Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok, so some things in the golden era were not too cool...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
You sure that says horse? :p

Think so.

This one definitely does:

horse-meat-france.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

The whole "all of the pig but the squeal" attitude towards eating during the depression and well before kind of grosses me out. I don't eat cow's tongue, brains, or liver. It grosses me out too much. On the other hand, I eat sausage regularly, but my great uncle Buck used to work at a butcher shop and wouldn't eat a hamburger or sausage ever again.

Makes ya wonder don't it.... :confused:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Hi

The whole "all of the pig but the squeal" attitude towards eating during the depression and well before kind of grosses me out. I don't eat cow's tongue, brains, or liver. It grosses me out too much. On the other hand, I eat sausage regularly, but my great uncle Buck used to work at a butcher shop and wouldn't eat a hamburger or sausage ever again.

Makes ya wonder don't it.... :confused:

I loved heart meat as a kid -- heart sandwiches with mustard and ketchup, yum. Tripe was also no stranger to our table, even though it looked like something you'd use to scrub out the bathtub.

One of the most popular brands of hot dogs here when I was young -- Tasty Bite -- was made with offal (or "variety meats" as they euphemistically called it on the label ) but most of the national brands are actually made with good meat. I've actually made sausages for a living, and never saw sawdust, stale bread, floor sweepings, ears, tails, eyeballs, or any other of the horrific ingredients people imagine actually going into them.

However, if you buy those modern "snack" sausages sold at gas stations and bars, you better read the label close. There's a pretty good chance "beef lips" will be listed as one of the major ingredients. Yummy.

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
We don't live in the past but we can take the best from then and incorporate it into today. People have complained about the younger generation since before recorded history but I have seen a lot of improvement in the world during my lifetime. As the world becomes smaller (figuratively of course) we learn that people are more alike than different. It becomes more difficult to divide into "us and them" groups. I hope that didn't sound political. ;)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I loved heart meat as a kid -- heart sandwiches with mustard and ketchup, yum. Tripe was also no stranger to our table, even though it looked like something you'd use to scrub out the bathtub.

One of the most popular brands of hot dogs here when I was young -- Tasty Bite -- was made with offal (or "variety meats" as they euphemistically called it on the label ) but most of the national brands are actually made with good meat. I've actually made sausages for a living, and never saw sawdust, stale bread, floor sweepings, ears, tails, eyeballs, or any other of the horrific ingredients people imagine actually going into them.

However, if you buy those modern "snack" sausages sold at gas stations and bars, you better read the label close. There's a pretty good chance "beef lips" will be listed as one of the major ingredients. Yummy.

I've never tried heart, but I do love liver. I think I'm the only one in my family that does. Must have it with ketchup, though...

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

How would you recommend cooking heart? I have at least 5 lamb's hearts in the freezer. Normally I cook them up for the cats (boiling them) but I'd like to try heart meat. I just can't figure out how to cook it well so it is tasty and not tough.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
How would you recommend cooking heart? I have at least 5 lamb's hearts in the freezer. Normally I cook them up for the cats (boiling them) but I'd like to try heart meat. I just can't figure out how to cook it well so it is tasty and not tough.

I haven't had heart for thirty years, at least, but I remember my mother slicing it up, and browning it in a frying pan using drippings, since there wasn't a lot of fat on it. It smells *very* good when cooking, that I remember very distinctly. It also took quite a while to cook, so the heat wasn't set too high. Once browned up and cooked thru, throw the slices on some toast, add mustard and ketchup, and dig in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld