Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Is everyone still absorbing what you saw last night? All I can say at this point is, I guess that's one way to clean house!

And what a difference half a year makes. My goodness.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, it's going to take a while to process everything that happened!

One thing I will say: the show has a different feel. Partly because it's moved into a different time, but mostly because I get the sense that the story has moved into its third act:

Seasons 1 through 3 were (among other things) largely about the failure of Don and Betty's marriage as the certainties of the late fifties gave way to the confusion of the sixties. Season 4 was about Don's spiraling down and hitting bottom, and his subsequent renewal after the events of "The Suitcase" - marked by his proposal to Megan (and with some measure of finally putting his Dick Whitman past into perspective after Anna's departure). Seasons 5 through 7, with Don now married to Megan, will reveal that even with his younger wife, Don is still the figure falling in the opening credits: as he moves further into middle age, his privileged position will continue to erode as the sweeping changes of the later sixties change all the rules. Even Pete is looking older (and interestingly, has moved into Don's old role as the commuting husband and father) and will fall behind. Roger and Burt are increasingly insignificant. Only the younger crew - Peggy and maybe Harry - will be able to continue to adapt to the new times.

I loved the snazzy Draper apartment set, the scene between Lane and Joan, the perfect casting of Joan's mother, the surprise party... What a pleasure to have it back, even with too many commercials!

And was I the only one shocked to hear that Megan knows about Dick Whitman?!? Proof that Don is trying a new approach this time... even if his discomfort at the party indicated that he's still the same controlling, fearful guy at some level.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Disjointed, but entertaining. Don almost made a fatal mistake with his hot sexy bride. She doesn't want old, she doesn't need pipe and slippers, she wants what she wants and she figured out just how to get it from him. The (ahem) house cleaning scene was pretty amazing. I watch "Madmen" and I feel I'm watching a 1950s and '60's version of "Gone With The Wind". I'm of that era. I lived through it. I know what rings true and what doesn't. I even remember some of the ad campaigns and can spot the ones that never made it. Just like the Old South didn't survive the civil war, the world of "priviledged poltroons" that Don and others inhabit didn't survive the civil rights struggle, the Viet Nam War, 1968 and '69 or the women's movement. Interesting times...

Worf

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Please excuse any spoilers.

Didn't love it, didn't hate it.
What's the new time frame?Is it 1966?
You definitely can see its a new era. Miniskirts, Vietnam, louder clothes. No more Camelot....
Sterling was funnier than ever. Lane has really emerged as an interesting character. Odd little joke that he's called POLITE by Mr POLITO.

Another detail that amused me, when Don is making breakfast , and kisses the kids in thanks for the birthday gift, Bobby opted for a handshake.
And Sally, her voice seemed so much more grown up.
No Betty last nite. I wonder if that's an indication that she is definitely not part of Don's new happiness.

I suppose there are plenty of details that I enjoyed ,but overall it didn't really grab me.

I was completely shocked that she knew!

And was I the only one shocked to hear that Megan knows about Dick Whitman?!? Proof that Don is trying a new approach this time... even if his discomfort at the party indicated that he's still the same controlling, fearful guy at some level.

I watched it twice last night and still haven't gotten all the details. There was A LOT going on.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I agree with everyone has said so far. The only other point I would add is that they seemed to push the envelope a little with the langauge this season than in previous seasons.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I think it was a great start to the season, perhaps the disjointing feeling comes from the fact that it is such a long episode? It was a lot to take in but I still think it's a success. Megan has actually become an interesting character,I love how Peggy is dealing with that, and Lane Pryce is once again funny (remember the Texas Belt Buckle), why isn't Jarod Harris in more comedies?

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Reading all your comments and still pondering the episode, I find myself really loving the Joan/ Lane scene. I think you see them letting the side down with perhaps the only other person at the agency each can really trust. Love that development from when they first met

Also found the Roger/ Joan scene interesting. Maybe even a bit gross. His attitude to everyone around him is not pleasant. And I HATED Harry! I used to like him. I dont think someone that bumbling would still be there. Not buying that.

And yes. Pete and trudie are the new grown ups, caught between the older experience and the younger. Loved the detail of their kitchen being so similar to Don and Betty's. Pete has always wanted to grow up and be Don. Wonder how far he will take that or if he will do it right?

And what has happened to the psychologist? She has some powerful ammunition to just disappear!

Yeah. I need to watch that episode again!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ I too loved Joan & Lane's scene. I adore Lane! I've read several interviews in which Christina Hendricks says, "A lot happens with Joan this season" - I'm wondering if her & Lane might get together... I'm also wondering how Joan handled the baby situation with Roger - did she tell him?

Harry bothered me, I used to love him because his character seemed like a nice guy. I guess that's changed, judging by his comments about his wife not being present at the party because she couldn't find a date! But, I did think his flub with Megan at the office was a riot. :lol:

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
^ I too loved Joan & Lane's scene. I adore Lane! I've read several interviews in which Christina Hendricks says, "A lot happens with Joan this season" - I'm wondering if her & Lane might get together... I'm also wondering how Joan handled the baby situation with Roger - did she tell him?

Harry bothered me, I used to love him because his character seemed like a nice guy. I guess that's changed, judging by his comments about his wife not being present at the party because she couldn't find a date! But, I did think his flub with Megan at the office was a riot. :lol:

I admit that I busted out laughing at that scene with Megan. It looks as if the show can go in so many differnt directions this season and it will be very interesting.

Kirk H.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
for a little comparison

[video=youtube;qZ4odDli9O4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qZ4odDli9O4#![/video]

[video=youtube;2vFOzG3GYqo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vFOzG3GYqo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vFOzG3GYqo[/video]

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I am anxious to see what happens with Jane & Roger. Their relationship is clearly strained.

Anybody else have this song stuck in their heads all day?

[video=youtube;ngf2zHq4FEI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngf2zHq4FEI[/video]

:lol: Maybe I'm just a hater, but I just don't see what's so hot about her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld