Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mto cafe racer jacket suggestions

MadCat

Familiar Face
Hey all

I am getting ready to put in an order for another leather jacket. This time I am after a cafe racer in black.

I will most likely have Johnson Leathers make the jacket for me as I have been satisfied with their product.

When putting in the request, what are some of the things I should ask for? I don’t ride so is a bi swing back/yoke/gussets necessary? Should I go with a buco style collar? Hand warmers? One piece back? Leather type?

I am leaning towards horsehide but am open to suggestions.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
Hey all

I am getting ready to put in an order for another leather jacket. This time I am after a cafe racer in black.

I will most likely have Johnson Leathers make the jacket for me as I have been satisfied with their product.

When putting in the request, what are some of the things I should ask for? I don’t ride so is a bi swing back/yoke/gussets necessary? Should I go with a buco style collar? Hand warmers? One piece back? Leather type?

I am leaning towards horsehide but am open to suggestions.
Just take a look at the pictures of Cafe Racer and decide what you like. If it's ‘just’ about wearing it anyway, i.e. a fashion item, then functionality won't be the top priority. I don't need hand warmer pockets, gussets or action backs. A one-piece back is a matter of taste. I quite like a back yoke.
Leather doesn't really matter as long as it meets your requirements. I've had FQHH (too stiff for me), veg tanned sheepskin (very comfortable) and Badalassi (very nice, but also a bit stiff and above all loud). I've also had goat, but I didn't like the leather (5* leather). I would probably go for CXSH (steerhide) now.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
^^
MTO is possible, but not necessary if you can wear off the rack. My jackets are customised because my measurements are too weird for OTR ;-)

James Lavine

New in Town
Hey, sounds like a solid plan! If you're not riding, a bi-swing back or gussets might not be necessary, but they can still add comfort and range of motion. As for the collar, a Buco style is always a classic touch on a café racer and looks sleek. Hand warmers are great for functionality, especially in colder weather. A one-piece back gives a cleaner look, but it depends on the style you're going for. Horsehide is durable and ages beautifully, but steerhide is another good option if you want something a little softer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPDuran