today... I'm not sure why the clarity and definition of the image fell off... but it definitely did.

I was told by my sweatband supplier (I think they've been in business since 1875, but don't remember for sure) that the difference is in the metal used today. The process today uses cheaper metal which can't stand up to the pressure required for the deep embossing of yesteryear. At least, that's how I remember the conversation. It was several years ago.

Brad

I was told by my sweatband supplier (I think they've been in business since 1875, but don't remember for sure) that the difference is in the metal used today. The process today uses cheaper metal which can't stand up to the pressure required for the deep embossing of yesteryear. At least, that's how I remember the conversation. It was several years ago. Brad

Interesting... when we do foil stamping on our greeting cards we have copper hot stamp dies made. Copper is able to be etched to hold very fine detail and they seem identical to dies that would have been made 100 years ago. But clearly something changed... probably the cost versus the need to hold the line on hat prices.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
My second Optimo milan arrived from, of all places, Guam.

uh-oh
DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

This box, an older one, is much bigger than the newer ones. Just as Art did, I guess Optimo downsized for postage savings.

DSC_0142-1.jpg

fortunately, no damage to the hat

DSC_0144-1.jpg

This one is pretty different from the Optimo I bought while in Chicago a few years ago. The crown is a bit taller, the brim is a bit wider (2.75 rather than 2.5), the weave isn't quite as fine, and the color is even more golden. It's still really soft, and feels just like the one I bought new.

Best of all, I thought that the ribbon was shades of gray, but it's actually shades of green.

DSC_0148.jpg

side by side with my first, showing fineness

DSC_0155.jpg

crease and brim size

DSC_0151.jpg

and ribbons

DSC_0162.jpg

For me, the 7xCB is the ultimate in felt (though I'd love to handle a Dobbs or Knox 100) and Optimo's milan is the ultimate in straw.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
DSC_0162.jpg

For me, the 7xCB is the ultimate in felt (though I'd love to handle a Dobbs or Knox 100) and Optimo's milan is the ultimate in straw.

What a superb pair of Optimo Milans, Lefty! I can't comment on the 7XCB but I absolutely agree with your assessment of the Optimo Milan hat. Will have to take mine out tonight when I get home just to savor its visual and tactile beauty. I think they deserve their own thread...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe