Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New jacket

Could you please tell me, where did you learn to make leather jackets, and how did it come to it?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Me too. Steve,you should post the pics you sent me last week. There's a great B-2 and a few other bell ringers. They all look great!

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Tell me a bit about your backround. How long have you been doing this? Did you start with leatherworking, like bags and belts or did you begin with shirts and the like?

Your jackets look fabulous.

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
I started out working in a small limo factory back in the mid-late 80's installing vinyl tops. During any slow periods, the older guys in my section would put me on the sewing machine sewing pouches in the dividers. sSaid it was "good practice". Over the yrs, I started doing the interiors myself on my hotrods. About 15 yrs ago, I started fooling with jackets. I grew weary of paying someone to do repairs like knits etc. so had someone offer to loan me a spare machine & started doing my own repairs. That slowly turned into complete disassembly & reassembly on a couple that had rotten stitching. Those turned out well, so decided I wanted a shearling that I could wear due to originals being so fragile. I didn't want to damage my originals, so found a shearling supplier & bought a couple destroyed originals for patterns. I replaced the shearling only & re used all the original leather parts.

my first B-3 & M-445a;

The M-455a donor jacket;

Kinda got away from jackets for a few yrs & just wore the ones I had already collected, but last year, got back interested again. Bought a new machine & started getting it dialed in for this type of work, bought a hide & started on that B-2 pictured earlier in the thread & it turned out well. I kept finding other jacket designs that i liked but were either too expensive for my budget or not being reproduced by anyone & it has kind of taken off from there.

In fact, I had this large order of goatskin I have been waiting on arrive today. These hides are amazing! Much better than I had expected.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I really like that M-445a. It's a jacket I've never really looked at or known much about. It looks nice a nice hybrid. Great stuff.

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
Yes, those are the Navy version of the B-3. Kinda like what the M-422a is to the A-2. I always thought it was Neat that each branch had separate, distinctive gear until the "AN" changes took effect later in the war.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Me too.....jackets...Bikes & cars :) Have you thought about emigrating to the UK :)

Laurent

New in Town
hi,
i'm not very sure about the size, i think i have to go down to 40 and customized for a "short" sleeves and total length because it's a 42 lost worlds suburban horsehide i found on ebay and size US is very big. what you think please? sorry for my english
Laurent
2015-09-20 14.36.26-1.jpg

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
hi,
i'm not very sure about the size, i think i have to go down to 40 and customized for a "short" sleeves and total length because it's a 42 lost worlds suburban horsehide i found on ebay and size US is very big. what you think please? sorry for my english
Laurent View attachment 38591

Laurent,

That looks to be a good fit in the shoulders, so maybe a 42 thats about 1.5-2" shorter in length & maybe same in the sleeves? Sizing is such a subjective thing. It all depends on what you feel comfortable in.

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
Your Hercules is one of my favorites. I am wearing a HH version. I have another HH and a steer. Very nice work!

shot1437.png

DSC02596.JPG

WOW! Triplets!! That original Herc of mine is steer. The way the pattern is cut has always been a very comfortable fit for me & was my "go to" jacket most of the time. Only modification I did to that original was narrow the sleeves from elbow to cuff to take some of that "slack" out. Removed about an inch or so material during that "surgery". Soon I want to copy my brown one in black. Always looked for one but I see now where they all are!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe