Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Historical accuracy confirmed!

N.Y. / REGION
City Room: On ‘Mad Men,’ an Opening Scene Straight From Page 1
By By MICHAEL WILSON
Published: March 28, 2012
A newspaper article from 1966 not only inspired but also became the template for a scene in Sunday's season premiere of "Mad Men.''

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/28/on-mad-men-an-opening-scene-straight-from-page-1/?src=tp

Everything in the scene really happened, written almost verbatim from an article on Page 1 of The Times on May 28, 1966.

Last edited:

Chaps

One of the Regulars
And what has happened to the psychologist? She has some powerful ammunition to just disappear!

Yeah. I need to watch that episode again!

Exactly! How does one share such damaging information and then dump the person who now has the "smoking gun". Maybe Don was thinking that since she is a psychologist then the info has to stay with her. I wouldn't bet on it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if this was the producers' attempt to hide January Jones' real life pregnancy?

I am betting so. I loved how she wasn't the "perfect" Betty anymore. Good character development here.

I am looking forward to next week's episode - from what the previews looked like, it should be good.

swinggal

One Too Many
I was really hoping they would bring Sal back this season (AND last season). Now that they are not dealing with Lucky Strike they could. He was a GREAT character and I miss him. Was too sad and sudden an ending for Sal :(

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Megan still bugs me.

Harry is still a dork.

I really liked Peggy in this episode.

Interesting to see Roger finally realizing that he's being left behind.

I wonder if this was the producers' attempt to hide January Jones' real life pregnancy?

Vouch. Right away I noticed the pregnancy weight gain in her face and neck, so it was clearly their way of working her real-life pregnancy weight gain into the storyline. Good character development! Methinks her weight gain has less to do with a thyroid nodule and more to do with chocolate sundaes she's double-fisting over her dissatisfaction with Henry Francis.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Vouch. Right away I noticed the pregnancy weight gain in her face and neck, so it was clearly their way of working her real-life pregnancy weight gain into the storyline. Good character development! Methinks her weight gain has less to do with a thyroid nodule and more to do with chocolate sundaes she's double-fisting over her dissatisfaction with Henry Francis.

I am betting there was some padding going on. January Jones is pretty stick-thin and I don't think she would have gained that much weight during her pregnancy, but then again, I could be wrong. It didn't look too 'natural' on her.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ True, I read that she did wear padding, and I think makeup had something to do with it... but it was still definitely done to hide her pregnancy. I know she was pregnant when filming began.

I'm thinking that Roger is more in touch with the changing times than people (Pete, the twerp, especially) recognize, even more than he himself realizes. Sure, he's a man of an earlier era -- he's superficially sexist, racist and a few other ists -- but he as much as anyone around that place sees that people other than those of the Christian Caucasian persuasion will play increasingly important roles in his world, and he's more or less happily reconciled to that. (And his office is the most cutting-edge of the bunch. It's a touch too sterile to suit my tastes, but it certainly is mod.)

Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I detect a whiff of a big comeuppance blowing Pete's way. He'll blow his top at the worst possible time, or something along those lines, to show just how self-serving he is when a big test of character comes about.

Last edited:

Gene

Practically Family
I agree, Pete is going to get destroyed...he's had it coming to him the whole series. Just when you think he's actually getting to be a little bit better of a person he goes right back into his selfish ways.

And I don't really find Megan annoying at all, I guess I'm the only one! Although it could be I am biased because of a French-Canadian girl I used to date.

I agree. Roger has always struck me as being more in touch, throughout the series. I've always found it ironic, considering he's one of the old boys.

I'm thinking that Roger is more in touch with the changing times than people (Pete, the twerp, especially) recognize, even more than he himself realizes. Sure, he's a man of an earlier era -- he's superficially sexist, racist and a few other ists -- but he as much as anyone around that place sees that people other than those of the Christian Caucasian persuasion will play increasingly important roles in his world, and he's more or less happily reconciled to that. (And his office is the most cutting-edge of the bunch. It's a touch too sterile to suit my tastes, but it certainly is mod.)

Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I detect a whiff of a big comeuppance blowing Pete's way. He'll blow his top at the worst possible time, or something along those lines, to show just how self-serving he is when a big test of character comes about.

I don't like Pete, at all! Every time I watch the show, I just wanna punch him in the face. There's episodes where I feel bad for him, then boom, he's back to being a complete jackass. His uppance will come.

I agree, Pete is going to get destroyed...he's had it coming to him the whole series. Just when you think he's actually getting to be a little bit better of a person he goes right back into his selfish ways.

And I don't really find Megan annoying at all, I guess I'm the only one! Although it could be I am biased because of a French-Canadian girl I used to date.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I have a feeling that Pete's comeuppance will be suffering the fate that Don predicted for him in Season 1:

...even if you do get my job, you’ll never run this place. You’ll die in that corner office, a mid-level executive with a little bit of hair that women go home with out of pity. Wanna know why? ‘Cause no one will like you.

The remark in the season premier about Pete beginning to lose his hair made me remember this. Add to this the fact that he's climbing the ladder this season more than ever, but is also making more enemies than ever at the same time.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Pete is such an interesting character to me. I don't really like him, but I love the juxtaposition with Don. Pete and Don/Dick come from exactly opposite backgrounds, but are both aiming for the same things. They both want(ed) the same kind of wife, the same kind of lifestyle, the same kind of work style. Both are upwardly mobile, but have so much baggage that gets in their way. They are both smart in so many ways, and then dumb in ways that can hamper their efforts. Either Pete is going to crash and burn because he just doesn't have what it takes (likeability?), or he will manage to do things Don couldn't/can't. Even for his problems, Pete's always been the forward thinker on important issues. The fact that he is obviously taking aim at Roger and ruffling his silver feathers is interesting. His aim at Don a while back was a bit fail. His aim at Roger looks to be dead on.

And, of course, the biggest difference so far for Don and Pete has been their wives. Trudie supports Pete and is always there for him (although there are hints this will change?), whereas Betty was never really *there*. Megan is *there* but perhaps the two of them are really in very different places in the world...

OK, rambling thinking over!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe