Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leatherheads - The Movie

PhilS

One of the Regulars
So-so. WARNING: Potential Spoiler Alert.

I saw the movie over the weekend and though there is a lot to admire I can't really recommend it. The problem is entirely with the script, which bounced around Hollywood for a long time.

SPOILER ALERT
(Not really a spoiler, but close enough).
The fundamental flaw is Krasinski's character is far too nice a guy, and his asserted sin far too benign, to justify what Clooney and Zellwegger do to him. Or there needed to be more motivation for Zellwegger to trash him as she does. She looks bad, Clooney looks bad backing her, and the denouement falls somewhat flat. (On a related note, what 1920's newspaper would go out of its way to attack a reputed war hero, anyway?).

Nice hats, some wisecracking repartee, and a bevy of appealing actors make the movie an okay 2 1/2 stars, but it could have been so much more. I agree with the reviewers who say Clooney deserves credit for trying.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
positivelypinup said:
I thought the same thing! I was like wait why are they playing sing sing sing! Although i am excited to see it.
The real music of the late 20s-early 30s era is hard for a general audience to appreciate because it's so totally disappeared from the culture. But anyone can relate to a well known swing killer-diller.

Feraud

Bartender
Fletch said:
The real music of the late 20s-early 30s era is hard for a general audience to appreciate because it's so totally disappeared from the culture. But anyone can relate to a well known swing killer-diller.
Maybe not totally disappeared...
This morning I was riding a train and heard a subway performer playing the Mississippi Sheiks "Sitting On Top Of The World". My wife gave me a nudge to listen as I had Son House playing on the Ipod.
I was sorry our train quickly pulled out of the station.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
PhilS said:
I saw the movie over the weekend and though there is a lot to admire I can't really recommend it. The problem is entirely with the script, which bounced around Hollywood for a long time.

SPOILER ALERT
(Not really a spoiler, but close enough).
The fundamental flaw is Krasinski's character is far too nice a guy, and his asserted sin far too benign, to justify what Clooney and Zellwegger do to him. Or there needed to be more motivation for Zellwegger to trash him as she does. She looks bad, Clooney looks bad backing her, and the denouement falls somewhat flat. (On a related note, what 1920's newspaper would go out of its way to attack a reputed war hero, anyway?).

Nice hats, some wisecracking repartee, and a bevy of appealing actors make the movie an okay 2 1/2 stars, but it could have been so much more. I agree with the reviewers who say Clooney deserves credit for trying.

I agree with your point about Krasinski. He was too squeaky clean for the harshness he got. Also, it was a bit quirky but not really all that "laff-out-loud". Was the humor more 'mature'/subtle than I'm use to? Probably.

I will say, though, that the exchanges between Clooney and Zellwegger were well done. I need to write down and use some of those lines. lol

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Shearer & I caught the movie & enjoyed the romp. But it hasnt got a lot of depth. More style than substance, but plenty of fun. I wouldnt consider it on the level of League of Their Own, which was also a period sports comedy, but with more of a story.
Im not sure if its botox or what , but she's got an odd look to her now....

FYI:
Back in `96 Zellwegger did The Whole Wide World and really looked fabulous in `30s apparel.

Wholewideworlddvd.jpg

Bugsy

One Too Many
Although will not go down in Hollywood history as one of the greatest of films, Leatherheads is rather fun. However, besides that, there is a massive display of fashions from the mid 20's for both men and women. What looks like hundreds of actors in vintage clothing pack the stands at the football games right down the racoon coats.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
That should put it on the level with screwball comedies of the 30s-40s.
I hope to catch it this weekend.

Sure, but even DuckSoup made a war statement of sorts. Mussolini banned the film in Italy!

Maybe its to his credit, but Clooney seems to steer clear of political statemnt as well as any real commentary on Football becoming an industry.

Folly

One of the Regulars
I loved George in O Brother, Where Art Thou? so I'm hoping he'll be as good in this one. I saw a bit of a trailer featuring fisty-cuffs which amused me lol

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Got to see this one today. I think there's lots to like for our group. It was entertaining, and the costumes were to die for. Especially Clooney's!

Josephine

One Too Many
I saw it and liked it. I guess I'm used to this place as I didn't think any of the clothing was out of place. :) Though I did think the Bullet's pants were too low slung.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Josephine said:
Though I did think the Bullet's pants were too low slung.

Ah, me too! You could see his waistband under the vests he wore. But in all, I loved the outfits everyone wore. Great early 20th century feel to them (the men's clothing specifically).

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I saw previews of this flick at the theatre the other night. While I loved to general look of the film, I just can't get too excited about a vintage football movie. Just not a huge fan of team sports in general, though there are a couple of baseball pictures I have liked.

Josephine

One Too Many
Matt Crunk said:
I saw previews of this flick at the theatre the other night. While I loved to general look of the film, I just can't get too excited about a vintage football movie. Just not a huge fan of team sports in general, though there are a couple of baseball pictures I have liked.

You know, now that I think about it, it's not really a "football" movie. It has football in it, but they don't play a whole lot of football.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just saw LEATHERHEADS and enjoyed it!! (photos)

I rather enjoyed it actually!! not too much slapstick and some lovely togs to look at. I've stuck a couple of shots I took on the self timer last year, as when I saw Clooney on the set, I thought...Auld George has been spying on 'ME!!' ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust