Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTHER THAN eBAY Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
A bartender who doesn't know how to make a martini is not a bartender. Let's insist on enforcing some standards! Is the hat named after the town, named after the process, named after the man?

Imagine getting a Martini in a rocks glass, or without an olive or twist, and you'll have an idea of the level of competency I'm talking about.

The hat is named after the steel mill neighborhood (which was once a separate town) in which I and the historical society reside, which is named after the process, which is named after the man. :)

I'm not really set up to be a full-service custom shop like Art, Tony, or Mike Moore. That was once the plan, but teaching college full-time is enough work as it is. I've limited myself to the #52 style block, and have a limited set of flanges. I also have a limited collection ribbon, so if you like wide ribbon in black, I can do it. lol I have some other limited colors in narrower ribbon. Point being, I can make a late-'20s/early-'30s style of hat, but not much outside of that framework.

Brad

Mystic

Practically Family
I guess this goes here. I'm on the Board of Directors of the Bessemer Historical Society, who own and operate the Steelworks Museum and CF&I Archives here in Pueblo (CF&I was the biggest steel mill west of the Mississippi). Last night was our annual banquet, dance, and silent auction to raise money. It was a 1940s-themed event, so I made and donated a hat for the auction, a model named "The Bessemer." It only sold for $70, which was about what I anticipated, but gentleman that won was very appreciative of it. It attracted a lot of attention, including from the local newspaper, and they talked to me about interviewing me sometime in the near future.

Biggest gripe of the evening? None of the bartenders knew how to make a Martini - they had to look at a cheat sheet! They were still messed up. And I didn't get to have my picture taken with the "cigarette girls." lol
TheBessemerAtAuction.jpg

Brad

I have limited knowledge of what it takes to make a hat.......But.....

You made a hat .....at your house....

That's AMAZING !!!! AMAZING !!!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pulled these two out of the "Etsy"-uary this morning

brownwhipalino.jpg

Borsalino Whippet clone. Sz. 6 punti

Preston.jpg

PRESTON TWENTEY-FIVE for $28!

Prestoncomp.jpg

Anyone know anything about "Preston Hats"?

Rick Blaine

Thank you gents!

I can find a single ad in a newspaper ad for Preston dated 1918 -(THE BEST HAT $2.50 CAN BUY, BETTER THAN MANY COSTING $3.50).

The Borsalino was too sweet to pass on, it's unworn.

Landman

One Too Many
I don't know anything about Preston Hats but that is a nice looking hat. Looks like it has a San Antonio, Texas address in it. If it has any other San Antonio info in it let me know and I'll do a little asking around.

Landman

One Too Many
Glyco-Tite also comes up with a Bradford hat in web search...

That's why that Preston Hat looks familiar. I have a Bradford Open Road clone with an almost identical liner except mine says Bradford Hats where that one says Preston Hats. I'll get it out later and take some pictures.

Rick Blaine

The logo reads "Dancer The Hatter, San Antonio."

I don't know anything about Preston Hats but that is a nice looking hat. Looks like it has a San Antonio, Texas address in it. If it has any other San Antonio info in it let me know and I'll do a little asking around.

Last edited:

Walt

One of the Regulars
I hate the Etsy search engine even more than Ebay's. Find it very tedious to find things on there. Time to start playing with their API's....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82