Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Finally changed the ribbon on the second straw hat, I bought at Buckaroo Hatters in March. Not a very luxurious hat, but a nice alternative to my better straws. The price just crawled into two digits, so it was a great buy:

Front.jpg Side.jpg Three_Quarter.jpg OR.jpg

The original ribbon was a rather stiff black two-ply. I changed it to a dark brown old French ribbon and a bow in OR-style. The feather I plan to donate to a parrot in need ... should I ever meet one :)

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
This was the "hat find of the century" for me to have found and purchased for my Husband. It is as new as it was the very day it was made back in the 50's. The hat even still had half of the plastic protective that was covering the hat when brand new. This hat is smoother than any hat that has come into our home. It is light as a feather, I was actually shocked on how light it is. The liner is spotless, the leather sweatband is not only supple, but soft and you can smell the leather of it, that new leather smell. It has been creased as a cattleman crease for such a long time, but I was able to push that out with ease...however for now, I am leaving it as is.

The hat box had no insert. I was just a bit bummed out about that. So...I made one. It was so easy. Less than 25 minutes. I started out with a Redwings boot box, but, my Husband would not want me to cut up some NOS boot boxes, so I opted for using a Carolina boot box. I cut a circle just shy of the size of the hat box lid, I knew that would be about right to fit. I measure the hat in an "open crown" shape to make sure how much a "tube" for fitting in the middle hole of the circle would have to be, and cut it just shy of 6 inches wide, and made it 25 inches long, rolled it into a tube, cut some tabs out so they could be attached to the bottom side of the circle, used some extra strong packing tape to install the tube into the circle and taped the tabs on the bottom, placed that in the hat box, and then the hat into the insert.

My Husband tells me I get the Wife of the Year award, again! lol!

This was someone's passed by eBay purchase, and of course I had tracked it down and now, it is my Husbands. It was tagged inside to be a 7 5/8 long oval, but perhaps having been in storage is shrank some as it fits my Husband's 7 1/2 long oval head pretty darn good.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That is a beautiful band.

Richard, congrats! The northwest looks superb.

I found this very soft, but very luxuriously smooth Dalton derby last week. Not stiff at all. It has a nylon fabric sweatband similar to my eilerman. Pics of the interior to come.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1397916217555.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397916217555.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 149
  • uploadfromtaptalk1397916240937.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1397916240937.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 141

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Indeed Richard, nice Derby Jeff!

The luck was also on my side today!

Found a easter suprise on a fleamarket in Bonn!
A fantastic "old stock" it's New" Rockel Melone with a fabric sweatband. The Melone is a long hair Velour but not so old as it looks. I guess it's from the 70s or 80s.
A young couple was the seller and a lot of Rockels and other brands from the shop from the grandpa, who closed his shop, on the table! I bought only this hat. The other ones was in larger sizes.
That little hatpin was a nice gift from the young couple!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe