Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military Hat Photos

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's the original ad, a Kuppenheimer's, 1909:
Kup10231909-1.jpg

dean

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Reproduction M1911 hat

Here's some photos of the reproduction (one example) M1911 hat we had made.

hat.jpg

As noted, there's a single example of this, as in the end the hatter didn't really want to undertake the project.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
In messing around with trying to post the photo, I remembered that there were some other examples made, but this was the one that was completed. The others weren't quite what we wanted, but at this stage, the hatter basically wanted to abandon the project.

Anyhow, while these photos don't show the color accurately (which is much closer to the military color), they do show most of the details.

DOUGLAS

Pat_H, That is a great looking hat. I will be posting My Grand Father's Campaign Hat and Side Caps tomorrow. I love the color of your prototype. How is the felt quality?

Pat_H

A-List Customer
DOUGLAS said:
Pat_H, That is a great looking hat. I will be posting My Grand Father's Campaign Hat and Side Caps tomorrow. I love the color of your prototype. How is the felt quality?

It's a good qualty beaver felt hat. When we started off on the project, that's what we wanted, and we were lucky in that the hatmaker made us a pretty good offer. In the meantime, they're work really took off, and these proved to be difficult to make, when considering all the original details that needed to be right (we provided them with an original M1911) as an example. Chances are the finished project would have cost more.

I think the original quoted price, now that I think of it, was about $120.00, which seemed pretty cheap to me at the time. Commercial Stetsons or Resistols of comparable felt quality are much higher.

DOUGLAS

Here is my Grand Fathers WWI Campaign Hat.
DSCN4305.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4306.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4308.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4307.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4310.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4309.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4314.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4315.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4316.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4312.jpg
[/IMG]

deanglen

Pat_H said:
It's a good qualty beaver felt hat. When we started off on the project, that's what we wanted, and we were lucky in that the hatmaker made us a pretty good offer. In the meantime, they're work really took off, and these proved to be difficult to make, when considering all the original details that needed to be right (we provided them with an original M1911) as an example. Chances are the finished project would have cost more.

I think the original quoted price, now that I think of it, was about $120.00, which seemed pretty cheap to me at the time. Commercial Stetsons or Resistols of comparable felt quality are much higher.

Pat,
What in the world made that hat so hard to reproduce? That one looks great! Is the ribbon the correct color? Did they have to run the brim around four times on the sewing machine, or did they have a multiple needle machine? I guess I'm surprised that hatters almost 100 years ago could do what our age finds daunting. That is a very handsome looking hat. How heavy is the felt? Is it board stiff on the brim? Is the crown pretty rigid too?
Does anyone at the other forum have the regs for a1911 posted, regarding regulations specifying the montant peak? I'll check, but if they don't, does anyone have such? I know, too many questions. But you're providing such a stimulating input on these hats and I really enjoy learning about them.

dean

deanglen

DOUGLAS said:
Here is my Grand Fathers WWI Campaign Hat.

Douglas,

Wear that hat, Douglas! How beautiful and how full of personal and national history it is! It's so nice to see those macro-close-ups, too, that's the kind of detail I love to see Thank you!

dean

deanglen

Here's a reproduction hat sold on OFAS with an interesting crown treatment. It looks like a compromise bewteen the montana peak and the regulation fore and aft, and does it perhaps represent what may actually have been done? Notice this fedora style in the other shot (No.13) which is from 1919.

4a15_1.jpg

dh023.jpg

[
dean

DOUGLAS

Great looking hats Dean. I am fond of #18 and #22.
As much as I would like to wear that hat I now feel that it is too important to use and it really does'nt fit anymore. I would definitely wear one like Pat_H has posted. I have My Grand Fathers Great Coat as well and it is the same color as the hat. I wore that as well all through school.

deanglen

Pat,

I read through the 1911 Campaign Hat thread you posted. Baggers bought a repro from What Price Glory. But it's wool, not fur felt. Here's the thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=11714&highlight=campaign+hat

Apparently producing a decent M1911 Campaign hat is too dificult for modern hat makers. The five rows of brim stitching seems insurrmountable to our age. Can you believe that? I will say this, I more inclinded than ever to have one of these hats to wear, not the modern DI hats, but the 1911 models. They're growing on me.

Douglas,
I understand about your Grandfather's hat, I wouldn't wear it out either unless it was Veteran's day and good weather. But a decent repro looks interesting. Baggers bought a campaign hat repro not too long ago and posted a picture, in which the brim showed some swoop to it. How did those guys in that era keep those brims so flat and disc-like, I wonder.

dean

DOUGLAS

It is amazing to me how much has been lost in hat making techniques. I would love a great 1911 to wear around.

DOUGLAS

here is an 80s East German Tank Helmut. I must admit I like this style.
DSCN4329.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4332.jpg
[/IMG]

Baggers

Practically Family
Finally jumping in here. The WPG repro is okay for what it is, but I really would like to get a decent fur felt version eventually. Gee, I wonder if Atomic Glee could consider this project once he gets brave enough?

As for the brim staying flat, you can make a brim press from two pieces of plywood or masonite, one of which has a hole in the center for the crown to poke through, and a couple of c-clamps. All you do is keep the hat stored in it. But I've come to the conclusion that unless the hat can be made in a long oval, the brims will distort (or swoop) as soon as you put in on and set it on your head. But judging from the pictures posted by deanglen recently, a lot of troopers back then didn't seem to worry about keeping their brims perfectly flat.

It would be nice to resurrect that project. Think of it, a good fur felt (doesn't have to be pure beaver) a comfortable sweatband and decent sizing. I'd be happy. :)

Cheers!

deanglen

Baggers said:
Finally jumping in here. The WPG repro is okay for what it is, but I really would like to get a decent fur felt version eventually. Gee, I wonder if Atomic Glee could consider this project once he gets brave enough?

As for the brim staying flat, you can make a brim press from two pieces of plywood or masonite, one of which has a hole in the center for the crown to poke through, and a couple of c-clamps. All you do is keep the hat stored in it. But I've come to the conclusion that unless the hat can be made in a long oval, the brims will distort (or swoop) as soon as you put in on and set it on your head. But judging from the pictures posted by deanglen recently, a lot of troopers back then didn't seem to worry about keeping their brims perfectly flat.

It would be nice to resurrect that project. Think of it, a good fur felt (doesn't have to be pure beaver) a comfortable sweatband and decent sizing. I'd be happy. :)

Cheers!

If wearing a fedora alone causes people to think of Indiana Jones, I imagine wearing one of these will have its own special associations, but I like their look and I agree, Baggers, someone needs to achieve the proper level of fur felt accuracy, even short of beaver fur. I liked the swoop in the pictures you posted in the other thread. Hats on me automatically do that. If I was a DI I wonder how I wouild keep it flat wearing it. The old Span-Am war guys didn't seem to bother with it being flat. But every picture of every DI I've ever seen wears them flat and round. My guess is, they don't push them down very far around the circumference of their head, but I notice they tilt them forward, using the chin strap or not, and that allows them to maintain brim flatness because the hat doesn't have to conform to the head as completely as if it sat squarely.

dean

DOUGLAS

I also like that swoop on Baggers hat. It seems to be more natural looking.

Baggers

Practically Family
I like the swoop too. I don't want it perfectly flat so I can be accused of playing "DI" or "State Trooper." A flat brim reflects an equally flat personality in my opinion. lol

Look, if J. Peterman thinks they can sell a cheap wool felt campaign hat, S-M-L sized, in the wrong color, and with a fantasy hat cord for over $100, then maybe there's a market for a similarly priced better quality version.

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally