Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, guys!
The wait worth it.
Have all the brands covered—that I was interested in.
Now all I have to do is fix up about 15 hats that I have waiting to be restored or repaired that I can add into my collection and will be satisfied and can say I’m done.
Goodbye HAS!
(Though I may still buy “flip hats” if in great, or restorable condition—at a steal)
Wonderful Disney, Randall.

However, just when you think you're done with HAS, HAS will suck you in again :cool:

Wonderful Disney, Randall.

However, just when you think you're done with HAS, HAS will suck you in again :cool:
IMG_4038.gif

IMG_20230630_172936899_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230630_172951203_Original.jpeg

Stetson Select Quality - Black
About 4 3/4 crown as shaped
2 inch grosgrain ribbon
2 1/2 brim with overwelt

With I’m sure over 100 years of dirt and dust accumulated on it, this Stetson Select Quality was quite a bit more dirty than could be seen from the seller’s single photo of the outside. But after a very heavy brushing, the dark black felt was coming back to life. It spent most of its life it would appear in a very deep center dent with likely side dents. The creases long the previous side dents were kind of severe and the hat mostly wanted to fold into itself whenever returning to the center dent. A big heavy does of steam and more brushing seems to have smooth out some of the crease and returned some of the integrity of the felt. The crown has a lot to work with.. I didn’t measure it open. But it’s standing about 4 3/4 as I shaped into this wide tear drop in order to drop some the crown height without giving it too much taper. It also helps me make the most of two small tears.. one in the pinch and one at the aft. The 2 1/2 brim is formed with an over welt and then rolled slightly around the sides and back of the brim… sort of cambered. Then the front is tugged down in the style of a vintage bowler brim.

The hat was originally sold at The Busy Big Store in Luddington, Michigan for what appears to be $6.30. As much as I want to see if there is a manufacturer tag and Lot # Stamp inside the sweat.. I resisted the urge as even though the sweat appears in decent shape, I do not want to damage the old leather trying to get a peek behind. I believe the taped seam and small circle size tag do point to a bit older hat.. but I don’t know.. I would think 10s or 20s might be reasonable estimate. If someone has more insite, that would be great.

I’m not sure if I am set on this crease.. it definitely prefers its center dent with side dents in a Cowboy or bankers crease…. But I’m not sure that I do.

IMG_20230630_172951203_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230630_173013593_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230630_173058952_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230630_173145818_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230630_173112287_Original.jpeg
IMG_20230630_173236829_HDR_Original.jpeg
IMG_4057.jpeg
IMG_4056.jpeg

View attachment 529388 View attachment 529389

2 inch grosgrain ribbon
2 1/2 brim with overwelt

With I’m sure over 100 years of dirt and dust accumulated on it, this Stetson Select Quality was quite a bit more dirty than could be seen from the seller’s single photo of the outside. But after a very heavy brushing, the dark black felt was coming back to life. It spent most of its life it would appear in a very deep center dent with likely side dents. The creases long the previous side dents were kind of severe and the hat mostly wanted to fold into itself whenever returning to the center dent. A big heavy does of steam and more brushing seems to have smooth out some of the crease and returned some of the integrity of the felt. The crown has a lot to work with.. I didn’t measure it open. But it’s standing about 4 3/4 as I shaped into this wide tear drop in order to drop some the crown height without giving it too much taper. It also helps me make the most of two small tears.. one in the pinch and one at the aft. The 2 1/2 brim is formed with an over welt and then rolled slightly around the sides and back of the brim… sort of cambered. Then the front is tugged down in the style of a vintage bowler brim.

The hat was originally sold at The Busy Big Store in Luddington, Michigan for what appears to be $6.30. As much as I want to see if there is a manufacturer tag and Lot # Stamp inside the sweat.. I resisted the urge as even though the sweat appears in decent shape, I do not want to damage the old leather trying to get a peek behind. I believe the taped seam and small circle size tag do point to a bit older hat.. but I don’t know.. I would think 10s or 20s might be reasonable estimate. If someone has more insite, that would be great.

I’m not sure if I am set on this crease.. it definitely prefers its center dent with side dents in a Cowboy or bankers crease…. But I’m not sure that I do.

View attachment 529390 View attachment 529391 View attachment 529392 View attachment 529393 View attachment 529394 View attachment 529395 View attachment 529396 View attachment 529397

What a thing, Joe! Everything about it speaks of its vintage. You just can’t recreate those details. I’m glad you two found each other.

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab

2 inch grosgrain ribbon
2 1/2 brim with overwelt

View attachment 529390 View attachment 529391 View attachment 529392 View attachment 529393 View attachment 529394 View attachment 529395 View attachment 529396 View attachment 529397
Very cool! Love that big ribbon.

2 inch grosgrain ribbon
2 1/2 brim with overwelt

Superb hat, Joe. Really like the vibe of it. The brim style is one I enjoy most about these old hats.

Pellie

One Too Many

2 inch grosgrain ribbon
2 1/2 brim with overwelt

What a great find! Cool.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Finally found a Disney about a month ago.
Took four years of hard searching, but I really like the one I ended up with. Embroidered liner makes it a bit nicer. Love the colors, too!
Had to upsize it two notches, though.
Wasn’t mint condition, but good enough.
It cleaned and shaped up nice with no loss of proportions. View attachment 528934 View attachment 528936 View attachment 528938
Wow, great hat and great refurb!

I recently picked up an orphan Disney Hats box and was naively thinking I could easily find a mate for it. You are a patient and persistent man if you’ve slogged through 4 years of “Disney Hats” searches to pick up this beauty ;-).

IMG_6121.jpeg

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many

2 inch grosgrain ribbon
2 1/2 brim with overwelt

Really one of the prettiest new releases here at the FL for a while: Thanks for sharing, Blare!

Randall Renshaw

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, great hat and great refurb!

I recently picked up an orphan Disney Hats box and was naively thinking I could easily find a mate for it. You are a patient and persistent man if you’ve slogged through 4 years of “Disney Hats” searches to pick up this beauty ;-).

View attachment 529585
Thanks, WS!
That’s a sweet straw topping that nice, rare hat Box!
Though I happen to have around 70 vintage hat boxes, I don’t consider myself a dedicated box collector. All my collection hats aren’t kept in the boxes, which is admittedly smarter, but up on the wall using plastic bowls or tennis balls screwed into many of my walls so I can admire them and get to em. Hey, I’m single and can get away with it! :)
(Howbeit, I am hoping to find a Flagship box at a cheap price and ones on eBay are usually too much for my money)
Do you have a particular hat brand needing a box?
I may have one you need and might make an even swap for that Disney box; if interested, shoot a PM!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe