Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PORTIS PATH

can't get enough of that one Greg .... such a great score

That's one heck of a GREAT find Greg.

A classic example of a Portis Gregg, congrats

Beautiful hat BB! Looks to be in excellent condition also. Glad you got it!

Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the kind comments. I'm pretty happy with this one though I'm afraid I may be cut off after this purchase. I can't buy anything more hats, either.

this is my 4th attempt at a cut off ... I'm trying to stick to it ... we'll see

I do have a reserve plan in case a real grail piece pops up...

there is an "out" clause in every contract

Yeah, I keep saying the same thing. I'll only pull the trigger on a "deal." But then another pretty hat strolls by and gives me that come hither look and I just melt.

Or I see that puppy out in the rain and have to take it in, reblock it and put in a new sweatband...

Awesome hat Greg! All I found was an empty box ... :(

25790614622_7a7febfe33_z.jpg

25816435691_28c7297d50_z.jpg

25790609812_d8d5ac4e6b_z.jpg

25610820140_ac8c656e80_z.jpg

25613897580_165145690c_z.jpg

stetsonofagun

One of the Regulars
Here is my one Portis hat. It actually could be a hard one to find. But what do I know? Haha.

Mmm, Com-Foamatic.... More like "Com-Foam-EverywereUghWtfDude"

The devil-foam has been cleaned out and replaced with a thin strip of craft felt.

1efe4553143267ad73b55adaf971c8a7.jpg

e8014acf18d48990b163dd3959bd107a.jpg

e4affafd82c8fdf182b675e842a2313e.jpg

bcf0ffbffc61951dac4dc31e5f9fdce6.jpg

- Andrew

Frank chops

New in Town
I worked in in a upscale men's store in the 40's when I was a high school student. Dobbs 20 and Mallory hats were are top lines and we carried Portis hats that were a less expensive option. The Mallory was made from Belgium hare fur that never loss their shape. Although more popular, Dobbs wasn't on the same par as th Mallory. We also , sold homburgs, sailor straws and hand made Panamas. The price ranged from 10.00 to 25.00.

buler

I'll Lock Up
I worked in in a upscale men's store in the 40's when I was a high school student. Dobbs 20 and Mallory hats were are top lines and we carried Portis hats that were a less expensive option. The Mallory was made from Belgium hare fur that never loss their shape. Although more popular, Dobbs wasn't on the same par as th Mallory. We also , sold homburgs, sailor straws and hand made Panamas. The price ranged from 10.00 to 25.00.

Welcome, Frank. You should start a new thread... "I sold hats in the 40's" and tell us more about it!

B

Frank chops

New in Town
To add to my first comment about selling hats in the 40's I mentioned that our line of
Mallory, Dobbs and Portis price range was 10.00 to 25.00 which back then in some cases was a weeks wage. With the top line you had your choice of a free feather for you hat band, otherwise it cost a quarter. But in most cases, I would throw one in on the house. All hats came un-blocked individually boxed. And as each hat was removed from the box, you would brush it with a price of serge cloth to inhance the nap. The customer also had a choice of a plain, bound, welt or reversed welt brim edge.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
To add to my first comment about selling hats in the 40's I mentioned that our line of
Mallory, Dobbs and Portis price range was 10.00 to 25.00 which back then in some cases was a weeks wage. With the top line you had your choice of a free feather for you hat band, otherwise it cost a quarter. But in most cases, I would throw one in on the house. All hats came un-blocked individually boxed. And as each hat was removed from the box, you would brush it with a price of serge cloth to inhance the nap. The customer also had a choice of a plain, bound, welt or reversed welt brim edge.

please post more

I want to just pull up a chair and listen to you talk about this subject all day

please chime in with any memories that pop into your head ... or better yet make a thread

do you have any pictures from when you worked in the store?

I want to hear about how many hats you guys would sell per day ... what was the purchasers process like compared to today ... did you have regular customers you knew by name .... things like that

please tell

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
I have seen many Portis hats on ebay. Never purchased one, though.

Also found this....

Portis Brothers Hat Co.
Portis Hats was a manufacturer of hats from 1914 until the late 1960’s.
Started by Portis siblings Isadore, Arnold, Theodore, Lyon and Henry the Portis Brothers Hat Co. was based in Chicago and later moved their manufacturing across the lake to western Michigan.

They did a lot of advertising in magazines such as Esquire and Colliers. The quality of their hats was very good and they operated under the the name “Portis Brothers” and “Portis Hats”.

Portis Hats are luxuriously soft because they are felted from the world’s finest hatters furs. Count on them for sturdy, lasting performance!

You can buy all the hats you want, and we’ll bet you’ll want more than one new Portis Smart styles, almost military in their trimness, come in invigorating new shades — Freedom Blue, Cadet Grey, Autumn Brown and Service Tan?

You’ll enjoy the luxurious qualities – these soft felts are made from the world’s finest hatter’s furs?

Luxurious – bunny-soft feel
Smoother – more expensive looking felt
Water-Repellent – finish
Sweatproof – interlining…
All adds up to America’s best hat buy!

Portis Brothers Hat Co was taken over by Stevens Hats in the late 1960’s.

http://bernardhats.com/hat-companies/portis-hats/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe