Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
This black 30x Stetson. I do hope to be able to fix it as sweatband is falling off and the seller glued it. Looks like a helmet. Low crown and 3,5" brim.
30xstet01.jpg

30xstet02.jpg

30xstet03.jpg

30xstet04.jpg

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been after a semi-calado for a while and found one in Pachacuti's clearance section. At full-price Pachacuti are definitely over-priced for the quality, but at the sale price this will do okay with a little shaping:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Joao : It seems like the leather is reasonable healthy, and it's "only" the thread, that broke. You should be able to stop the unraveling and sew the leather back to the reed-tape. Best of luck.

Richard : That's a sweet weave pattern! With a little training it'll be the sharpest semi-caldo in Kent. Looking forward to a pic from "the wall" ;)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Joao. Hopefully you can repair the sweat. I have never seen a sweat that had thirty Xs on it, opposed to "30X". Interesting.
Neither do I. Must search how the new 30x hats are printed in the sweatband. Can´t figure how old this can be.

It looks repairable Joao - good luck.
Joao : It seems like the leather is reasonable healthy, and it's "only" the thread, that broke. You should be able to stop the unraveling and sew the leather back to the reed-tape. Best of luck.
The leather looks nice and undamaged. Don't know how the reed(?) is, as I must remove the glue first.
With my sewing skills I should be able to re-sew.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Stetson Medalist Eagle Vita Felt

Stetson Medalist Eagle, I just couldn't pass this one up. The hat has a 2 1/2" raw edge brim with a 4 3/4" crown as shown. The crown is wrapped in a 1 3/4" grosgrain ribbon. Vivid gold color on Stetson liner logo. The original $7.50 price tag is glued to the back of the sweatband along with the hat color but I can't read the writing. The Vita Felt is super soft. My guess is the hat dates to around 1942 when the Eagle was first introduced. The following info was provided by Brad Bowers in the Stetson Medalist History thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?32439-Stetson-Medalist-History

Stetson Medalist
First used June 23, 1938, Filed July 6, 1938

Stetson Eagle
First used March 26, 1942, Filed March 28, 1942

Vita-Felt
First used July 30, 1940, Filed August 8, 1940.

photo3-39_zps453e33b8.jpg

photo1-12_zps5655339e.jpg

photo2-32_zps05e1ce33.jpg

photo1-37_zps6b4a5f5d.jpg

photo3-85_zpsa5af0e33.jpg

photo4-21_zps147f93fc.jpg

photo3-95_zps1cab4ade.jpg

photo1-30_zps953674a9.jpg

photo1-34_zpsc5ad18c9.jpg

photo3-89_zps0b1f65cc.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice... condition looks great. My guess would be early 1940s. First use of Vita-Felt is shown in the trademark registration as July 1940. Manufacturing tag is the transitional 3 panel with block number only stamped. Size tag is manila rather than gold. Sometime around the Pearl Harbor era.

Is there a LOTXXXX stamping on the reverse side of the sweat?

edit: carouselvic has narrowed it down better... I'm off by at least 3 months.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Alan I looked for the lot number and there is no sign of one unless it's under the price tag, which I doubt. I own quite a few 40s and older Stetsons and I have yet to find a lot number on any of them. Here is a 1942 Eagle ad listing the $7.50 price tag and Vita Felt process which is the same as the Eagle I posted. The color of the hat on the ad is called "Freedom Blue."

Thanks all for the compliments.

StetsonEagle_zps8f3ed17c.jpg

Last edited:

gear-guy

Practically Family
Yesterday came home with a Pendleton straw 3 in. brim and today my purchase of a Cane rod beaver 2 5/8 brim from a fellow lounger came. Happy with both.

20140416_194810.jpg 20140416_194708.jpg 20140416_194747.jpg

Alan I looked for the lot number and there is no sign of one unless it's under the price tag, which I doubt. I own quite a few 40s and older Stetsons and I have yet to find a lot number on any of them.

It would be larger than the price sticker - usually at the front of the sweat. They disappear sometime after 1940... always curious for a tighter timeline. Enjoy the Eagle!

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gear-guy - nice finds. I was very tempted by that Cane-Rod, but I'd have needed to stretch it a little.

Young Fogey - suits you to perfection!

John Galt

Vendor
Stetson Medalist Eagle, I just couldn't pass this one up. The hat has a 2 1/2" raw edge brim with a 4 3/4" crown as shown. The crown is wrapped in a 1 3/4" grosgrain ribbon. Vivid gold color on Stetson liner logo. The original $7.50 price tag is glued to the back of the sweatband along with the hat color but I can't read the writing. The Vita Felt is super soft. My guess is the hat dates to around 1942 when the Eagle was first introduced. The following info was provided by Brad Bowers in the Stetson Medalist History thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?32439-Stetson-Medalist-History

Stetson Medalist
First used June 23, 1938, Filed July 6, 1938

Stetson Eagle
First used March 26, 1942, Filed March 28, 1942

Vita-Felt
First used July 30, 1940, Filed August 8, 1940.

That is a grail hat for me. Beautiful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe