Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket sizing, too big or small?

jchance

One of the Regulars
If you have to ask, the answer is usually a no, which certainly applies in this case. The jacket is too big, at least by 1 size. Even if you size down, the jacket is still not good looking and appears low quality even for $100.

If I were to drop $2k on a jacket, I'd buy a Freewheelers Sunset in black deerskin and call it a day. That's top-shelf stuff, not this garbage John Elliot's "genuine leather" I'm looking at.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn't be too tough on him in regards to Johnson. I was curious about their offerings once and went to their site and there was nothing there
Their website definitely leaves a lot to be desired. It’s funny because the old website was primitive and unappealing, yet it at least showed photos of their basic models with info on fit and pricing.
I guess they figure that between Instagram and word of mouth they have all the business they need.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Their website definitely leaves a lot to be desired. It’s funny because the old website was primitive and unappealing, yet it at least showed photos of their basic models with info on fit and pricing.
I guess they figure that between Instagram and word of mouth they have all the business they need.

I feel like it's Instagram and word of mouth for locals, then more fashion brand OEM manufacturing than they can handle, so there's no need to do more.

Doctor Death

New in Town
I checked out the John Elliott site and found the jacket in question also. What a piece of crap! The model is wearing a jacket that looks at least three sizes too small. That jacket is also way too short for the model. He needs a "Long" size. If the manufacturer can't even dress their own model appropriately, what chance is there of a consumer getting the right size?

If I was going to drop 2K on a jacket, I'd go for a Bates Highwayman, which is something like 1,650 for a custom made. A bargain compared to that John Elliott jacket.

But I understood the OP as wanting something of a "fashion" motorcycle jacket, not a legit one for riding. Which is why if I was him, I think I'd look at something like the thinner jackets by San Diego Leather. They have some 2.25 oz cowhide. Or look for some Euro style thin lambskin kind of jacket from department stores. Fashion jackets are certainly out there, and they're usually a hell of a lot better looking than that John Elliott one. Whether you go for cheap Pakistani or made in USA or expensive and thin department store fashion jackets, 2K should get you something a hell of a lot better than that thing from John Elliott.

I say don't contribute to inflation by paying a lot for garbage. Demand quality if you're going to pay a lot. Otherwise, spend less and still get quality from manufacturers who know what they're doing.

TLW '90

Practically Family
Thats why we all wait for jacket season and get a boner the first day the temp hits 69f
I've been doing yardwork in the heat to make me forget about jackets.

We're supposed to start cooling down into the 80's next week which will mean wearing a jacket for a few hours in the morning, but true fall weather isn't around the corner just yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YogurtProblems