Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Collecting - Ever ask why?

Kunja

Practically Family
I think “the one” is too elusive to ever catch. Or to realize it when you have it. Maybe that’s the key and the hardest thing to pull off.

Anyway the chase is a whole hobby unto itself.

zebedee

One Too Many
Haha, I think it's a problem, although I don't care at all about really expensive purchases (like cars or watches). I now have 9 Aeros and two SBs (with a third on the way), but they are, at least, all different styles apart from the three Café Racers (different colours).

Ideally, I'd just have five jackets in total: CR in battered seal, Highwayman, Maxwell, goat half-belt, shawl-collar SB V2.

Monte.C

Familiar Face
Outstanding question. Terrific answers. I had the same problem with wristwatches, for a time. Accidental pun, intentionally left in. Now it's jackets. Made a purchase this week. Then there's the Simmons Bilt one in the works, but beyond that I believe I can honestly say I'M DONE. I'll have some break-in work to do on what I have. No need to fill the closet further. Right now I can't think of anything else I just have to have.
For now.
But why the obsessive tendency toward collection? I can't pretend to have the answer. Somehow we suddenly give ourselves permission to start spending, to treat ourselves.

Eagledog

Familiar Face
I collect $2 bills to distribute as tips. Folks love getting them and tell me they are saving them up. The hundreds don't hang around long. The $2 bills stay brand new.

Attachments

• 20241024_202010.jpg
    20241024_202010.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

Doctor Death

New in Town
... adding yet another cross-zip to your 7-8 jacket cross-zip collection?" "Is there some deeper underlying reason you are seeking to own this?"
7-8 cross zips doesn't seem that many to me. I'm almost there me-self.

As for underlying reasons, well, all of us on here probably need psychiatric help. But seriously, manufacturers and sellers do some incredibly good job of advertising their wares. Seems almost every day I'm seeing some new jacket to lust after. New hides, brass zips instead of chrome, cross zips, center zips, bi-swing action back, epaulets, no epaulets, belts, no belts, thin leather, thick leather, the combinations seem practically endless. And I'd love to have 'em all!

Biff42

A-List Customer
Outstanding question. Terrific answers. I had the same problem with wristwatches, for a time. Accidental pun, intentionally left in. Now it's jackets. Made a purchase this week. Then there's the Simmons Bilt one in the works, but beyond that I believe I can honestly say I'M DONE. I'll have some break-in work to do on what I have. No need to fill the closet further. Right now I can't think of anything else I just have to have.
For now.
But why the obsessive tendency toward collection? I can't pretend to have the answer. Somehow we suddenly give ourselves permission to start spending, to treat ourselves.

The great thing about jacket collecting is that it's open to many economic classes. The more expensive jackets are still attainable for many middle/upper-middle-class people like myself. It's a big tent with people of many backgrounds.

The same cannot be said for the highest-end watches and cars. There's a huge wealth disparity between classes with those collections.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
not me, I don't like to have multiple items of the same thing unless there is enough differences to make them equally useful, I like to see my jackets get worn and I have limited chances to wear them due to my local climate, so because I love my cross zip I don't want to have another like it, I like to see how wears affect the leather and creases forming, in everything else I also don't get into deep immersion on other things, I only have 3 items in one category and they are all different like I follow denim forums (lurking mostly) and I memorize many brands and how they look but I only have 3 raw denim jeans, I have 3 denim jackets, I have no thirst to buy anymore, it apply to many other things, I like toys but I have 3 of that toys and no more, basically I like to sample things and I like to enjoy them not a collector at heart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
remytwotimes