Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Interesting. I've only had two - the Open Road clone (that pre-dates Open Roads) and this one. Both were very obviously originally open crown - creases were poor and off-center on both. Both were also the same soft pliable felt, and both were Sterlings, so at least there's consistency within that quality level.
I suspect yours were well worn and cleaned on a number of occasions and no longer held their factory form. Pictures now in Portis Path.

billyspew

One Too Many
rlk said:
3910181544_3005a0cfc1_o.jpg

Just arrived and brushed. Firm factory shape and crease. Browner than expected.

I love those Portis'
They seem to have had some of the best brim and ribbon treatments and such distinctive crowns shapes.

Looks good on you too.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rlk, that Portis is an exceptional hat. I like that ribbon treatment's small band in the center and the two rows of stitching on the wide binding. :eusa_clap

billyspew, I really like the homburg (imagine that) and the National Heritage. Great finds on them both/all. :eusa_clap

Spats McGee

One Too Many
memphislawyer said:
Here is the new Stylemaster I received. Kinda kinda concerned that the brim is too big for me, but I also had this hesitation about the panama hat I bought and you told me that it looked good. I will post a comparison pic of the Stetson Saxon that I do like the look of. Sorry about the cell phone pics and will try to take digital camera pictures if need be. . . .
I like the Stylemaster, which you probably could have guessed. Obviously, it's got a bit more brim and crown than the Saxon, but I'm not sure that it has any more than the panama. I think it was a good choice. :eusa_clap

I've been away for two days and there are just too many nice lids since my last check-in to comment on them all.

Justdog

Practically Family
Depp Hat

ScottF said:
It's kinda got the look of the Depp publicity photo for "Public Enemies".

Thats an interesting observation so I looked to compare. It pinched into a fedora from open crown real easy. There is a discussion about that Depp Fedora and it is an amazing oxblood color. Optimo apparently has the felt.
Brim is definitely larger and I personally love a bit bigger brim.

Justdog

Practically Family
OR

Mr. Paladin said:
It has come! My Royal DeLuxe Stetson Open Road arrived yesterday afternoon and is a beauty. Detail shots on the Open Road Guild thread and I'll post the finished product when I decide on the crease. I love these hats! :D

RoyalDeluxeOR001.jpg
:eusa_clap

billysmom

One Too Many
Stetson Fifteen 3X

Lots of creasing decisions today: Mr. P, Justdog, Chili, Bob C. Here's mine that just arrived:

IMG00395-20090911-1926.jpg

Noggin shots will have to wait while we ponder ....

Sue

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Paladin said:
It has come! My Royal DeLuxe Stetson Open Road arrived yesterday afternoon and is a beauty. Detail shots on the Open Road Guild thread and I'll post the finished product when I decide on the crease. I love these hats! :D

Oh, yes, you done good Mr. P :eusa_clap ! You could just leave the crease as is for whenever you travel to... Kansas ;).

Justdog

Practically Family
3x

billysmom said:
Lots of creasing decisions today: Justdog, Chili, Bob C. Here's mine that just arrived:

IMG00395-20090911-1926.jpg

Noggin shots will have to wait while we ponder ....

Sue

Awesome color superb edge unique ribbon and I bet real soft.:eusa_clap

BobC

billysmom said:
Really soft. Felt's more substantial and softer than my Stetson Twenty Sovereign. :D

Sue

Wow. I can just about feel that one through my screen. Very nice, Sue.

Mr. Paladin

billysmom said:
Lots of creasing decisions today: Mr. P, Justdog, Chili, Bob C. Here's mine that just arrived:

Noggin shots will have to wait while we ponder ....Sue

Well done, maam. It will be ready for a new life in no time!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Well, I was on the road for the past two days, because I had to meet with some lawyers in my hometown (Mountain Home, Arkansas) because I'm trying to get a job there. (Oh, and I wore my mid-gray Stylemaster to both meetings). While I was driving up, I got a call from my wife, and the conversation went something like this:

Wife: You got a big box in the mail.
Me: Where'd it come from?
Wife: Looks like it's from Rusty.
Me: How big? Hat big?
Wife: Ummmm, 18 x 18 x 8?
Me: That's hat big! Have you opened it?
Wife: No.
Me: Well, what're you waiting for?!? Open it up!

She then opened the box & described the hat below to me. RBH had sent it & it is one of Major Moore's creations. It's just a touch too long front-to-back, and a bit wide, so it's going to be a perfect fit when all is said and done. The felt & sweat are markedly softer than my Stylemasters, and the ribbon, bow & brim edge are all dark green, so dark that it took us a while to figure out if they were green, navy, or black.

Thank you, Rusty, and kudos to the Major! This hat is one fine piece of work! Mrs. McGee also said that Rusty is "on her list," because he's successfully kicked my wanter into high gear for a custom Buckaroo hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe