Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Tooch - That is one nice looking hat - and bash. I'm curious though - the pic seems to show a touch of green in that gray - does it appear that way to you too?

Val,

There is a bit of green in the gray. The color listed on the tag is "spruce," so the color blend makes sense. I took to it immediately, since it's a bit warmer than a standard gray.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
My lovely wife surprised me with this beauty for our anniversary. She found it on a thrift shop in Providence R.I while visiting her folks last week. She said the liner was falling apart and it didn't have a sweat band. She had it cleaned, blocked and also put a leather band. Not the best pictures as I just took them and it's dark. The color is a grey silverish one. You guys like it? I love it!

DSC04118.jpg

DSC04116.jpg

A smart and generous wife...the perfect combination....

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Tooch said:
Val,

There is a bit of green in the gray. The color listed on the tag is "spruce," so the color blend makes sense. I took to it immediately, since it's a bit warmer than a standard gray.

Tooch - spruce is a good description of that color. Looks good on you too.

RBH

Bartender
bolthead said:
Has anyone ever seen or heard of one of these before?

I tried to do a bit of research, (Google) but didn't have much luck. It pointed me to westerns and Ruffia....?

I thought it was interesting and it was only $13.

It's very light weight, soft felt, and of course rollable, so it's very pliable.

I couldn't get any close up detailed without the flash to show, but it has perforated air holes on each side as well.

It also has an interesting crease sewn down the middle of the crown, front to back.

It came with this interesting little (clip on) pin. It looks like a red cross emblem, or maybe swiss? [huh] Maybe someone here can shed a little light on it for me.....

Ruffie003.jpg
Ruffie006.jpg
Ruffie001.jpg
Ruffie002.jpg
Ruffie005.jpg
Ruffie004.jpg
I like the looks of that one Bolt!!!
A super travel hat!!!

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
bolthead said:

I tried to do a bit of research, (Google) but didn't have much luck. It pointed me to westerns and Ruffia....?

It's very light weight, soft felt, and of course rollable, so it's very pliable.

I couldn't get any close up detailed without the flash to show, but it has perforated air holes on each side as well.

It also has an interesting crease sewn down the middle of the crown, front to back.

It came with this interesting little (clip on) pin. It looks like a red cross emblem, or maybe swiss? [huh] Maybe someone here can shed a little light on it for me.....

Ruffie003.jpg
Ruffie006.jpg
Ruffie001.jpg
Ruffie002.jpg
Ruffie005.jpg
Ruffie004.jpg

I really like the side profile on that one, that forward lean in the pinch is the look I really like. That background also looks intriguing. Any chance of a wider shot of that?

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
More Catch Up Pics

This is a derby my step-father gave me. He said it belonged to his father-in-law. It had no liner and no sweatband. The brim had come apart from the crown and needed stitched back together and the ribbon was rotten. This is the end result.

hats2038.jpg

hats2039.jpg

hats2040.jpg

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
Dreispitz said:
Just arrived, today. It was part of an ebay auction of a hat box. The hat was described as filthy and was an option for 5 EURO plus. Well, the box is in fact filthy and the hat quite a find :rolleyes:

More in the Borsalono Brotherhood thread.

That is a really nice hat. Borsalinos my size, 7 1/2, are rare and go for a lot

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WoW.....

RBH said:
I ran across this for you Bolt...

This Ruffie ad is from 1936 in Kokomo Indiana.
The last ad I could find was from 1940.

ruffie.jpg

Thanks a bunch Russ. Now I can get an idea as too how old it might be. :eusa_clap

How do you guys come up with these gems? [huh]

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I can't get over today's slew of amazing hats.

Rusty, I'm glad to see you got that vintage Stetson - in your size - for such a good deal. You deserve it, buddy. And the center dent is the way to go on that hat for sure. Well done!!

Chili', it takes a lot to make me jealous but sonofugun, what a Stratoliner that is!!! Among the most outstanding hats to ever grace the Lounge, I'd think.

rlk, those westerns look great - especially the CB! Looks like flawless felt.

Bolty, that roller is way cool, and way old it seems. Looks like it's in such good shape that it came as a surprise that it's probably 70 years old! Wow.

Aureliano's anniversary present and warmentrout's bowler save are both wonderful in terms of hats and stories.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

DOUGLAS

bolthead said:

Ruffie003.jpg
Ruffie006.jpg
Ruffie001.jpg
Ruffie002.jpg
Ruffie005.jpg
Ruffie004.jpg

This is an amazing hat, man! Congrats:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Aureliano's anniversary present and warmentrout's bowler save are both wonderful in terms of hats and stories.

Thanks Gene you're always so nice!:eusa_clap

RBH

Bartender
HarpPlayerGene said:
I can't get over today's slew of amazing hats.

Rusty, I'm glad to see you got that vintage Stetson - in your size - for such a good deal. You deserve it, buddy. And the center dent is the way to go on that hat for sure. Well done!!

Chili', it takes a lot to make me jealous but sonofugun, what a Stratoliner that is!!! Among the most outstanding hats to ever grace the Lounge, I'd think.

rlk, those westerns look great - especially the CB! Looks like flawless felt.

Bolty, that roller is way cool, and way old it seems. Looks like it's in such good shape that it came as a surprise that it's probably 70 years old! Wow.

Thanks my friend!!!
I agree with all the rest you said too! :eusa_clap

BobC

Not-Bogart13 said:
A couple of new lids to add to the fray;

1. My newest VS: The Toreador. I have become enamored with black hats as of late, and I wanted something different. I knew Art would have the good sense to know if I was sane, and the ribbon collection to do the job right. The fabulous result;
3820639973_a199e061fb.jpg

2. A little experimentation outside my comfort-zone - both in terms of design and hatter. This one is from Tonyb (I'm calling it the Alfonse);
3820665485_cb87255b62.jpg

Beautiful, both of them, NB. Don't you think that black hats are both a curse and a blessing? Every time I wear one of mine I spend ten times more time brushing it, but they look so darn good with a black/gray/charcoal outfit of some kind. I have The Black that Mike Moore made for me with the cool gray ribbon, and now an all black Whippet that is primo, and I love them both.

Tony turns out some sweet lids too. His are a little more daring. That one is cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe