Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok, so some things in the golden era were not too cool...

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I used to love heart meat as a kid - my Mum used to make it for my Dad a lot - from what I can recall she used to stuff it (with the same stuffing you would put into a turkey or chicken) and wrap it in greaseproof paper and tie it with string and put it in the oven. It was really tasty - then again, I don't mind eating liver and kidney so eating heart isn't too much of a stretch for me.

I haven't had heart for thirty years, at least, but I remember my mother slicing it up, and browning it in a frying pan using drippings, since there wasn't a lot of fat on it. It smells *very* good when cooking, that I remember very distinctly. It also took quite a while to cook, so the heat wasn't set too high. Once browned up and cooked thru, throw the slices on some toast, add mustard and ketchup, and dig in.

Thank you both. I also have access to the kidneys and livers as well. I've made liver, but I'd never made kidney. Both these ways sound delicious. And since I hate fatty meat, I think heart will be the ticket for me!

One the Italian woman up the street from my parents made a cassarole-type dish using lamb brains from my parent's sheep. But it was pretty tough getting the butcher to give the brains up- apparently there were concerns about disease and such; and the butcher would only do it once- the next year he said no.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

With respect to the heart, lungs, liver, brain etc, I have NO PROBLEM eating anything that's chopped up in sausage with a good portion of actual meat in it. I don't eat Brain cause the Red Cross don't like that. Otherwise I'm good with most animals I've tried. I had BBQ goat once at a Vietnamese place, tasted like pork to me.

Later

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
BBQ goat is great. A couple of years ago I was invited by a hispanic friend to an impromptu goat roast down by the river. His grandma got a little too drunk and went skinny dipping. My eyes still burn.

Pig brain is good, if you know where the pig was raised. Small local farms provide some good food. Heart is ok, but tough. Lungs in soup are almost indistinguishable from tripe. Never cared for liver ... blech.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I recently tried Chitterling - pig intestines. I was in a shooting range in the middle of Somerset and an old gent came in with some wrapped up in newspaper. He took great pleasure in teasing everyone to give it a try and I'm the only one who did. I think it must have been boiled but I'm unsure. It was actually quite pleasant. It had that intense, offally smell and a faintly herby taste. It was the same sort of texture as corned beef.

I've no aversion whatsoever to eating anything that's edible. My Nan was a huge fan of offal - she often tucked into a heart! I know we have more choice of affordable meats these days but when you can buy chicken livers for 98p (approx $1.50) who's worrying!

In fact, a few years back I donated Bone Marrow and, as such, my red blood count was low. I was given a list of advisory foods to help build my iron back up. I was in hog heaven! Black pudding, liver, kidney! I had a pretty bad reaction to the anaesthetic and one of the only things I could stomach was liver, bacon and onion gravy - yum!

Betcha JP likes pulled pork....:D

Yeah man:
pulled-pork-sandwich-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld