Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
The second recent arrival is this Barton, which I got from ebay. This is the first vintage fedora that I've been able to buy in a size even close to mine, so I'm understandably excited. Like the cowboy hat I posted above, it's a 7 3/8, so it will also require a turn on the stretcher. I'd never heard of Barton before I bid on this one, but I like this one. It's my second gray fedora, but it's an entirely different gray from my Stylemaster. I'm thrilled with the condition of this one. I'm not convinced that this one was worn more than a handful of times, but there's not a moth nibble in sight.

I really, really like the ribbon treatment. The brim edge is bound, which I like. There's no bow, but just kind of a little fold & tuck job on the ribbon on the left side. I also really like the patterned ribbon that was used.

As you can see, it's labeled Shippy Bros. Clothing, Stevens Point, Wis. The sweatband is in remarkably good condition, and the imprints are still very sharp. At any rate, I'm going to treat the sweat with Lexol before attempting to stretch it.

Here's the liner. It's a little yellowed, and you can't really read the words, but they say: "Designed and Created by Barton Hats. Ultra Process Waterprooofed." Now, this causes me some concern, as I want to stretch this one a little and rebash it. Is the waterproofing going to cause me trouble when it comes time for this?

Finally, I don't remember exactly what the seller said about age and I think I've already deleted this hat from my ebay lists. Any educated guesses as to its age would be appreciated.

Edited to add: The item description doesn't make a real claim as to the age of this hat, but only says, "This vintage fedora says Chicago-style of the '30's and '40's."

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Thanks, everyone. I've found mention of one other Barton here on the Lounge, but that's the only information I've been able to find.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spats, that is really nice. The detail shot of the pug really shows the ribbon pattern nicely and you are right, that bound brim tops it off. Nice win.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
Nice Barton, Spats. I haven't heard of that one either, but it's a looker.

Indeed.

After staring at that ribbon for much too long I've concluded that bows are for weenies and pugarees are for klutzes.

Way to go, Spats!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
My new panama Bob, I wanted a blue ribbon to go with jeans so...

100_0238-1.jpg

100_0247-1.jpg

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Love the Barton a lot, and good luck on that Resistol. Heck maybe down the road, Id do what High Pockets did, or Ill try to find a vintage hat. As it is right now, gotta start wearing the one I have and the Stylemaster that should be here maybe Friday :)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Spats McGee said:
The second recent arrival is this Barton, which I got from ebay. This is the first vintage fedora that I've been able to buy in a size even close to mine, so I'm understandably excited. Like the cowboy hat I posted above, it's a 7 3/8, so it will also require a turn on the stretcher. I'd never heard of Barton before I bid on this one, but I like this one. It's my second gray fedora, but it's an entirely different gray from my Stylemaster. I'm thrilled with the condition of this one. I'm not convinced that this one was worn more than a handful of times, but there's not a moth nibble in sight.

Finally, I don't remember exactly what the seller said about age and I think I've already deleted this hat from my ebay lists. Any educated guesses as to its age would be appreciated.

Edited to add: The item description doesn't make a real claim as to the age of this hat, but only says, "This vintage fedora says Chicago-style of the '30's and '40's."

I would not stretch that hat - the sweat appears to be sewn directly to the felt, and if it's '40s those little threads holding the sweatband in are liable to snap.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
I would not stretch that hat - the sweat appears to be sewn directly to the felt, and if it's '40s those little threads holding the sweatband in are liable to snap.

Hmmmm,... that's certainly something to consider. I have slightly stretched a lot of hats but I don't think I've done it to an unreeded sweatband set-up.

FYI - When I do stretch a hat, I apply Lexol, as Spatz mentioned, but I also do two other things: I wet the ribbon all around the hat (grosgrain relaxes when wet and then stays in the position in which it dries), and I steam the hat all around the brim break with the stretcher just snugged in to the hat. Once the steam has really softened the felt, I crank a little.

For the directly sewn sweat band that Scott pointed out, one would be advised to repeat this process carefully and incrementally over a series of stretch sessions, if at all. I'd attempt it because that's such a cool hat, I would want to wear it, but boy, would I be careful.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
Hm, I'm not sure I've noticed that the threads of unreeded sweatbands
are more liable to break from stretching than those of reeded sweats.
If the threads are "liable to snap" they seem to go about it whether
or not the hat is stretched. If the stretching is not severe and the
threads are made of something that is still intact, it seems to work okay.

Much more important is to follow the suggestions HPG made. And go slow,
which I find the most difficult.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Thanks for the advice

As far as stretching the Barton goes, first of all, thanks for the advice guys. I've stretched a new hat and I'm in the process of stretching a second one. I have never stretched a vintage, though, and I am a little worried about it. I'll take all the tips I can get from you guys. I want to wear that hat, but I want to avoid ruining it more than I want to wear it.

I can get the hat on and it's just a bit snug, so I'm not going to have to stretch it much. I haven't located any Lexol yet, and this project will not begin until I've treated the sweat. Besides, I only have one stretcher and the Resistol is currently on it.

I know to go slowly, and that's not a real problem for me. I can be patient about this. I am concerned about the waterproofing. I'm afraid that the treatment will interfere with the ability of steam or water to soften the felt. The felt is as stiff as anything I've run across. Anybody else dealt with vintage hats that are supposed to have been waterproofed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe