Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian brands hats

It is rare to find hats branded only with the name "John Valtz" which I suspect is a pseudonym given the location of the hat shop in the photograph posted by Stefan. As can be seen from the image, this is a humble farmhouse in the Cervo valley, while the Grosso&Valtz headquarters has more the appearance of a workshop for making hats. The hat is beautiful and perhaps readjusted at some point in its long life. I assume that John Valtz survived the Second World War because in the very rare hats seen, some have post-war finishes, shapes and characteristics. Now I don't have the chance to go and see those two in my possession, but they are Grosso&Valtz. One is for sale here https://www.vinted.it/items/4206275...o-valtz-biella-nuovo-size-53?referrer=catalog
it has an impossible size and moth walks carpet, but it is a homburg :)

From an Italian site concerning industrial landscape
The Grosso Valz & C. hat factory was founded in Andorno in 1885 on the initiative of 15 hat makers as a general partnership. The hatmaker Maggiorino Guasco was at the helm of the company for many years.
In the 1920s the company renovated and expanded the premises for the conversion of the manufacturing cycle from manual to mechanical, thanks to the purchase of the first machines.
Subsequently the building was sold to the Valeggia family who set up a wool dyeing factory there.

View attachment 600465
Ah, I didn't guess that Grosso Valtz lobbia was yours. Had it on my watchlist already; too bad about the small size.

This thread deserves a bit of boost.
Hoc Extra fedora in a brown colour called malaga. Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 10cm in front. This teardrop is what it said it wanted during steaming it. Who am I to argue? Maker is either Gerardo Riva or Cerizza of Monza, a city known for its formidable woolfelt production. This one is a furfelt of decent but not exceptional quality. A cool find nonetheless. Riva hats are hard to find. They were on the market under the names of Rival, which is on the label of this one, and Delione. Cerizzza took over the brand names in 1960. Hard to say if this is pre or post 1960.

hoc_01.jpg

hoc_02.jpg

hoc_03.jpg

hoc_04.jpg

hoc_06.jpg

hoc_07.jpg

hoc_08.jpg

hoc_09.jpg

hoc_10.jpg

hoc_11.jpg

rogueclimber

A-List Customer
This thread deserves a bit of boost.
Hoc Extra fedora in a brown colour called malaga. Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 10cm in front. This teardrop is what it said it wanted during steaming it. Who am I to argue? Maker is either Gerardo Riva or Cerizza of Monza, a city known for its formidable woolfelt production. This one is a furfelt of decent but not exceptional quality. A cool find nonetheless. Riva hats are hard to find. They were on the market under the names of Rival, which is on the label of this one, and Delione. Cerizzza took over the brand names in 1960. Hard to say if this is pre or post 1960.

hoc_01.jpg

hoc_02.jpg

hoc_03.jpg

hoc_04.jpg

hoc_06.jpg

hoc_07.jpg

hoc_08.jpg

hoc_09.jpg

hoc_10.jpg

hoc_11.jpg

I find this hat to be simply stunning!

Forum statistics