Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My recent experience with Alexander Leathers...

BobJ

Practically Family
About a year ago I discovered the Fedora Lounge and became fascinated with the wealth of freely shared knowledge here. I read most of the posts in the Outerwear section going back over two years. I learned more about leather and leather jackets than I ever imagined was even possible. And I began to think about the details I wanted in my "perfect, once-in-a-lifetime jacket".

In July I made contact with Amanda at Aero Leathers and requested the first leather samples of my life. In quick succession came samples from US Authentic, Schott, Bill Kelso, Goodwear, Lost Worlds and Langlitz. Wested charged me but never sent them, even after repeated queries.

Thanks, in large part, to the high esteem Aero seemed to garner among the more experienced here on the forum, and the fact that I definitely wanted horsehide, I began exchanging emails with Amanda, asking all the newbie questions about fit, styles, customizations and leather. I was just about ready to make the final order - just one more short email and it was going to happen … then everything blew up. Will and Amanda left. The horsehide/cowhide debacle unfolded. Waits at Aero shot up to six to eight months and my emails weren't being answered for weeks at a time. Arrrrgh!

So, I didn't know what to do. I put everything on hold and began looking at other brands. But I couldn't get Aero and horsehide out of my mind. John at Goodwear had some beautiful horsehide, but his waits were over a year and I didn't want an A2. Andy at Bill Kelso also had some nice horsehide and I was getting close to getting one of his "Relic Hunters" …when Alexander Leathers made a small, humble appearance.

At first there were no pictures, then a few of a limited number of styles, and now there are new styles and copious pictures rolling out all the time. Anyway, something about their Drifter struck a chord in me, so I emailed Amanda and started the process of a thousand questions again – this style, that style, taking the back from one style and adding it to another, removing cinch straps and side panels, changing pocket shapes and collar height, tapering sleeves and changing cuffs. She never made me feel like a bother. In fact, just the opposite occurred.

As time went on, the exchanges became more personal and friendly, and I began to feel that she wasn’t just trying to sell me something, but that she sincerely wanted to help me create the jacket of my dreams. Every harebrained customization idea I came up with, they were cheerfully willing and able to do – with only the occasional bit of advice. I was even able to communicate directly with the person who was going to sew the jacket together. Before it was over I told Amanda I felt the jacket was being made by friends.

I can’t imagine they’re not busy at Alexander – there have got be a million and one details involved in getting a new business up and running – so I was more than a bit surprised at the level of personal attention, the patience, the helpfulness and the good cheer I experienced. In all my sixty years I have never had a more pleasant experience dealing with a company. I now understand why Amanda had such a dedicated fan base when she was over at Aero: I didn’t feel like I was dealing with a company, but with a kind-hearted person.

Shameless shill? -- Yeah, I guess I am now. But I started out cautious and skeptical.

As helpful as Amanda was, it was what I learned from you guys here on the Forum that enabled me to even have a conversation with her. I owe so many of you a huge debt of gratitude. I wish we could all get together to compare jackets and I could thank you personally!

Many thanks and best wishes,

Bob

PS - Jacket has been ordered, description and pics later!

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
They may be getting a bit busier at AL but I don't think it compares to what Aero has had to deal with. I'm not sure if it's really understood by some just what a mess they were left in; and it's hardly surprising that emails were taking a long time to get answered then. Waiting times shot up because a lot of the staff left along with Will and Amanda and at the same time Aero had to make a lot of new jackets to replace missold ones. On top of the new orders.

Plumbline

One Too Many
They may be getting a bit busier at AL but I don't think it compares to what Aero has had to deal with. I'm not sure if it's really understood by some just what a mess they were left in; and it's hardly surprising that emails were taking a long time to get answered then. Waiting times shot up because a lot of the staff left along with Will and Amanda and at the same time Aero had to make a lot of new jackets to replace missold ones. On top of the new orders.

Capes ... this OP has posted NOTHING about Aero ...... Amanda, Will and 12 others of the former Aero organisation left of their own accord and as a result of whatever motives. REGARDLESS it has nothing to do with the OP's message and it will only cause this to degenerate into the same " my dad's bigger than your dad" rubbish which many others have gone intio .. it's neither helpful nor particularly fair to the OP.

Just MHO ...

The OP offered this about 'Aero"....

"Thanks, in large part, to the high esteem Aero seemed to garner among the more experienced here on the forum, and the fact that I definitely wanted horsehide, I began exchanging emails with Amanda, asking all the newbie questions about fit, styles, customizations and leather. I was just about ready to make the final order - just one more short email and it was going to happen … then everything blew up. Will and Amanda left. The horsehide/cowhide debacle unfolded. Waits at Aero shot up to six to eight months and my emails weren't being answered for weeks at a time. Arrrrgh!"
.........................................................................................................................

So Another member gave his explanation about why this came about and who was responsible...because the OP brought it up.
So who really is the bully?
The guy who always defends..insists on always dismissing..overlooking...and even personally attacking anyone who dare mention any blame? Who will argue post after post untill the thread has become all about his disgruntled hatred...again. What makes him think that Aero workers walked out on their own? Seems like it's always because 'nothing is proven'. So everyone effected by this disaster should keep their mouth shut..or he will shut it for them. Whether it eventually means another locked thread after a worsening needless battle again or not.
Nothing here has been said derogatory about the OP's new jacket..or even questioning his decision to go with another jacket company. Yet the same member has 'flamed on' to insure that this thread will became about nothing but his displeasure.
HD

Edward

Bartender
And there was I thinking I was alone....

This morning I have used, for the first time since joining the FL nearly six years ago, the forum software's inbuilt 'ignore' function, for the simple reason that I have tired of a poster exhibiting all the behaviours (and posting little else) that HD identifies above. The sooner everything comes out in the wash one way or another, to one end or another, the sooner this nonsense can cease and we can have our forum back. I intend this to be my final comment on the matter.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I see HD has quoted the OP's post Plumb. I think I was simply addressing his point about unanswered emails and long waiting times. Problems that seem to have put him off Aero and which came about for obvious reasons; and which AL don't have.

Actually I have been an AL customer. At the sale price it was an offer I couldn't refuse. One jacket was very good with a nice hide, and the second went back and the less said about it the better.

Ishmael

Practically Family
BobJ, hope your jacket turns out wonderfully.

No just a deep and passionate hatred of bullies Edward ......

I, for one, appreciate your voice on here PL. It seems a number of members have held kangaroo court and expect every member to get behind their verdict.

Justice don't play that.

tonypaj

Practically Family
This whole thing reminds me of "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" :

PETE: Wait a minute. Who elected you leader of this outfit?
ULYSSES EVERETT MCGILL: Well Pete, I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a vote.
PETE: Suits me. I'm voting for yours truly.
ULYSSES EVERETT MCGILL: Well I'm voting for yours truly too.
DELMAR O'DONNELL: Okay... I'm with you fellas.

I'm with Delmar.

schitzo

Suspended
BobJ, hope your jacket turns out wonderfully.

I, for one, appreciate your voice on here PL. It seems a number of members have held kangaroo court and expect every member to get behind their verdict.

Justice don't play that.

Damn straight.

schitzo

Suspended
...What 'whole thing'? About Bob ordering a jacket..OR..how this thread is becoming successfully turned into another Plumbline thread..?
HD

HD, that wasn't particularly cryptic

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself" (Christopher Hitchens)

and you might just crack it!

There's clearly two camps on TFL.
1) shameless shills coming to tell great stories of incredible things. New guys always. Wonderfully penned prose of this new potential kind of the FQHH throne.
2) those sick of such transparent shills.

Some interpret things one way, some another. But there's plenty that needs no interpretation, and some that will apparently become more clear in the near future.
On the one side, kangaroos. On the other, the blind, impartial, or maybe part of the crew. Anyone posting up a thread like this is baiting, plain and simple. The first one or two maybe I could have been naive enough to fallen for it. But once details of the split became more public, the number of new guys posting praise for those folks increased - all with "I'm just a new guy" tone of innocence.
Consider me not taking the bait.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Ugly day in Indiana? Here in the Geneva region it's been raining and snowing for 5 months in a row now. About 3 days of sun. At least the Aero / AL stuff keeps me entertained, even my dog refuses to go out (and he was born and raised on a farm).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe