Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

navarre

Vendor
I bought this hat at St Vincent de Paul. Found it in a "hat bin" completely flat. To my suprise it was a Stetson Stratoliner in a former life. This picture does it to much justice.
fedora_95before.jpg

After some heavy washing, I reblocked it inside out (better looking on the inside) re pounced it and, well, here it is.
fedora_95angled.jpg

Figured on trying something different. I remember seeing Cane Rod Maker (I think) do a backwards tear drop in a yellow hat. I can't find the thread, but it made me think a reverse diamond might be slick. So here is what I came up with.
fedora_95top.jpg

The bottom of the pic is the back of the hat. You can see some week spots in the felt from the top just on the edge of the diamond , but they are not to bad. There is also a cut in the back but you cant see it unless you're holding the hat in your hand. Might patch it from the inside just to be sure. All in all the felt was salvagable.
fedora_95side.jpg

fedora_95back.jpg

Its taking some getting used to because when picking it up it feels backward. From straight on it looks like a pork pie but as you turn your head there is something different going on. I think I am really starting to like it.
If anyone remembers the thread with the backward teardrop let me know I would like to see it again. I want to say it was a whole thread about strange creases but I can't ever seem to find the ones I remember.

www.blacksheephatworks.com

DRB

One Too Many
150719541 said:
2066564820106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

2329407980106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

2158576440106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

My new GLEN COVE Dobbs, steel color, warm and confortable, I bought it last week in Nashville, In., in HEAD OVER HEEKS store, 812-988-6535
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Hey my friend, that hat has great style! The crown is not too high and the brim is perfect for you. Congratulations on your new purchase. Good choice.

danofarlington said:
I think that's the first time I've seen a gray hat go well with brown. So I guess it can be done. All I knew before is that my charcoal gray Borsalino goes with no brown anything. Maybe the "dressiness" quotient of the hat has something to do with it.

I've ran into similar issues, it's amazing how "grey" can have silver, blue, green hues to it. where Brown is usually brown, with maybe a little bit of yellow...

DRB

One Too Many
Buler: That Knox 20 looks like it has never even been worn. Nice one.

Thunderw21 I Really like that Borsalino Angora. What size is it?

Yeps: I like the Open Road on you. The lighter color compliments you.

Cane Rod Maker: what color is that Malory? Nice pictures.

Aureliano: I see you are adding to your nice collection! Love that color.

RLK: I know I already said this but I just keep going back and looking at that Dobbs Cross Country "Vacation". So very nice!

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
2 today...

I got two in the mail today. The gray one is marked as being from the Dayton Hat Company of Minneapolis. Made of "genuine imported fur." It's a nice soft gray with a bluish tint and that wind trolley button I was talking about in another thread.

I have to flatten that back end a tad. It was up against the box there and is curled a bit more than I like. But over all a very nice, clean example.

Paid about $35 for it.

gray_dayton.jpg

The second is a nice Open Road that I just got from board member Cane Rod Maker. I am quite happy with it.

stetson_openroad.jpg

Both fit perfectly, I am happy to say.

Geres Bowler, Dunn & Co. Lighweight Bowler

I picked up 4 English Bowlers (not from Ebay). The Geres Bowler is at least 1930s maybe older and measures about 57cm. Has vent holes at the top. The Dunn & Co. Lightweight Bowler is probably late 1950s and measures around 59cm. It has a Replacement liner.

Geres Bowler

5036762490_61737418cb_z.jpg

5036148369_4d970d621a_z.jpg

5036777294_124bdf50fe_z.jpg

5036163351_176521b297_z.jpg

5036137757_a6dac4569d_z.jpg

Dunn & Co. Lightweight Bowler

5036797434_77e2b97a62_z.jpg

5036790258_6d328f3f02_z.jpg

5036138499_a5e509babf_z.jpg

5036138747_f685d74d32_z.jpg

5036757136_6faac42bac_z.jpg

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
New from Panama Bob

Just received my hat from PB. Looks good, fits good and feels good. And it only cost $25, a price I convinced my wife couldn't be passed up. Women are so iffy. She thinks I have way too many hats already. I only have 15 plus 2 Harris Tweed caps. Being of a generous nature, I recently gave two other hats away. I have an old Stetson Western style and if and when I can think up a good excuse (and get back up to Oregon for a visit), I'm going to have Mr. Fawcett reblock it into a snappy fedora.
This Panama looks almost exactly like the $100 plus Stetson panama I bought a little over a year ago, and the weave isn't quite so fine, but it looks great, fits better, and the price was beyond right. A little steam brought the brim down in front within two minutes and now I feel pretty snappy.
My personal like is a leather sweatband, but I know that even many expensive straws have a cloth band that is supposed to wick away the sweat. I won't forget PB when I get a more expensive model. :eusa_clap

thunderw21 said:
^That sweatband is something else.

And reverse taper in a bowler!

That look (bulb like) is fairly common with old Bowlers. Around the late 1950s it starts to disappear along with the ability to make true dress Bowlers (Derbies, Melone).

buler

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Special

Got this interesting Stetson Special the other day. Heather felt, overwelt, woven (cotton?) ribbon, strange sweatband mark. It looks like someone put the Extra Quality stamping right over the normal Stetson sweatband mark. I can make out Stetson (top right), Medalist (just under Stetson), John B. Stetson Company (bottom left), G..... Emerald (bottom right), Stetson crest/beaver stamp on top left. It almost looks like it says Genuine Emerald on the bottom right...[huh] whatever that would mean??

Anyone decipher more of the mark underneath?

B

special_2.jpg

special_3.jpg

special_4.jpg

special_5.jpg

special_6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe