Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DRB

One Too Many
Alan: I saw 3 Montecristi's at his shop but none appeal to me. He tells me it takes over a year sometimes to get what you want made. I don't want to wait that long.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
I've been VERY lucky as of late with Dobb's Cross Country's. Here are the two I've recently picked up. The beige came from Ebay ($70) and the blue (officially 'Dobbs Two-Tone Cross Country) from a Google search that led me to a vintage shop in Oregon. ($40!). Both 7 1/2. Both in great shape. I figure the blue to be 50's. But the beige, with the old-school Dobbs crest in red, I'm not sure. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

dlvh

New in Town
Ok...this is my first post here on this forum. I am somewhat new to wearing hats, although I did purchase a hat in the mid 80's after watching the Indiana Jones series of movies...it was (of course) a Brown Fedora, no-name cheap hat, that I still have, and even wear occasionally.

I recently purchased (one week ago now) a Scala Venice, in Black. A nice hat, but perhaps a bit too formal looking for everyday wear. I am looking to purchase a Grey ribbon for it in the 1 7/8 size or 2" size, but don't know wear to find that precise size/color...so if any of you have some of that for sale, or know of some company that does carry that, please let me know.

The Scala, as I said, is a nice hat, and has a fairly nice "factory crease" in it, however, I would like to give it a 'softer' pinch to it, but still a definite teardrop shape similar to what it came with from the factory, but tweaked a bit. I have toyed with it over some steam, but have not gotten the "nack" of how to do that yet, because it still has the factory crease still in it. I don't have a Hat Block or any hat equipment, but I will be getting a Hat-Jack pretty soon to put the hat on.

Anyway, that is the hat I wore today....some pictures are coming.

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I always find this "black is too formal" meme interesting. I guess I don't have a common opinion on it, but I don't think of ANY fedora as "too formal" no matter what color it is (except maybe a Homburg, they seem more formal to me). Now a top hat... THAT is formal. Even a bowler is somewhat business-like and not as easy to wear informally. But I don't think of a black fedora as "too formal" at all. I can't even fathom what would make someone think a black fedora is too formal. I am sure I am not in the mainstream on this, though, but I'd wear a black fedora anytime it looks good with whatever I'm wearing.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I always find this "black is too formal" meme interesting. I guess I don't have a common opinion on it, but I don't think of ANY fedora as "too formal" no matter what color it is (except maybe a Homburg, they seem more formal to me). Now a top hat... THAT is formal. Even a bowler is somewhat business-like and not as easy to wear informally. But I don't think of a black fedora as "too formal" at all. I can't even fathom what would make someone think a black fedora is too formal. I am sure I am not in the mainstream on this, though, but I'd wear a black fedora anytime it looks good with whatever I'm wearing.

MV, I tend to agree with you as to the "formality" of a black fedora. By it's very definition, a Fedora has never been considered a "formal" hat such as the Homburg or Top Hat. I think where the "formal" comes in is that most "formal" or "serious" clothing has traditionally been black or shades of it. You wear a black tux, tail coat etc. or in the case of seriousness, one traditionally wears black at a funeral . Personally, I don't wear black well, skin wise so do NOT have any thing in black and as such no black hats. But that is just me :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Hmmm. So, your theory is that people conflate black with "formal" without considering actual purpose or style of the item? I guess I can see that. I mean, let's face it, people USED to war black fedoras all the time and they understood that a black fedora was no different than any other fedora. A fedora can be business-like or casual, but it was never considered a formal hat. So, maybe what we are seeing is that people are so out of touch with what a fedora even is (a basic casual hat, not a formal hat like a Homburg or a Topper) that they just assume "black" means formal even though it doesn't in the case of any regular fedora?

Yeah, I guess if that is what you are saying it makes sense. It all comes from the general ignorance of what a fedora is these days.

eto

New in Town
I have a new Black Fedora. Im not a suit wearing guy, only on special occasions , so for me its a casual hat. I wear it with jeans and my adidas sneakers. But again I live in NYC and you can pretty much get away with wearing all sorts of combinations.

fmw

One Too Many
Hmmm. So, your theory is that people conflate black with "formal" without considering actual purpose or style of the item? I guess I can see that. I mean, let's face it, people USED to war black fedoras all the time and they understood that a black fedora was no different than any other fedora. A fedora can be business-like or casual, but it was never considered a formal hat. So, maybe what we are seeing is that people are so out of touch with what a fedora even is (a basic casual hat, not a formal hat like a Homburg or a Topper) that they just assume "black" means formal even though it doesn't in the case of any regular fedora?

Yeah, I guess if that is what you are saying it makes sense. It all comes from the general ignorance of what a fedora is these days.

Think you're on the money. People think anything other than a baseball cap is formal. In fact I've seen people wear baseball caps with suits.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
In fact I've seen people wear baseball caps with suits.

Now THAT is just wrong!

I hate seeing grown men in a baseball cap. I don't have a problem if they are wearing one while working outdoors, but to be wearing one as casual headgear seems to bespeak of perpetual Peter Pan syndrome to me. A baseball cap is a little kid's hat, people. REAL men wear fedoras!! LOL
(OK, the "real men" line is what I keep telling my wife to justify my fedora habit, I admit. But still...)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Think you're on the money. People think anything other than a baseball cap is formal. In fact I've seen people wear baseball caps with suits.

Yes, they're making a big point of how casual they are. "I'm so relaxed, casual and fun that I can wear a baseball hat with a suit." They may also wear sneakers. I guess it's a style. But never one I aspired to personally.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Yes, they're making a big point of how casual they are. "I'm so relaxed, casual and fun that I can wear a baseball hat with a suit." They may also wear sneakers. I guess it's a style. But never one I aspired to personally.

Last time I was in New York I witnessed this new "trend" firsthand -- saw quite a few folks in business suits and topcoats wearing baseball caps. Oh, man, now THAT is a bad look...

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last time I was in New York I witnessed this new "trend" firsthand -- saw quite a few folks in business suits and topcoats wearing baseball caps. Oh, man, now THAT is a bad look...

You mean you weren't impressed with their unconventionality and casualness? You probably didn't realize that they want you to admire their spirit for doing that.

eto

New in Town

This is very true out here. I see it all the time, and I say to myself man you would look so much better with a real hat.

SteveAS

Practically Family
I stopped in at a local antique shop on a whim yesterday. On the way out, I noticed this nice looking hat, displayed just like this:

IMG_0358.jpg

When I turned it over, I was pleasantly surprised by two things: (1) that it was such an interesting hat and (2) that it was only $15!

IMG_0355.jpg

More pictures in the Dobbs Diner thread . . .

Big_e

Practically Family
I went to Hatco in Garland yesterday and got this grey Stetson Sovereign. I bought it to wear to an environmental class I'm going to for my job this Thursday. Inspectors from different cities and agencies go there and inevitably they wear their best western hats so I can't be outdone. They were on special so I only paid $69.00 and change.
I really meant to get an Open Road but the one I tried on fit painfully tight on the sides of my head. Next time I'll see if the employees can adjust one for my wide head or I'll know that an Open Road just ain't for me.
Ernest

Picture118-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe