Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Made in Austria Velour

4473090307_c813d38643.jpg

4473148445_6ba0d5f22c_b.jpg

Seal Velour type felt. Unbelievably soft and flexible but stays anywhere you put it. No detectable crease memory but a bit of fiber compression with a telescopish line about the crown from storage/crush(too crooked for a purposeful crease) which will hopefully come out with cleaning. No moth damage or even dirt[huh] but the 2-1/4" wide sweatband with 360 degree lacing is ultra thin(so flexible) but has the moisture content of cardboard. Only marking is Made in Austria. As fine as any Velour encountered. Really a 7-1/8 but so soft and flexible it is easily wearable. No ribbon but some stitches at the back(Back Bow possibly) and from a former liner. About 5-1/2" open crown and 2-3/4" brim.

Vilhat

New in Town
Straw Hats

Hi -

I haven't posted in over a year, but I continue to read about hats here at the lounge. I'm not sure where to but this article I've just written on Straw Hats. If someone wants to move it to a more appropriate thread, be my guest. I've seen lots of discussion about Panamas (of course), but I also recall discussion/questions about Milan straws, etc. This article addresses both of these materials and more. Enjoy.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs024/1102546528971/archive/1103230135753.html

If that link doesn't work try this:
http://blog.villagehatshop.com/

Fred

rlk said:
4473090307_c813d38643.jpg

Seal Velour type felt. Unbelievably soft and flexible but stays anywhere you put it. No detectable crease memory but a bit of fiber compression with a telescopish line about the crown from storage/crush(too crooked for a purposeful crease) which will hopefully come out with cleaning. No moth damage or even dirt[huh] but the 2-1/4" wide sweatband with 360 degree lacing is ultra thin(so flexible) but has the moisture content of cardboard. Only marking is Made in Austria. As fine as any Velour encountered. Really a 7-1/8 but so soft and flexible it is easily wearable. No ribbon but some stitches at the back(Back Bow possibly) and from a former liner. About 5-1/2" open crown and 2-3/4" brim.

RLK, Wow that is some amazing velour! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
The color is fantastic too. Sorry about the condition but we take what we can with these rare old Austrian velours. :) Can you please post in the German - Austrian thread when you get a chance?

Stetson Whippet Straw

I was in Dallas for a fencing tournament so was able to stop by the Stetson Outlet in Garland yesterday.

Ended up picking up this Whippet Straw, size 7 3/8 for $39.00. They just got them in last week. As mentioned the straw is on the stiff side but still I very stylish look especially for the price.

4477173802_e06ea11917_b.jpg

4477173864_114b32d015_b.jpg

4476398361_cebf3a8da7_b.jpg

4476398469_ff42184bb5_b.jpg

4477174146_c40fc191a8_b.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
1930s Stetson optimo panama hat in 7 3/8, pristine condition.

It will be going up for sale in the classifieds soon.

30sstetsonoptimo001.jpg

30sstetsonoptimo003.jpg

30sstetsonoptimo004.jpg

30sstetsonoptimo005.jpg

30sstetsonoptimo008.jpg

Edit: hat is sold.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Love that one, Scott. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks Craig and Jimmy. I took JTMarcus' hat-stretching advice and clipped the threads at the back before putting on a full-size stretcher. It worked wonderfully, but is gradually slipping back to 7 1/8.

I had never seen the frayed bow on a modern (55 years old lol ) Stetson dress western (only the wide-brims), much less a 3X, so this was a thrill. Having said that, I just saw ANOTHER one, same felt color, same dark-green grayed bow, same measurements, same 3X...even the same size! The only difference was that the newer one has the late '50s/early '60s rectangular 3X sweatband logo. Amazing!

By the way - this is my first post since losing access Sunday morning. A miracle has since occurred. Jimmy - thanks for your advice in that thread, and same to others who added their very civil and thoughtful suggestions and explanations. I would have thanked you in the thread itself, but the hammer had curiously been dropped by a bartender, for reasons probably too deep for a humble internet subject to fathom, so I can only be thankful that it's impossible to march me out to the block for head removal.

Mikey P

One of the Regulars
mayserwegener said:
I was in Dallas for a fencing tournament so was able to stop by the Stetson Outlet in Garland yesterday.

Ended up picking up this Whippet Straw, size 7 3/8 for $39.00. They just got them in last week. As mentioned the straw is on the stiff side but still I very stylish look especially for the price.

$39???? Holy cow, I want one!!

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:
1930s Stetson optimo panama hat in 7 3/8, pristine condition.

It will be going up for sale in the classifieds soon.

Edit: hat is sold.
lol lol That never even made it to the classifieds did it? lol lol
I got to the third picture, exclaimed Holy S***, and then saw your edit.
You have to move fast around here. lol

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Mahagonny Bill said:
lol lol That never even made it to the classifieds did it? lol lol
I got to the third picture, exclaimed Holy S***, and then saw your edit.
You have to move fast around here. lol

Went 4 minutes before the first PM. You guys are slipping. ;)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
Went 4 minutes before the first PM. You guys are slipping.

That is just downright embarrassing. Nevertheless, I'm glad I was the first slackard to reach you...:eek: ;)

More photos...

30sstetsonoptimo001.jpg

30sstetsonoptimo002.jpg

30sstetsonoptimo003.jpg

30sstetsonoptimo005.jpg

30sstetsonoptimo006.jpg

30sstetsonoptimo007.jpg

30sstetsonoptimo008.jpg

30sstetsonoptimo009.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
That is just downright embarrassing. Nevertheless, I'm glad I was the first slackard to reach you...:eek: ;)

More photos...

30sstetsonoptimo001.jpg

It's a montecristi, right? if not then a darn well woven panama.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe