Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutria million dollar bash hat

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Here's my Nutria hat, a 1930's Stetson "Kettle finish Boss Raw Edge Real Nutria" originally sold at Silverwood's, either at their "golden mile" store in Los Angeles, or in Hollywood, where they also had a store.
All bashes were done within a five-minute span: no steam, fingers only.
This fur is the most supple I have ever seen in any hat.

054.jpg

055.jpg

057.jpg

059.jpg

061.jpg

060.jpg

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
That, Mr. Akubra Man, is a BIG hat, like the country it comes from :eusa_clap

I'll come back with the true measurements of brim and crown, but it is very large, so much so that, when wearing it, I have to be very careful not to brush either brim or top against overhanging branches, halogen lamps or whatever comes in the way.

Not for the meek, definitely one of those Hollywood hats of the thirties... I admit I don't usually wear this hat in town, rather more at home watching TV, or around the house, walking the dog.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great find, Pablo. A very nice looking, big hat. You can almost see the softness of the felt in the pictures.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Akubra Man: crown (fully extended) is 7 inches, brim slightly over 4.
Mon cher Feraud: looking at the "intersection" of the crossed "ribs", one can just make out the shape of the bottle-mouth the hat is resting on. The felt is really very supple...
Paul

carter

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful!

How many ways can we say "beautiful" hat? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

A 7" Crown and 4" Brim need a well-balanced crease. I agree with Feraud that the Montana Peak
060.jpg

is my favorite for this classic. Could we see front and side views as well as pictures of the sweatband and liner? PLease. :)

1OldGI

Familiar Face
Are We Talking About Nutria, the Animal?

Agreed, that is one peach of a hat. Is it in fact made of nutria fur? Are we talking about the large rat type creature favored as Sunday dinner to Cajuns the world over?

In case you've never seen one, here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutria

For my money, it looks much better as a hat than it does on the hoof.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Carter: Front, side, liner views, coming up (as soon as I take pictures, daytime, over the weekend) and, all you guys, many thanks for the compliments, well earned by the ...maker of the hat (and the ones who breathed-in those mercury fumes).

ken100

Familiar Face
nice

Hi Pablo, thats a great looking lid, yeah its big, looks about the size of an akubra sombreo, we have a guy here in Australia who has a show called the Bush Tucker Man, wears the akubra sombreo with an amazing bash, have a look on utube, just an idea.
Ken

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
PabloElFlamenco said:
Akubra Man: crown (fully extended) is 7 inches, brim slightly over 4.
Mon cher Feraud: looking at the "intersection" of the crossed "ribs", one can just make out the shape of the bottle-mouth the hat is resting on. The felt is really very supple...
Paul

Thanks Pablo... you have a real beauty there- You just do not see many of those around in that good condition. I read an article in this month's "Cowboys and Indians" magazine about collecting old cowboy hats and their values. A two dollar hat can fetch +300 plus dollars. It has a photo of a 1930ish era hat similar to yours...an informative article.

carter

I'll Lock Up
That's It!

Akubra Man said:
Thanks Pablo... you have a real beauty there- You just do not see many of those around in that good condition. I read an article in this month's "Cowboys and Indians" magazine about collecting old cowboy hats and their values. A two dollar hat can fetch +300 plus dollars. It has a photo of a 1930ish era hat similar to yours...an informative article.

I knew I'd seen that article recently but couldn't remember where. Thanks Akubra Man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe