Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks to everyone. It is very much my pleasure to have each of these. I feel that the Whippet is one of the finest examples of the embodiment of what a fedora should be.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
... I feel that the Whippet is one of the finest examples of the embodiment of what a fedora should be.

Yup!

Nice kennel. It looks like all except the new one are at least somewhat head trained.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
IMG_1432.jpg
Wow~! You pinhead guys kill me!:eusa_doh: lol

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
memphislawyer said:
Here is the new Stylemaster I received. Kinda kinda concerned that the brim is too big for me, but I also had this hesitation about the panama hat I bought and you told me that it looked good.

Well, how's it looking and is the brim shaped right?

Sam

Sam, my learned friend, that Stylemaster was a master stroke. Personally, I like it best of the three - but there's nothing wrong with the Saxon or the Panama either. The Style master just frames your face a little better IMHO.

But really...wearing fedoras is all in the attitude - and lawyers are paid to have lots of that!

Cheers
Neil

BobC

CRH said:
Yup!

Nice kennel. It looks like all except the new one are at least somewhat head trained.

The new one needs a little TLC to bring it back, but we'll get it there.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Chiliarches said:
I bought this Mallory taking a chance, because I didn't know the size...but I am at the smaller end of the hat size spectrum (7-1/8) and figured there was a good chance it was a 7 or 7-1/8...with exception to the darkening around where the crease used to be (I got it open crown) it is very good condition. According to the marking on the box - which I take to be those of the store - it is a "snow color," or nearly white.

100_1290.jpg

Lo and behold, a gorgeous 7-3/8. Bah! It is, according to the sweatband, a Mallory $12.50.

100_1293.jpg

100_1295-2.jpg

I like the edge - it is a very well done underwelt that gives the impression of a welted edge.

And now we present Jimmy the Lid with his version of the old Nelson Eddy/Jeanette Macdonald song..."When I'm calling you!..... http://www.amazon.com/When-Calling-Jeanette-MacDonald-Nelson/dp/B000001HHP

Mr. Paladin

It has come! My Royal DeLuxe Stetson Open Road arrived yesterday afternoon and is a beauty. Detail shots on the Open Road Guild thread and I'll post the finished product when I decide on the crease. I love these hats! :D

RoyalDeluxeOR001.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Just arrived and brushed. Firm factory shape and crease. Browner than expected.

Nice-looking hat. So, it's not soft and almost floppy? I was certain that won was older than mine, because it doesn't have a reed - 1940's - but seems odd that it has a factory crease. What are your thoughts?

In any case, welcome to the 'Portis Pug Pack' (are we it? :( )

buler

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Nice-looking hat. So, it's not soft and almost floppy? I was certain that won was older than mine, because it doesn't have a reed - 1940's - but seems odd that it has a factory crease. What are your thoughts?

Count me in too. See post #4463 in this very thread.

B

link:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
buler said:
Count me in too. See post #4463 in this very thread.

B

link:

Buler - that's a cool hat. I like the brim-binding and also growing fond of the hats with the small onion-skin tip (is that what you call it?) rather than a liner. Looks like another '40s one?

Someone else had mentioned that pugs were very Portisish, so maybe we'll hear from others.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:

Every Portis I have encountered has had a factory pressed crease(6 hats). The hat is soft enough and relatively light but has been firmly trained to a specific form. You can pop it out open crown but it can pop right back with a few pokes in appropriate locations. It could obviously be soaked and take up a new form if desired. I'll get some more photos up later. Buler's hat is interesting too. Portis seems to have had some imagination.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Every Portis I have encountered has had a factory pressed crease(6 hats). The hat is soft enough and relatively light but has been firmly trained to a specific form. You can pop it out open crown but it can pop right back with a few pokes in appropriate locations. It could obviously be soaked and take up a new form if desired. I'll get some more photos up later. Buler's hat is interesting too. Portis seems to have had some imagination.

Interesting. I've only had two - the Open Road clone (that pre-dates Open Roads) and this one. Both were very obviously originally open crown - creases were poor and off-center on both. Both were also the same soft pliable felt, and both were Sterlings, so at least there's consistency within that quality level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe