Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

babs

A-List Customer
And it'll keep your ears warm. bwahahahaha! :)

But no kidding.. Ignorant newb question of the day:
Can a good soak and sunlight draw that hat up enough to wear?
Wow, I had no idea felt hats could draw up that much.

babs said:
Can a good soak and sunlight draw that hat up enough to wear?
Wow, I had no idea felt hats could draw up that much.
New felt will shrink some & a wet leather sweatband will draw in as it dries too. That is why I try to let a rain soaked new hat dry on my noggin if at all possible. Leather shrinks as it dries because oils are lost with the water evaporation & the leather tightens up. Top of the line sweatbands tend to do this less than basic level ones. All of my Campdrafts were on large side of 61cm but all have formed well to my head with good wearing with sweating & soaking with distilled water for creasing. I don't think you'd get as much shrinking with Heritage level hats from Akubra. Vintage hats were "aged" to reduce it but modern ones don't spend as much time in that process anymore. As they always say, It Depends!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Kreissaege said:
Unfortunately, it was a very very roomy size 62, so it will take some serious shrinking before I can even consider giving a bash and wearing it in:

That hat looks seriously huge. I'm sure you know this, but don't do anything to it until you are sure you aren't sending it back.

My one and only Akubra was also too big, but I let it endure a rain storm, then re-bashed while wet so that it conformed very closely to my head. It worked, but yours looks wayyyy big.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Habig Zefir

3859072985_e061efc6ef_b.jpg
3859860066_3392cf69f0_b.jpg

I'll add more details in German & Austrian...

High Pockets

Practically Family
StylinLA said:
Got it awhile back, but here's a beauty from Art Fawcett. Silverbelly with diamond crown and burgandy ribbon.
SilverBelly1.jpg

:eek: My mouth actually started watering at the sight of that hat!!

StylinLA,....that may be the most beautiful hat I ever saw!!

munchausen

One of the Regulars
That's a biiiig hat

gtdean48 said:
New felt will shrink some & a wet leather sweatband will draw in as it dries too. That is why I try to let a rain soaked new hat dry on my noggin if at all possible. Leather shrinks as it dries because oils are lost with the water evaporation & the leather tightens up. Top of the line sweatbands tend to do this less than basic level ones. All of my Campdrafts were on large side of 61cm but all have formed well to my head with good wearing with sweating & soaking with distilled water for creasing. I don't think you'd get as much shrinking with Heritage level hats from Akubra. Vintage hats were "aged" to reduce it but modern ones don't spend as much time in that process anymore. As they always say, It Depends!

Or you could just leave it in the back of your car on a sunny afternoon. :D

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kreissaege said:
Unfortunately, it was a very very roomy size 62, so it will take some serious shrinking before I can even consider giving a bash and wearing it in:

I don't think you can shrink that one up enough to make it fit. Mine shrunk only slightly with several good sweats and yours is MUCH bigger than mine. Good luck but I bet that one needs to go back....

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
New haul - a couple of nice ones...

Reddish-brown DePinna with an orange ribbon...nice felt -

100_1148.jpg

100_1150.jpg

100_1151.jpg

The ribbon has staining issues, as you can see...but it also has a really thin Cavanagh/Mode/guild/Whatever-It's-Called-Here edge -

100_1156.jpg

s/100_1180.jpg[/IMG]

Also a greenish-brown Mallory with a red ribbon and gold edge binding...the felt is paper thin and extremely soft. This one may end up on the classifieds because it's a 7-1/4. The stitching on the sweat is about 2/3 gone so I will probably try to fix it before I post it...unless someone wants it now. I may keep it if I decide a fixed-and-then-stuffed sweatband makes it look good on me.

100_1175.jpg

100_1176.jpg

100_1177.jpg

Here are the colors under two different lightings...flash and the evening twilight -

100_1178.jpg

100_1180.jpg

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
HarpPlayerGene said:
Well done, Chilli'! Great looking ribbon work on those.

Thank you sir - I agree, the ribbons are really sharp!

jimmy the lid said:
Yup -- that's a great looking hat. :eusa_clap

Which one, the Mallory? I actually mused to myself that if it were a a 7-3/8 it would have your name written all over it! The nice ribbon/edge binding combination and the big brim and the swoop...all the vital ingredients to a JtL photo!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Kreissaege said:
2682009.jpg

That' how they wear 'em in Kansas.....

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chili, both of those are outstanding, but that Mallory is a fantastic lid. It has everything anyone could want in a vintage lid.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Mr. Paladin said:
I don't think you can shrink that one up enough to make it fit. Mine shrunk only slightly with several good sweats and yours is MUCH bigger than mine. Good luck but I bet that one needs to go back....

It has already been shrunk to the point where I only have to put some pads in the sides and wear it for in!!!:)

I will post a pic of the done hat in the Campdraft thread.

RobStC

A-List Customer
Chiliarches 7 1/4 Mallory

Also a greenish-brown Mallory with a red ribbon and gold edge binding...the felt is paper thin and extremely soft. This one may end up on the classifieds because it's a 7-1/4. The stitching on the sweat is about 2/3 gone so I will probably try to fix it before I post it...unless someone wants it now. I may keep it if I decide a fixed-and-then-stuffed sweatband makes it look good on me.

Chiliarches,

If you decide not to keep that 7 1/4 Mallory, just let me know and I'll give you a very good price for it - fixed or unfixed sweatband. It's beautiful!!!

Rob St.C

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82