Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
So how many Police departments actually wear leather jackets these days? Our motor officers turned theirs in, along with their boots, several years ago, now they look like Mall Cops! Real shame.

ksozay

One Too Many
Are Cal-Leathers exclusively US-based? Do they have sotckists on the East Coast? Hoping to make it back to the US in the next couple of years (if and when the pound recovers!), but I'm unlikely to be as far West as California, alas. When I do get out there, it'd be nice to be able to buy a relatively big-ticket item that is US-made and markedly cheaper to buy in the US than from the UK.

Hey Edward,

Yes, located in Ventura CA but don't have distribution on the East Coast. That said, when you are about to head over, let me know and I will see what we can do to help figure something out. I know she ships worldwide.

Take care,

KS

pawineguy

One Too Many
So how many Police departments actually wear leather jackets these days? Our motor officers turned theirs in, along with their boots, several years ago, now they look like Mall Cops! Real shame.

Same trend here on the East Coast, it's incredible that even the motorcycle cops have gone to fabric, but my guess is that it's cost cutting. I agree it's a shame, the best police uniforms I've ever seen are comprised of calf high boots and double breasted jackets. Such a great look and certainly protection on the bike also.

3066563141_fd53ebd54a.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ NYPD motorcycle and horseback police still wear leather coats with jodhpurs and high boots quite extensively. Various police forces here in Ontario wear short leather jackets, jodhpurs and high boots on motorcycles. It's worth pointing out that the increase in use of non-leather jackets by police corresponds with similar trends in civilian use. Here in southern Ontario, other than aging baby boomers pretending to be motorcycle gang members, almost everyone on a motorcycle wears ballistic nylon, etc.

pawineguy

One Too Many
True, but they aren't so groovy if one ever needs to "run and gun."

I don't disagree. My brother is a police Captain, and I always tell him that their uniform, if it was about practicality, should be a track suit and sneakers. Clip on ties don't help catch suspects.

IXL

One Too Many
Now my problem is you have me wanting one of those leather double-breasted jackets I could really rock one while riding!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
IXL said:
Now my problem is you have me wanting one of those leather double-breasted jackets I could really rock one while riding!
Look back over this thread and there's more pics of those 3/4 length coats. I've been on the verge of getting one for a few months now, but I simply have no need for it, so it's tough to rationalize. If you want some links to manufacturers let me know.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
pawineguy said:
I don't disagree. My brother is a police Captain, and I always tell him that their uniform, if it was about practicality, should be a track suit and sneakers. Clip on ties don't help catch suspects.
That's mostly what police up here wear. I was pulled over just before the last long weekend by one of our provincial highway police after I almost cut him off. After quickly realizing and showing great disappointment that I was stone cold sober, he let me go after complaining about being unable to read my license plate. Anyways, he was wearing the usual outfit: too-long synthetic cargo pants with red stripe, clunky black running shoes/boots, shirt, bulletproof vest, and a knitted watch cap. With his beard he looked like a hipster backpacker with a pocket full of weed, not a police officer. Mind you, those highway patrol guys in Philly and Ben Salem look like fascist stormtroopers. There has to be a good middle ground somewhere.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
True, but they aren't so groovy if one ever needs to "run and gun."

I love those jackets, it's a great style. How far back does it date?
It's a great look, but it always gives me a mental image of 'bad cops' giving me a working over in a back room at the station with their nightsticks, in a film noir.
The thing is that modern fabrics like cordura have 10 times the scuff resistance of leather, and are lighter and more flexible, not to mention cheaper.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It's a great look, but it always gives me a mental image of 'bad cops' giving me a working over in a back room at the station with their nightsticks, in a film noir.
The thing is that modern fabrics like cordura have 10 times the scuff resistance of leather, and are lighter and more flexible, not to mention cheaper.

The last word in your reply, is probably why they are adopting the fabric jackets!

pawineguy

One Too Many

You probably deserved it.

Everything about leather is unfortunately inferior to fabric jackets, except for the looks unfortunately. The good news is that for anyone who's a fan, they are readily available either new or on the secondary market, including the long double breasted jackets. I think most are made by Taylors and eBay usually has a bunch of them.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I thought I would post this oddity here: the leather turnout coats worn by sapeurs-pompiers in France in the 1980s and 1990s. Now they use nomex or textile coats, of course.

ksozay

One Too Many
Just snagged this one recently. This is a Star Glove prototype of what would eventually become the LAPD under the Cal label. Really interesting design and not sure why they'd add a corduroy collar...

$_579.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe