Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
A special hat deserves a special crease, so I asked Jimmy to work his magic on it. He agreed. Thank you, friend. ;) I'll post the after pics later, but I just couldn't wait to post this one.

Can't wait to get my hands on that one! And, don't worry, I won't let a knife get anywhere near it. I've got the dog patrolling the perimeter looking for a guy from Florida wearing a Knox Tom n' Jerry...:D :D :D

Cheers,
JtL

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BobC said:
This new lid arrived at our house on Monday. It's one of the nicest I've caught yet. The felt is incredibly smooth, soft and dense...makes my 3X OR's feel like sandpaper.

A special hat deserves a special crease, so I asked Jimmy to work his magic on it. He agreed. Thank you, friend. ;) I'll post the after pics later, but I just couldn't wait to post this one.

That looks like an excellent specimen Bob. I can't wait to see it after Jimmy gets his hands on it!

pfatherpfedora

New in Town
Hat info

Since I'm pretty much a fedora newbie, I'd like some info on a hat I bought on Ebay. The lining says it is from Lee fifth avenue. It also has the words water bloc on it. On the sweatband is the Lee logo with the words black label. Also on the sweatband - Lundquist-Lilly, Seattle-Tacoma. Can anybody tell me anything about this hat? Thanks!

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Nice one Mario

Mario said:
Yesterday, my Mallory Ten Pliafelt arrived!! It came uncreased in a neat little Mallory box and is a 6 7/8. Crown height (open) is about 5 3/8", brim width is 3 3/4" and the black ribbon is 1 5/8" wide. The felt is just amazing. Made me want to sleep in it (sit down, I didn't!). There are a few moth nibbles on the brim (top and bottom) and a few spots here and there, but sponge and brush helped to remedy most of this. Then there is some nasty green residue that seeped through the felt from some stuff that had been applied to the back of the sweatband. It showed up on the bottom and the top of the brim. I managed to get rid of the stuff on the sweat by using some lighter fuel (most of the discoloration on the brim went as well), but I'm still going to give the hat a good Naptha bath later today or tomorrow (I'll have to be careful here, though, as the sweatband is a little bit stiff at the back).

For now, I put in a simple center dent to keep the reverse taper.

Someone here daring to date the hat based on the images?

Lest I forget: I really have to thank mayserwegener for shipping the hat over to Germany (the seller wouldn't ship outside the US)!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

'Nuff said. Here is the hat (it's actually slighty darker than it appears to be in the photos):

I really like the pinch you've put on this one. I recall seeing a hatblock for sale from an online site and I think they called the style an "extreme (something)". Wish I could remember it, but it looked like that. Lovely stuff, I've only just started getting felts like you're describing. Wish I knew if it was because of a special process thing or because they mixed beaver (or some other fur in).

Anyway, congrats again.

BobC

HarpPlayerGene said:
GIMME THAT HAT. MUST... CUT... THE HAT....

woyzeck-klaus-kinski-holding-a-bloo.jpg

lol lol lol

BobC

Billysmom, nice looking Borso. The felt on those older ones is to die for.

Cookie, sharp looking Mallory. It has a whippetesque look about it, and I love the wide brim binding.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Can't wait to get my hands on that one! And, don't worry, I won't let a knife get anywhere near it. I've got the dog patrolling the perimeter looking for a guy from Florida wearing a Knox Tom n' Jerry...:D :D :D

Cheers,
JtL
Want me to do the steaming?lol lol lol lol lol :rolleyes:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
Billysmom, nice looking Borso. The felt on those older ones is to die for.

Cookie, sharp looking Mallory. It has a whippetesque look about it, and I love the wide brim binding.

Bob, I have to break it to you...Cookie was merely commenting on MY sharp looking Mallory with that whippetesque look and the lovely wide brim binding!! :whip: lol :D ;)

BobC

Mario said:
Bob, I have to break it to you...Cookie was merely commenting on MY sharp looking Mallory with that whippetesque look and the lovely wide brim binding!! :whip: lol :D ;)

Ohhh, sorry, Mario. Nice Mallory! I love the wide brim binding. :eek:

munchausen

One of the Regulars
I do believe he's sincere. :)

BobC said:
Looks fabulous, Gene! I knew it would. Where's the noggin shot!

I concur with BobC. Very nice job on the 7x, HPG. :eusa_clap I have no compulsions to attack brims with knives yet, but at least I know to use a #11 exacto blade when I do. :D

I'm learning so much from here... you know that's how to keep your brain healthy?

BobC

chanteuseCarey said:
BobC, especially the mighty fine hat you are wearing in yours! And to Jazzincocktails, YES!

Why thank you, Mrs. Carey. That's Major Moore's hat. We had the pleasure of visiting his shop in Covington, TN, recently, and I just had to bring home a souvenir to remember the occasion. That's his Moorelite felt in natural. It's so light I can wear it in the IL heat and humidity, and I far and away prefer felt to straw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe