Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEAT in the Golden Era

Luddite

One of the Regulars
As a vegetarian, I'll have to post a non-meat offering!

At least I think there's no meat in a snowball, but looking at the tear in the eye of the topmost one, I think they may well be sentient lifeforms. They're obviously staring wide-eyed in terror at the prospect of being consumed by the open-mouthed, manaiacal MAIN.......

jauntycooker.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
The 1950s, where rings of food took over the homes of many a fine family. We've never been the same since ...
The plot had been a-building since at least 1940, when the PET Milk people gave out this recipe for "Surprise Noodle Ring with Creamed Dried Beef."
041000.gif

(Note to Lileks fans: "Creamed Dried Beef" is not meat. It is something the cat hukked up.)

Another high point in noodle ring awareness came in 1944, when S.J. Perelman's New Yorker story "Pale Hands I Loathe" portrayed the inner monologue of a fetishistic office worker suffering from NR-induced indigestion. "Police uncover secret noodle ring in Midwest." :eek:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong said:
Elk anyone???

We eat it often here Lincsong, absolutely beautiful.

And to anyone who visits Norway you have to try "elg med viltsaus", one of the most delicious meals in the world.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Lincsong said:
Elk anyone???

My father recently went on an elk hunting trip. Dropped off 25lbs+ of steaks, stew meat, and one beauty of a roast. I'm saving the latter for when I move into my new place and make a heck of a dinner for my friends.

He used to bring me squirrel (hated it!), rabbit (great slow roasted), duck (nothing better), bear (greasy and foul), grouse (not bad), wild turkey (fantastic!), and skunk (don't get me started :eusa_doh: ).

There's a place outside of Tucson that serves an amazing rattlesnake taco and a diner in Missoula with great buffalo burgers. I'll try to find the menus for these places, as I tend to keep them all.

Richard

LocktownDog said:
He used to bring me squirrel (hated it!), rabbit (great slow roasted), duck (nothing better), bear (greasy and foul), grouse (not bad), wild turkey (fantastic!), and skunk (don't get me started :eusa_doh: ).

I knew it! Someone, somewhere has indeed eaten skunk. :D
So how did it taste? Please don't tell me like stinky chicken. :eusa_doh: :p

Baggers

Practically Family
Mmmm, elk...

I had a wonderful bit of elk tenderloin up in Colorado a couple of weeks ago. I didn't claw my way to top of the food chain to end up eating tofu (or skunk, for that matter)!

Cheers!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
I knew it! Someone, somewhere has indeed eaten skunk. :D
So how did it taste? Please don't tell me like stinky chicken. :eusa_doh: :p

Just plain nasty. Didn't smell like anything skunky, as the gland is avoided during butchering. Well, butchering is the wrong word. "Gutted, skinned, and hunked" would be more appropriate. :eek: The texture is awful ... grainy and stringy. My great-grandfather said it reminded him of cat. I never asked him how he came to eat cat.

Richard

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was 14 years old before I learned that possums weren't born dead along the side of the road.

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
LocktownDog said:
lol Never ate possum.

Richard
I tasted it once, several years ago just so I could say that I've tried it. I don't remember what it tasted like, but I do remember it being greasy.
The man that cooked it would catch them, put them in a pen and feed them cornbread and milk for a few weeks to "clean them out" before he killed and cooked them. To me, that seems like a lot of time and trouble for a little bit of greasy meat.

LocktownDog said:
Just plain nasty. Didn't smell like anything skunky, as the gland is avoided during butchering. Well, butchering is the wrong word. "Gutted, skinned, and hunked" would be more appropriate. :eek: The texture is awful ... grainy and stringy. My great-grandfather said it reminded him of cat. I never asked him how he came to eat cat.

Richard

Well, at least he didn't say it tastes like chicken. :p
Skunk---the other white meat. :p

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
Sure, I'd try it. Why not? I've eaten musk-rat, all the standard kinds of wild meat, 14 different kinds of snake, raw fish-brains in Japan (tricky with chop-sticks), cat in southern China, and who know what else in South-East Asia and South America. It may indeed turn out to be horrid, but it may not too. Lots of my favorite things seemed gross at first and if I hadn't tried them I wouldn't have known that they were my favorite things.

Lots also turned out to actually be gross however. [huh]

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would expect skunk to taste like rabbit.

I'm a vegetarian now, well, a fake vegetarian, I eat fish. Swordfish is my steak substitute. I used to love love love meat and gave it up on a sort of moral "don't eat anything I won't kill" type deal. (Yeah, I'll go fishing.) I missed it for a long time, and I loved venison, boar, you name it. But now, just thinking about it due to this thread, I'm like, ew, sinews, tendons, musculature. Ick.

But if I were to meat shop I would hope to be as fab as our lady in pearls.lol

cowboy76

Suspended
I guess it was a God-given right. Could an American survive being a vegetarian in those days?

hmmm,...I'm pretty sure still is a God given right,.... ;)

I think "meatless tuesdays" during WWII were pretty agonizing,....I know I'd go nuts myself....not a huge meat eater, but the high-in-protein diet of meat is a big part of my doctor perscribed diet.

Saw a funny bumper sticker a few years ago. It simply read,...

"I EAT VEGITARIANS"
;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld