Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
That is a very nice hat, but that is no Panama. My best guess is that it's origins are from the western Pacific or eastern Indian Ocean area.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Panamabob/Optimo Semicalado

5607147928_6e631e5ee2_b.jpg

Body from Panamabob and finishing by Optimo in Chicago.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
That is a very nice hat, but that is no Panama. My best guess is that it's origins are from the western Pacific or eastern Indian Ocean area.

To my eyes, from the photos it looks like un-bleached or patinated Brisa weave, but I would be curious to know what led you to the conclusion of Indo-Pacific origin for the straw?

Last edited:

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
To my eyes, from the photos it looks like un-bleached or patinated Brisa weave, but I would be curious to know what lead you to the conclusion of Indo-Pacific origin for the straw?

For me it is as much what I don't see. A brisa weave will have concentric circles on the top of the crown as well as on the brim.
001zbd.jpg

I mentioned that region because of the buri palm. It's fiber is used to make Balibuntal and Baku hats. These hats have a gloss finish where a Panama is flat(dull). Here is a Balibuntal. (very old)
002ptb.jpg

Though I'm not positive I think this is a very finely woven Baku. These are as light as a feather.
003rhv.jpg

I see a lot of the same pattern in Johnny's hat. TLH

delectans

Call Me a Cab
For me it is as much what I don't see. A brisa weave will have concentric circles on the top of the crown as well as on the brim.
001zbd.jpg

Thank you for that illuminating and very helpful comparison. I THOUGHT you were probably referring to Baku, but most of the Baku hats I have seen have been of much coarser weave than the example you illustrated.

Here are the seller's original photos of Johnny's lid for additional reference.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe