Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Are there any nice people coming later?

No not really... Actually I really enjoyed the first season and about half of season two, and enjoyed several characters (Roger and Joan in particular). However somewhere in season two and especially in season three the plot sort of fades away, things get pretty boring, and then the fashion gets worse... Season three and four are not really worth watching. In particular if you already do not like season one!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you for the response. I guess I will try again but stop very soon if I get too bored. It would be a waste of time otherwise.

My girlfriend does react even worse. She gets in a bad mood from all this cheating, lying and sexism in the series. Doesn't mean we need sugar coating like a Doris Day movie (other kind of sexism there) but....uhm something different than this.

Heather

Practically Family
Great article! Especially this statement: "It’s about human behavior observed in the moment. It doesn’t explain. It observes. It’s not about the period, it’s about the question mark."

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I just started to watch Mad Men. Yes, I am late :p...and disappointed. I dislike all the characters and the stuff they do. Maybe I just got it wrong. Is this part of the "fun"?

Are there any nice people coming later?

You know, I really would like to see consistently nicer characters make an appearance on the show, if they introduce new ones. They all seem to be morally bankrupt. Obviously, everyone has problems, but some people appear to have more integrity and morals than others, and this is not what we've seen so far. They really aren't all that different with regard to morality. Have at least one token good guy, please.

flat-top

I think the early 70s will be interesting, as we'll see how they handle the changing styles of the characters, some more subtle changes than others I would imagine, and almost undoubtedly a reference to the Vietnam War and other tensions surrounding that period (Watergate too?). Right now, wouldn't you suppose this new season is around 1967?

Major spoiler regarding the new season's time period:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/19/mad-men-song-change/

Flat Foot Floey

You know, I really would like to see consistently nicer characters make an appearance on the show, if they introduce new ones. They all seem to be morally bankrupt. Obviously, everyone has problems, but some people appear to have more integrity and morals than others, and this is not what we've seen so far. They really aren't all that different with regard to morality. Have at least one token good guy, please.

Yes. I need that. Not a saint but someone to relate to. Maybe be we are naive ;-)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
A Conversation With the ‘Mad Men’ Cast and Creator
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

If you’re a fan of the AMC series “Mad Men,” you still have five more excruciating days to wait for that show’s long awaited fifth-season premiere on Sunday. In the meantime, you can tide yourself over on Tuesday evening with a live Web broadcast of a Times Talk event featuring that show’s cast members and creator. The conversation begins at 6:30 p.m. Eastern with the “Mad Men” show runner Matthew Weiner and stars Jon Hamm, January Jones, John Slattery, Christina Hendricks, Vincent Kartheiser and Jared Harris, moderated by New York Times culture reporter Dave Itzkoff.

If you would like to submit a question for the “Mad Men” panelists, tweet them to @artsbeat using the hashtag #madmentalk. We will be compiling your questions throughout Tuesday and during tonight’s discussion.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/20/tune-in-for-a-times-talk-with-the-mad-men-cast-and-creator/

Last edited:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
mattweiner-articleInline.jpg

The ‘Mad Men’ Season That Almost Wasn’t: An Interview With Matthew Weiner, Part 1
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/07/the-mad-men-season-that-almost-wasnt-an-interview-with-matthew-weiner-part-1/

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The media frenzy is underway: interviews and articles are everywhere.

I know I've mentioned this here earlier, but a great clearinghouse for Mad Men (and some other cool shows) related info is the Lipp sisters' labor of love, Basket of Kisses. You'll find links to most significant articles, awesome pictures, etc.:

http://www.lippsisters.com/

Here's one of those awesome pictures:

onset5-bar.jpg

JUST FOUR DAYS UNTIL THE PREMIERE!

Last edited:

swinggal

One Too Many
Yay! Been a long time between series...but for good reason. At least Weiner got to keep all his cast members and the length of the show. Looking forward to it!

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I have to work today, so I have it set to record so I can watch it when I get home. I too can not wait. On a side note I saw a preview for a new show on Starz that will debut on April 6. It is called Magic City and takes place in 1959 Miami. The costumes, cars, sets all look really good. I am going to have to check that show out too.

Kirk H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld