Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I had one like that and asked how the seller came up with their size, and they said they measured the opening front to back and thought that was the size. I came across another like that recently too.

This is a common occurrence. Sometimes the sellers will provide the measurements I ask for and sometimes they will look behind the sweatband for labels. If the seller doesn’t comply or says they can’t find labels then it’s caveat emptor and I have to decide if the risk is worth it. Even if I can re-sale the hat and recoup my money it’s a hassle.

Arrived today.....my Stetson Twenty-Five, with the later logo, I would guess this is early 60's (this hat was made when we still had silver in our coins)....and well quite the hat!!! Definitely Hand Creased with a tolerable asymmetrical rancher, it is a sort of blueish tint dusty grey, an interesting color not just ivory or tan like many.........5 1/2" to 5 3/4" crown (I have a heck of a time measuring crowns) 3 1/4" brim which has a nice western "swoop" that is not overdone. With OR appointments (thin bound brim, and thin ribbon with wind cord) it is a nice looking hat (though is NOT an OR). Has a 2" brown roan sweat with protector behind. Could not find the blocking tag, between the sweat protector and the lining (which came all the way down to the reed tape) it was hard to see what may be lurking and I just did not want to turn the sweat all out....This hat is awesome and looks like I bought it yesterday.....no apearance of wear at all...looks like it was bought, brought home and never worn.......

So far I am quite pleased with the felt on this one, thin and well pounced.........Will ad more when I post to the Stetson Twenty-Five thread. Still deciding if I will leave as is or change the crease and flange......
original_4188e98f-ce4f-4fc1-b119-4adfea436a36_IMG_20220319_120448.jpg
original_9631fabd-8313-42ca-a029-928356bb1d10_IMG_20220319_120526.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Arrived today.....my Stetson Twenty-Five, with the later logo, I would guess this is early 60's (this hat was made when we still had silver in our coins)....and well quite the hat!!! Definitely Hand Creased with a tolerable asymmetrical rancher, it is a sort of blueish tint dusty grey, an interesting color not just ivory or tan like many....... View attachment 411571 View attachment 411572
Ooh-la-la! So well preserved, even the hat box is in good condition. That hat looks so strong and resilient. Note resilient, not hard, like good wool, one of the defining characteristics of a good felt hat is that it retains its shape. Well done, lucky you, and if you ever fall out of love with it...............

Arrived today.....my Stetson Twenty-Five, with the later logo, I would guess this is early 60's (this hat was made when we still had silver in our coins)....and well quite the hat!!! Definitely Hand Creased with a tolerable asymmetrical rancher, it is a sort of blueish tint dusty grey, an interesting color not just ivory or tan like many.........5 1/2" to 5 3/4" crown (I have a heck of a time measuring crowns) 3 1/4" brim which has a nice western "swoop" that is not overdone. With OR appointments (thin bound brim, and thin ribbon with wind cord) it is a nice looking hat (though is NOT an OR). Has a 2" brown roan sweat with protector behind. Could not find the blocking tag, between the sweat protector and the lining (which came all the way down to the reed tape) it was hard to see what may be lurking and I just did not want to turn the sweat all out....This hat is awesome and looks like I bought it yesterday.....no apearance of wear at all...looks like it was bought, brought home and never worn.......

So far I am quite pleased with the felt on this one, thin and well pounced.........Will ad more when I post to the Stetson Twenty-Five thread. Still deciding if I will leave as is or change the crease and flange...... View attachment 411571 View attachment 411572
Nice find, Mark, especially in such a nice condition.

So far I am quite pleased with the felt on this one, thin and well pounced.........Will ad more when I post to the Stetson Twenty-Five thread. Still deciding if I will leave as is or change the crease and flange...... View attachment 411571 View attachment 411572

Excellent pick-up, Mark.

This is how I measure crown height: Turn hat over and place flush against the bottom of a table or desk. Then you can extend a ruler into the crown and measure against where it hits the bottom of the table.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Bluegrass Green Camp Draft. Easy to shape into my usual 4 1/4 to 3 3/4 rake diamond crease. Good looking hat, as stiff as can be—reminds me of the red plastic fireman helmets my kids had. Do these things soften up?

Ordered from the Hattery. Took three weeks to get here, including a full week in customs on both ends.

Happy to have a hat I can wear with rain, sunblock, air travel, hiking, wind, etc. and not worry too much about it getting damaged or blown to sea.

I do appreciate the details of the wind trolley and plastic tip liner!The color really changes on this thing in different light.

Happy Sunday!

David

5B941F09-0F2E-4429-BD3B-243E2E475276.jpeg
8AE3CAB1-F351-4225-B9D9-231233969622.jpeg
1FF69B74-6B14-4656-BCF7-8CBF66644408.jpeg
7D88E768-9DDD-4F65-990B-1B215F841024.jpeg

Beautiful hat, Mark

Bluegrass Green Camp Draft. Easy to shape into my usual 4 1/4 to 3 3/4 rake diamond crease. Good looking hat, as stiff as can be—reminds me of the red plastic fireman helmets my kids had. Do these things soften up?

Ordered from the Hattery. Took three weeks to get here, including a full week in customs on both ends.

Happy to have a hat I can wear with rain, sunblock, air travel, hiking, wind, etc. and not worry too much about it getting damaged or blown to sea.

I do appreciate the details of the wind trolley and plastic tip liner!The color really changes on this thing in different light.

Happy Sunday!

David

View attachment 411648 View attachment 411646 View attachment 411649 View attachment 411650
Looks sharp

First, great hat David! I think the way you've shaped it really suits you.

In my opinion the best way to soften an Akubra is to "work" the felt--crease and re-crease the crown, snap the brim up and down, wear it and handle it. All of that "flexing of the felt" breaks up the stiffeners and makes the felt softer. Also, when you can, wear it in the rain. Akubras like rain. ;)

In my opinion the best way to soften an Akubra is to "work" the felt--crease and re-crease the crown, snap the brim up and down, wear it and handle it. All of that "flexing of the felt" breaks up the stiffeners and makes the felt softer. Also, when you can, wear it in the rain. Akubras like rain. ;)

“Akubras like rain”…have you moved? ;)
Yesterday we got our first measurable rain in two months. We have pastures that are already turning brown. All the ranchers are planning on supplemental feeding and some are having to haul in water too! My rain hats didn’t get much use this year/decade. :(

Mighty44

One Too Many

Good to know—thank you sir!

Mighty44

One Too Many

Okay—did as directed and it already is feeling much better, more like a hat and less like a helmet. ;) Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe