Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't recall the one you posted, but there's no way it's the same as this one - or the person who gave you the estimate was mistaken. The size tag is probably the biggest give-away that this one is a 60s hat.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good to know. Maybe I shouldn't have sold that hat so cheap...

Sam

I don't recall the one you posted, but there's no way it's the same as this one - or the person who gave you the estimate was mistaken. The size tag is probably the biggest give-away that this one is a 60s hat.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If you're referring to this hat, 80s is probably right. It's got the square size tag (a late 60s change, and the addition of the metric part came much later), the black sweat (I can't remember when these started - 70s?), and the liner is not the same. The liner logo in your hat looks very new by comparison, and doesn't have the plastic protector or piping. Yours also doesn't have the silk ribbon woven through the sweat, as is common on those 60s Stetsons.
IMG_4636.JPG

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Splendid Whippet, Robert. I believe yours to be the same color as one of my Whippets, which I also felt was the Bluegrass color based upon the same ad you referenced, as you can see from this post. If you read on further in that thread, one page later JTL raised a compelling point about the color perhaps being Willow instead of Bluegrass.

Either way, a wonderful color and a great hat!

Last edited:

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the info Lefty. I was actually only looking at the design with the squiggly red and gold lines. For some reason I'd gotten the impression that those were an 80's thing. I really should have read a bit closer in the stetson dating topic before posting.

Sam
If you're referring to this hat, 80s is probably right. It's got the square size tag (a late 60s change, and the addition of the metric part came much later), the black sweat (I can't remember when these started - 70s?), and the liner is not the same. The liner logo in your hat looks very new by comparison, and doesn't have the plastic protector or piping. Yours also doesn't have the silk ribbon woven through the sweat, as is common on those 60s Stetsons.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Have ordered two new felts. Decided to get a jump on next winter so have ordered two new Akubra's. First is one of the Stylemaster's from DM in the Acorn color:

1746acr_lg61.jpg

DM photo

Next is a Squatter I got from the Bluewater Group in New York, a Grey :

1610blkl1.jpg

Photo from Bluewater

Will bring me up to 8 Akubra's :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe