Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just got this Stetson for Brooks Bros ordered.

Even at 50% off retail+ $10 I likely got screwed...I guess I'll know in seven to ten, but I thought I'd air my shame & solicit opinions anyway. I am afraid it will just be a gussied up Retro, a model I do not particularly care for. Clearly a cuenca, anyone recognize the weave? The brim looks backwoven, a good sign, eh? [huh]
Had I not seen the very bottom of a brand on the interior, I was ready to pass it up as a shantung.

Rick Blaine

My peevish feedback to J Peterman- over the top?

I am not certain just how complacent that you believe your customers to be, but recent experience gives me cause the think you also hold them in no small amount of contempt.

I purchased " Madison Avenue Fedora
Item No. 3907".

In the first place, do you feel your customers are so very dull that enabling them to order NUMERICAL sizes, as Biltmore made this hat, would just tax them too, too much?
I DO think we can rise to the challenge.
We are sophisticates, remember?
Thanks for the help, though.

Secondly- why oh why can you NOT IDENTIFY the hats MODEL NAME, MANUFACTURER and PERTINENT DETAILS? (e.g.- crown height, brim width, material composition, finish, edge treatment)? We CAN figure out ("Canada...1917...blah,blah"), WHO made it, n'k, what we need are some solid numbers.
BTW- you already had the best price around.

But instead you r' annoyingly coy copywriters (" brim is perfect", WTF does THAT mean, anyway?) are maddeningly imprecise.
This sad fact, coupled with what appear to be the first year FIT student sketches you think are catalog illustrations, leaves your customer to wonder just quite what they'll receive.
Not acceptable.

You COULD have taken the tack that this year would be the last in a almost century that the venerable Biltmore Hat Company will be making headwear in it's lush & verdant Guelph, Ontario location, its' years of tradition, the hockey team, the "hat trick" story, autumn in Ontario ... blah,blah...

But instead you spin some "Mad Man" Manhattan fantasy.

But what really SENT ME OVER THE EDGE, ~~~PAY ATTENTION~~~was the careless, thoughtless & sloppy discrepancy below, which shows even when you DO attempt to be specific, you cannot even seem do THAT right.

To wit: the BRIM WIDTH STATED AS IN THE COPY, was a dimensional '2 3/4" x 2 3/8"'.

What I RECEIVED was a lovely Biltmore with a mere 2 1/8" BRIM ALL AROUND!

Really?

Do you not understand that this "detail" (it's NOT) *entirely changes* the look, the character & the "je ne sais quoi" of the hat? This is another hat entirely than what, in over two hundred words, you miserably fail to accurately describe.

The fact that this major lack of compatibility or similarity between the (sketchy, unreliable) description, the (sketchy, small & smeary) sketch & objective reality seems to have entirely escaped notice of the retailer is quite disappointing.

This is a standard to which I would hold "Amazon" or "Pricefall.com", much less J. Peterman of Lexington Kentucky.

Be careful, or you'll be treading in "Urban Sombrero" territory & that would be a shame.

Yours,

Rick Blaine...

\//////////////////////

It's a very nice hat, it's just not the hat I ordered, or one I would wear, primarily because brims slimmer than 2 3/8" are not for me. Coming soon at an auction site near you.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Ahhh....just observation, but you bought 2 items from the estimable J.P.- one, his ridiculous BS, two, his ridiculous "genuine article";
even the best of us can be swayed by pithy prose, but PLEASE remember the source here-and it ain't the swashbuckling Peterman,
balancing a martini on the hump of his camel, whilst playing mumbley-peg with Lawrence of Arabia, using sabers, of course...

Rick Blaine

Ahhh....just observation, but you bought 2 items from the estimable J.P.- one, his ridiculous BS, two, his ridiculous "genuine article";
even the best of us can be swayed by pithy prose, but PLEASE remember the source here-and it ain't the swashbuckling Peterman,
balancing a martini on the hump of his camel, whilst playing mumbley-peg with Lawrence of Arabia, using sabers, of course...

Aye. The more fool me. :mad:

ideaguy

One Too Many
E-Z solution. Send it back. Dimensions wrong, money back, refuse all future catalogs of "the adventures of wattaguy!"
and let me know if you have any 7 1/2's rumbling around in the closet, needing a new home...M

Rick Blaine

Moore Hat Co. "Home of the Bulldogger" Lawton, OK. c. 194o's - 5o's?

Got this just now, I think it has promise & may be 40+ yo. I love the logo, the slogan &the box (hat ain't bad neither!). Looks like a dress fur felt (seller had it listed as "wool", I think she's mistaken) ...guess I'll see soon. Any Sooners out there who know of this place? I have been able to find little other than some obits of little old Ladies that once worked there.

_UPDATE_- just found these:

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
This little 1930s Danish beauty arrived today. It is CHARMING when wearing it tilted to the side. Can't wait for winter, and my site, to show it off to the world!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/156796862/1930s-forest-green-felt-hat-orange?ref=col_view

Wow, what a nice find! A beautiful, vivid and daring color-combo from a troubled period - quite remarkable. Fonnesbech was a very classy ladies shop in the absolute most expensive part of central Copenhagen - in the 'high end' of the (first and for many years, only) walking street. If you are interested, here is a small article on the company

I recently picked up this J. Hückel´s Söhne Wien Melone from a non-eBay source. Size 5 3/4 Point(yes quarter Point sizes). It was made for the Czech market so liner wording in Czech (J. Hückel'a Synove Viden). I am pretty sure it's from around WWI. Looking forward to it's arrival.

9584556518_a59f33ae3d_b.jpg

9581762031_a25ff63232_b.jpg

9584620444_10a5637cd5_b.jpg

Last edited:

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Wow, what a nice find! A beautiful, vivid and daring color-combo from a troubled period - quite remarkable. Fonnesbech was a very classy ladies shop in the absolute most expensive part of central Copenhagen - in the 'high end' of the (first and for many years, only) walking street. If you are interested, here is a small article on the company

Wow! Thank you so much Dane! I love to know the history behind the milliners whose hats I wear and this gives me a good start on this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82