Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Story

I'll Lock Up
Love that "Mad Men" style? Many of the products sold by Don Draper and his colleagues on the AMC hit show were invented right here in the Delaware Valley. A lecture during Design Philadelphia—a 10-day-long festival showcasing the city's creative industries—explores the region's role in revolutionizing fashion and interior design in the 1960s.

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/...ad-men-style-fueled-by-delaware-valley-smarts

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
The ULTIMATE SPOILER

5181036025_f8398988a1.jpg

In case any of you were wondering, the show's creator has a plan for the finale:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/37420/matthew-weiner-on-all-the-people-who-crossed-him-—-plus-how-mad-men-will-end

MMP113_Slide_2.jpg

Last edited:

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Wow, I'm finally caught up!

A few weeks ago I checked out the first season of Mad Men from the library just to see what all the fuss was about. My husband and I became instantly hooked and have inhaled every episode since, and will be done with season 4 shortly. I've also been slowly reading through all 64 pages of this thread, ha. It's been great being able to see all of the episodes back to back in such a rapid fashion, now I'll have to wait in agonizing real-time with the rest of you for season 5, lol. And not just for the premiere on AMC but for it to be available to watch online either on Sidereel or be released on DVD because we don't have cable/AMC. Ugh. I'm amazed that I never knew this show existed until this past year, I had no clue it had been on for so long.

I've loved reading through this thread and getting everyone's analyses and perspectives on the characters, plot, costumes, everything. These characters seem so real to me, even with all of their flaws and foibles they touch me deeply. I wept when Don broke down after Anna died. I haven't been this drawn into a TV show's universe since my favorites, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel! OMG it's going to be so hard to wait for more now, how have you all coped doing it these last years?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Wow, I'm finally caught up!

A few weeks ago I checked out the first season of Mad Men from the library just to see what all the fuss was about. My husband and I became instantly hooked and have inhaled every episode since, and will be done with season 4 shortly. I've also been slowly reading through all 64 pages of this thread, ha. It's been great being able to see all of the episodes back to back in such a rapid fashion, now I'll have to wait in agonizing real-time with the rest of you for season 5, lol. And not just for the premiere on AMC but for it to be available to watch online either on Sidereel or be released on DVD because we don't have cable/AMC. Ugh. I'm amazed that I never knew this show existed until this past year, I had no clue it had been on for so long.

I've loved reading through this thread and getting everyone's analyses and perspectives on the characters, plot, costumes, everything. These characters seem so real to me, even with all of their flaws and foibles they touch me deeply. I wept when Don broke down after Anna died. I haven't been this drawn into a TV show's universe since my favorites, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel! OMG it's going to be so hard to wait for more now, how have you all coped doing it these last years?

I'm the same as you, Gingerella. This is the only show I'm "addicted" to and it's been hard not to watch it this past year. I can't wait until it FINALLY starts up again! (Which, does anyone know when that will be?)

Oh - if you don't want to wait until it goes on DVD or whatever, you can buy the episode on Amazon.com's "On Demand" the day after it airs. It's $2 an episode, I think.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
$2.00 an episode isn't too bad, especially since it would be agonizing to wait for the DVD release, as well as for our library to purchase it! I think I read a few pages back that season 5 will begin in March 2012.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I just finished watching Season 2's second episode, Flight 1. It was a good one too.

However, I heard somewhere that the stuff they use for the men's hair on that show is all modern gel, and not period. Was it ever explained why they didn't just go with the standard products of the '60s like Brylcreem, Vitalis, or some pomades? The thing is, the hair looks period, but the stuff used isn't. I guess that's OK.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Good question. I guess for convenience? And of course the ladies' hairstyles would be using modern products and techniques too. I highly doubt any of those actresses are only washing their hair once a week and setting their hair in pin curls every night. lol

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Good question. I guess for convenience? And of course the ladies' hairstyles would be using modern products and techniques too. I highly doubt any of those actresses are only washing their hair once a week and setting their hair in pin curls every night. lol

Right, which makes the stylists seem all the more talented. Using modern products to create a period look is something everyone on here who dresses vintage has to do - even the men - so I think its a great inspiration that the Mad Men team does such a good job with them.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
I'm still upset about Don choosing her over Fay, yes I bloody said it. I was accused the other day by a female friend of gossiping over drama like she does... my response... "So?"

So am I but the man loves his kids. (There was a scene, when Sally was at the office, that showed Faye's ill at ease with kids.) That's why he did it.

Thanks for the countdown and the Weiner interview. So the show's timeline will end in 2011?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I read that the show is going to run for 2 more seasons. So, well into the 70s at least.

I think the early 70s will be interesting, as we'll see how they handle the changing styles of the characters, some more subtle changes than others I would imagine, and almost undoubtedly a reference to the Vietnam War and other tensions surrounding that period (Watergate too?). Right now, wouldn't you suppose this new season is around 1967?

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just started to watch Mad Men. Yes, I am late :p...and disappointed. I dislike all the characters and the stuff they do. Maybe I just got it wrong. Is this part of the "fun"?

Are there any nice people coming later?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld