Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New jacket

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
Finally got around to taking some halfway decent photos of this one I recently finished. It is based on the pattern from a postwar Sears Hercules jacket that has always been a very comfortable, functional jacket. This is the pattern I use frequently & change up the options & add pockets, different collars etc to create one off jackets. I added some pockets on this one & a larger mouton collar close to the size I use for my B-2's. Also added an inner G-1 style windflap. Liner is a vintage looking cloth backed with a layer of polartec fleece for good insulation.

the original hercules;

in direct sunlight:

liner (added a smartphone pocket):

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
Yes, I made this. Have made jackets for years, but really gotton serious about it in the last year.

Hide is 2.5 oz steerhide & really soft and comfortable!

Really, REALLY impressive, in just about every aspect! I don't know a whole lot about making leather jackets but yours looks perfect to me and this is such a great looking hide! Awesome and yeah, functional design, too. What's the hardware?

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
Really, REALLY impressive, in just about every aspect! I don't know a whole lot about making leather jackets but yours looks perfect to me and this is such a great looking hide! Awesome and yeah, functional design, too. What's the hardware?

Zips are vintage , NOS brass Talons. May end up changing the side buckles out for brass to match. Had that part finished before I decided to use the brass zips...

Wow Steve, nicely done!
That original of yours is one of my favorite designs. Can you show us any others that you've made?

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I could make that jacket . . . . if John Chapman and David Himel "helped" me (e.g., did all the work while I filled their glasses of water).

Outstanding job! The fit is perfect.

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
I could make that jacket . . . . if John Chapman and David Himel "helped" me (e.g., did all the work while I filled their glasses of water).

Outstanding job! The fit is perfect.

Thanks! I always do the first one in my size, that way if nobody likes it, I can at least wear it!!;)

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
Thanks folks! I also do some restoration/repair work. I try to find "unloved" old jackets, fix them up & give them a new life with someone who will appreciate them.

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
Wow, thats some incredible work. How long does it take you normally to make a jacket?

Usually 2-3 weeks on average. If I have all the supplies here & don't have to depend on suppliers, shorter. I try to keep everything pretty well in stock except for some of the hides, but do have a large supply of goatskin arriving tomorrow from France.

Edward

Bartender
Lovely run of jackets. The 'cigarette pocket' on the one on the OP is a nice feature - I imagine it would be ideal for a phone or an ipod or some other such thing to which one might want easy access without unzipping on a cold day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe