Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

deano

New in Town
Thank you both
it says 100% fur felt. And the size says 57???
It is Italian.. Cappelli grandiose

I Was told that felt is better. But don't why it would be unless the rain would ruin the wool

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
deano said:
15becf53.jpg

this is my first lid
not sure if I can pull it off
I do try to wear it with attitude.
But are sometimes bothered by what I wear with it.
Would be greatful of any tips a nd what you think.
I would love to get a vintage lid.
Not seen many on eBay in England.
Thanks
deano[/QUOTE]
I think it looks good as is. The only addition I would make is what my local hat man told me twenty years ago--better to pull it down farther on your brow so that the hat maintains a level line when seen from the side. That as opposed to wearing it tilted back. A little counterintutive, but that's what he said, and in that's the way I do it, because I agreed with his advice. Apart from that, the stingy brim looks good on a young fellow like you. Over time you may want to try wider brims and taller crowns. Best thing is to find a hat store where there are a lot of different variations so you can try many of them in one visit. That would sharpen up your judgement about what works best on you.

DRB

One Too Many
Yes indeed. Excellent advice. Find your way to a hat store. Hands on. Explore. Far better than trying to find what you like by mail order.

deano

New in Town
danofarlington said:
I think it looks good as is. The only addition I would make is what my local hat man told me twenty years ago--better to pull it down farther on your brow so that the hat maintains a level line when seen from the side. That as opposed to wearing it tilted back.
thanks
I was told by the shop that tilt back for a more casual look and straight for more formal. The brim isn't the smallest I've seen it's somewhere in the middle. Over here this is called a trilby as you prob know already.
I found if worn back ferther I can get away with less formal cloathes. Is this wrong?
I always try to tilt to one side and have tried tilting forward but I'm not sure it looks natural an some how forced. Like I'm trying to be a mobster.
So I tend to tilt back.
I have had it tilted back a lot ferther before. More like sinatra in the later years.
I also don't wear suits for work, so when people I know see me smart and wearing a hat that find it odd.
I'm trying to wear it often so poeple get used to me in one,
and have bought a very stingy brim trilby that I wear with almost anything. That one is more like the mod style. And I wear it well back.
Is this wrong?
Am I making the wrong impresion by doing this.
I do love the wider brim but think I would have to be more dressed up to pull it off.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
deano said:
thanks
I was told by the shop that tilt back for a more casual look and straight for more formal. The brim isn't the smallest I've seen it's somewhere in the middle. Over here this is called a trilby as you prob know already.
I found if worn back ferther I can get away with less formal cloathes. Is this wrong?
I also don't wear suits for work, so when people I know see me smart and wearing a hat that find it odd.
I'm trying to wear it often so poeple get used to me in one,

I do love the wider brim but think I would have to be more dressed up to pull it off.
Rules not so strict--what rules--and many may argue with what I said. You should do what makes you comfortable and makes the hat work for you. I did notice though that before my hat-man's comments my tendency was to tilt the hat back a lot, but that by pulling it down level it's a more kind of adult look which I decided I liked, this was post-age 35 for me. So level is the look for me, others should do what they want, no rules. On the hat with clothes, yes ever since wearing hats I decided they are a dressy thing and go best with some level of dressiness, for me meaning no T shirts with hats (just watch for the brickbats coming this way now). Some hats are really dressy as you say. But being way post-35 years old now I use a lot of suits, sport coats and nice shirts and it's easier to blend hats in with those. Hats and that kind of clothes seem to go naturally together. Of course in the winter you've got jackets and coats, and hats are easier to match up with jackets than summer casual clothes. All in all, hats are fun and they are distinctive, can look good with the right hat, but you enter into this thicket of styles, brims, crowns and matching that is hard to escape. You can't ignore it all because the hat may look dumb if something is wrong. The only solution IMHO is to dedicate a certain amount of mirror time with the various permutations and see for yourself what's good, what's so-so, and what is downright bad.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Borsalino Feather Weight

Jet a new vintage hat ... good lord! Planned to stop this insanity for a while. Well this Borsalino Feather Weight came my way and ....

.... here it is:

bof1.jpg

bof2.jpg
"]IMG]http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww136/dreispitz/bof3.jpg[/IMG]

bof1.jpg

bof2.jpg
[/URL]

Indeed the lightest and thinnest felt that I own. Even lighter than my Stetson Impreial Bantam xxx.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Wilby Hatters

4727658765_0e4aaa6da2_b.jpg

4728304474_f99858e759_b.jpg

4728325332_289d492d61_b.jpg

4728444400_da6185b0be.jpg
4728418642_6dc60dd998.jpg
4727807249_09aa865ae9_b.jpg

Cavanagh Edge and Back Bow, store fresh. I'm stumped on this one. I have found no references of any kind for this Hatter or Store. It does have a factory duplication stamp with Wilby Hatters at the above address.
Age is up for grabs too but I'm guessing end of the 1930's. Beautiful hat in any case.

1946 Telephone Book:
4730511394_5c7012cfcb_o.jpg

Curry Dream Restaurant
Curry Dream uses a unique blend of spices imported directly from India in all of its dishes. Both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes (chicken and lamb) are served in the Midtown restaurant. Paneer tikka (cheese cubes in yogurt), vegetable and meat samosas and chana chat (chickpeas and potatoes) are just a few of the restaurant's appetizer offerings, in addition to soup selections. For the main course, Curry Dream features alu gobi (potatoes and cauliflower) and chana masala (chickpeas in masala) among its vegetarian dishes, as well as the traditional Indian favorite, chicken tikka masala. Enjoy seafood and lamb plates, as well as rice specialties vegetable biryani (basmati rice). Curry Dream also serves lunch. Kosher and halal selections are offered. The restaurant also serves mango lassi and other lassi varieties as beverages.

Curry Dream Restaurant
66 W. 39th St.
New York, NY 10018
212-810-4125
currydream.com

[/url]

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Lelewer Chicago

4727841667_4036185652_b.jpg
4727849961_91cfe2e221.jpg

4727849449_c4f9f0cb78.jpg
4728495214_174a43f50c.jpg

Sold as a 7-1/4 but has the usual 3 tags with 7-1/8 though stretched to almost 7-1/4. Black with "Oxblood" trimmings. Once Chicago's largest Hatter, apparently quantity over quality[huh] Someone tried to IJ Bash the crown, unfortunately unaware what a Homburg was:mad:

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Nothing to compare to these fantastic vintage felts today, just a new Milan straw, the Dobbs Soul, a new Spring 2010 model, I believe. Nice color, Pearl Grey, and a very comfortable and well fitting hat.

dobbssoulside.jpg
[/IMG]

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
4727849961_91cfe2e221.jpg

Sold as a 7-1/4 but has the usual 3 tags with 7-1/8 though stretched to almost 7-1/4. Black with "Oxblood" trimmings. Once Chicago's largest Hatter, apparently quantity over quality[huh] Someone tried to IJ Bash the crown, unfortunately unaware what a Homburg was:mad:

Very nice color combination. You must be approaching the century mark lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe