Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help Finding a watch

KosstAmojan

New in Town
I am not a watch guy so I need some help with this. I'm not even a huge fan of watches but I do admit they look good on me so I'd like some help finding one that fits me.

Looking for a dress watch, gold colored case with a black leather strap. Thing is, I need it cheap, preferably under $100. It's not something I'm going to particularly treasure and I'll just treat it as necessary accessory. I'd rather spend money on almost anything else. The only reason I have a steel metal banded watch now is because it was a gift.

The reason I haven't just gone on ebay and gotten one is that I also need it not to be made in China or Vietnam. Non-negotiable. Ive learned country of labeling on watches, even expensive ones, is mostly none existent online. And yes I do know that some otherwise unavailable parts may come from there. Internet searches just keep bringing up the same japanese or Swiss expensive watches.

The best I've found is Orient watches for around $200 but I'd still like to drop that some. Thank you

TLW '90

Practically Family
I don't think you'll be able to find something under $100 that exactly mmeets your parameters if at all, unless it's 2nd hand.
The Seiko SUR434 is currently on sale for $119 from Scamazon.
It's made in Japan, and Gold colored, but it also has a matching gold tone bracelet so you would also have to buy a black leather band for it.

Timex has some black band gold tone options that are definitely under $100, but I'm not positive where they're made.
I know some of their modules are made in Indonesia or Singapore, and I believe they also use some Japanese quartz modules.
The cases are probably made in China regardless of where the module comes from though.

Another thing to keep in mind is that at this price range you're pretty much guaranteed to get a low quality strap that's barely leather if at all, so you'll probably want to focus on the watch / case itself and upgrade the strap.

KosstAmojan

New in Town
I don't think you'll be able to find something under $100 that exactly mmeets your parameters if at all, unless it's 2nd hand.
The Seiko SUR434 is currently on sale for $119 from Scamazon.
It's made in Japan, and Gold colored, but it also has a matching gold tone bracelet so you would also have to buy a black leather band for it.

Timex has some black band gold tone options that are definitely under $100, but I'm not positive where they're made.
I know some of their modules are made in Indonesia or Singapore, and I believe they also use some Japanese quartz modules.
The cases are probably made in China regardless of where the module comes from though.

Another thing to keep in mind is that at this price range you're pretty much guaranteed to get a low quality strap that's barely leather if at all, so you'll probably want to focus on the watch / case itself and upgrade the strap.
Thanks, I'll try ebay. It'll be a cold day in hell before I use Amazon again.

Monte

Practically Family
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new watch and would appreciate some recommendations. I'm looking for something versatile that can be worn both casually and formally. Budget-wise, I'm flexible but aiming for good value. Ideally, it should be durable with a classic design that won't look outdated too quickly. I'm interested in both analog and smartwatch options, so any insights on functionality and battery life would be great.

Please share your experiences and suggestions! What watches have you found reliable and stylish? Your input will help me make an informed decision. Thanks in advance for your help

Firstly, there are thousands of companies and price ranges. My Seiko Sport is a dive model and I think it works w any dress. My Vario is a basic military replica model. Goes w anything, imo.

Attachments

• 20231018_193016.jpg
    20231018_193016.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20240626_192536.jpg
    20240626_192536.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
Seiko makes many different designs, and are reliable. I have a couple vintage Seikos. They are great, and get compliments.
IMG_9043.jpeg
I typically wear a Tag/ Heuer. Battery life is about 1.5 years. This is the 1000 model from the 80s (I think).
IMG_9042.jpeg
These 2 are later models- 1990s
IMG_9045.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld