Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Joao I didn't expect to see it either. Any idea when you think it was made? I say mid 40s or older! I don't know if this one was made for the European market or US.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Joao I didn't expect to see it either. Any idea when you think it was made? I say mid 40s or older! I don't know if this one was made for the European market or US.

photo3-201_zps66ddfab4.jpg

That's actually an extremely interesting hat. I'm not an expert on zoot suit hats, but that MAY be an original zoot suit hat, which are VERY rare. From the looks of the hat, it appears to have dress weight felt and a flange to the brim. I would call it a western, but the flange tells me otherwise. Also, Zoot Suit hats were made in wild colors to match the wild patterns of the suits and even though the hat isn't bright orange, the color doesn't say "western" to me either. The tall crown would have been used with a deep c-crown or the very popular deep telescope I suspect.

The Zoot Suit fad didn't last very long and wasn't popular among everyone in the general public at the time, so VERY few actual Zoot Suits and Zoot hats are out there. If it really is a Zoot Suit hat, its from the 40's.

Last edited:

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Nothing like the Borsalino posted above, but here's a pic of my just received Dobbs Fifth Avenue being overshadowed by my Churchill.

Churchill_Dobbs_1.jpg

If I'd have realized just how stingy that brim is I probably wouldn't have purchased it. Still, I'm sure it'll see some wear.

Last edited:

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
1900s Stetson Expo Long-hair

The sweatband is not original, but other than that, the hat is in immaculate shape! Only a few minor moth nibbles. The color is a light tan with a brown ribbon. Very nice in person!

dscf0811.jpg

dscf0812.jpg

dscf0813.jpg

dscf0814.jpg

dscf0815.jpg

On the noggin.

dscf0816.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nice acquisitions, all.

Justin, that is spectacular! I'd call it champagne! Looks to be in amazing shape too. You've got quite the knack for these old long-hairs.

Roan

One of the Regulars
Yesterday was a crazy hat day; I decided to make the rounds of the various antique stores and wound up with three new hats! One is a dark brown Lee fedora, it has a very thin Cavanagh edge and the felt is very soft and floppy. It's got almost a velour like feel to it. The sweatband is made of the thinnest leather I've seen thus far and almost has a papery quality to it. The hat came with the original box, which is also covered in some type of velvety material and, has the original care instructions on the bottom of the lid.

Here are some photos:
Lee-3.jpg

Lee-2.jpg

Lee-4.jpg

Lee-5.jpg

Lee-6.jpg

Lee-7.jpg

Lee-9.jpg

Lee-8.jpg

Lee-1.jpg

Roan

One of the Regulars
Cont'd

The other two hats I found were a 50's Stix Baer & Fuller with Cav edge, and a not-so-old Barlesoni with a bit of a pencil curl to the edge of the brim.

Stix Baer & Fuller
SBampF-1.jpg

SBampF-6.jpg

Barlesoni
Barlesoni-2.jpg

Barlesoni-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe