Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Collecting - Ever ask why?

Kunja

Practically Family
I think “the one” is too elusive to ever catch. Or to realize it when you have it. Maybe that’s the key and the hardest thing to pull off.

Anyway the chase is a whole hobby unto itself.

zebedee

One Too Many
Haha, I think it's a problem, although I don't care at all about really expensive purchases (like cars or watches). I now have 9 Aeros and two SBs (with a third on the way), but they are, at least, all different styles apart from the three Café Racers (different colours).

Ideally, I'd just have five jackets in total: CR in battered seal, Highwayman, Maxwell, goat half-belt, shawl-collar SB V2.

Monte.C

Familiar Face
Outstanding question. Terrific answers. I had the same problem with wristwatches, for a time. Accidental pun, intentionally left in. Now it's jackets. Made a purchase this week. Then there's the Simmons Bilt one in the works, but beyond that I believe I can honestly say I'M DONE. I'll have some break-in work to do on what I have. No need to fill the closet further. Right now I can't think of anything else I just have to have.
For now.
But why the obsessive tendency toward collection? I can't pretend to have the answer. Somehow we suddenly give ourselves permission to start spending, to treat ourselves.

Eagledog

Familiar Face
I collect $2 bills to distribute as tips. Folks love getting them and tell me they are saving them up. The hundreds don't hang around long. The $2 bills stay brand new.

Attachments

• 20241024_202010.jpg
    20241024_202010.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

Doctor Death

New in Town
... adding yet another cross-zip to your 7-8 jacket cross-zip collection?" "Is there some deeper underlying reason you are seeking to own this?"
7-8 cross zips doesn't seem that many to me. I'm almost there me-self.

As for underlying reasons, well, all of us on here probably need psychiatric help. But seriously, manufacturers and sellers do some incredibly good job of advertising their wares. Seems almost every day I'm seeing some new jacket to lust after. New hides, brass zips instead of chrome, cross zips, center zips, bi-swing action back, epaulets, no epaulets, belts, no belts, thin leather, thick leather, the combinations seem practically endless. And I'd love to have 'em all!

Biff42

A-List Customer
Outstanding question. Terrific answers. I had the same problem with wristwatches, for a time. Accidental pun, intentionally left in. Now it's jackets. Made a purchase this week. Then there's the Simmons Bilt one in the works, but beyond that I believe I can honestly say I'M DONE. I'll have some break-in work to do on what I have. No need to fill the closet further. Right now I can't think of anything else I just have to have.
For now.
But why the obsessive tendency toward collection? I can't pretend to have the answer. Somehow we suddenly give ourselves permission to start spending, to treat ourselves.

The great thing about jacket collecting is that it's open to many economic classes. The more expensive jackets are still attainable for many middle/upper-middle-class people like myself. It's a big tent with people of many backgrounds.

The same cannot be said for the highest-end watches and cars. There's a huge wealth disparity between classes with those collections.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
not me, I don't like to have multiple items of the same thing unless there is enough differences to make them equally useful, I like to see my jackets get worn and I have limited chances to wear them due to my local climate, so because I love my cross zip I don't want to have another like it, I like to see how wears affect the leather and creases forming, in everything else I also don't get into deep immersion on other things, I only have 3 items in one category and they are all different like I follow denim forums (lurking mostly) and I memorize many brands and how they look but I only have 3 raw denim jeans, I have 3 denim jackets, I have no thirst to buy anymore, it apply to many other things, I like toys but I have 3 of that toys and no more, basically I like to sample things and I like to enjoy them not a collector at heart

I know for myself the hobby is filling a void. I think most collections of any kind that grow beyond necessity are just that. It’s cool to think that collecting might be related to some primal urge but I don’t think that’s it at all. I also think I am on the spectrum as I often buy similar pieces in duplicate or triplicate. A terrible fixation.

Collecting in my view is an attempt to distract, compensate or alleviate some form of grief. I’m cool with it b/c there are significantly worse alternatives, like blow, gambling and hookers, which might be more fun, but also intensely less healthy.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think if you have many of the same thing it devalue that thing for you, you see it just one of the crosszips or one of the coats, it doesn't feel special anymore. if you only have 1 crosszip, even when that jacket is not 100% perfect, you'll wear it anyway, and with time you probably love it more and more, and the jacket slowly turns to look really nice not because of its initial design but because it has broken in and show great character after daily worn in rain and shine

Biff42

A-List Customer
I know for myself the hobby is filling a void. I think most collections of any kind that grow beyond necessity are just that. It’s cool to think that collecting might be related to some primal urge but I don’t think that’s it at all. I also think I am on the spectrum as I often buy similar pieces in duplicate or triplicate. A terrible fixation.

Collecting in my view is an attempt to distract, compensate or alleviate some form of grief. I’m cool with it b/c there are significantly worse alternatives, like blow, gambling and hookers, which might be more fun, but also intensely less healthy.
Ton, great points.

Speaking of gambling, I watched a basketball game on ESPN the other night and could not believe the number of DraftKing plugs/commercials I saw. I fear for the men that are sucked into that as an addiction.

PilotJens

A-List Customer
Why collect jackets?
To me you can't have enough long lasting practical items .I don't want duplicates but as someone with ADHD/autism spectrum I don't like to replace the things I get used too. Leather jackets are dependable and a lot of them are very practical in their design because of military heritage.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
I think if you have many of the same thing it devalue that thing for you, you see it just one of the crosszips or one of the coats, it doesn't feel special anymore.
I don't think so. At least not if the details are different. I wouldn't be happy with one jacket because I don't want to look the same every day. Of course, there's something to be said for wearing ‘one’ jacket day in, day out, like Indiana Jones, but I'm not the type for that.

Edward

Bartender
I collect $2 bills to distribute as tips. Folks love getting them and tell me they are saving them up. The hundreds don't hang around long. The $2 bills stay brand new.

I remember a story Woody Harrelson told at the height of his Cheers fame about how much money he saved by paying for everything with a cheque. People who knew who he was would keep the cheque for the autograph rather than cash it....

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Coat1008.jpg

I went the Leather Route as I wanted something "different" than the milk toast Vanilla outerwear I saw around me at my job. I worked 32 years for the State of New York in it's capital Albany. In the early 80's the place was chock -a - block full of men in grey flannel suits with grey flannel brains. I was/am.... different. I was a veteran who, sang and played bass guitar in RnB bands in local dens of iniquity. I'd been playing for pay off and on since Nixon was President. My clothing was another way for me to inform them, quietly, that my life was and never would be their life. Some people assume that their way of life is the ONLY way of life and make assumptions. A leather jacket thick enough to stop a knife or a .22 is another way.

Now I'm retired, but the jackets aren't.

Worf

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 649598

I went the Leather Route as I wanted something "different" than the milk toast Vanilla outerwear I saw around me at my job. I worked 32 years for the State of New York in it's capital Albany. In the early 80's the place was chock -a - block full of men in grey flannel suits with grey flannel brains. I was/am.... different. I was a veteran who, sang and played bass guitar in RnB bands in local dens of iniquity. I'd been playing for pay off and on since Nixon was President. My clothing was another way for me to inform them, quietly, that my life was and never would be their life. Some people assume that their way of life is the ONLY way of life and make assumptions. A leather jacket thick enough to stop a knife or a .22 is another way.

Now I'm retired, but the jackets aren't.

Worf
“Grey flannel suits with grey flannel brains”.
Priceless
Worf…you are the Man, you are always the Man.
Salute
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niicorobin246