Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I remember when.....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
(Long before I ever had Sushi I was eating raw clams on the half shell , mostly Little Necks, from the Great South Bay by Long Island. The concept of raw was there already.)

We had a guy in town who used to eat raw mussels right off the shore. But they finally put him away. (We had a chemical plant on the other end of the bay, and eating raw anything out of those waters was a sign you were tetched.)

I have a ton of stuff in my house with old phone exchanges. My most recent find was a 'wet paint' sign, promoting the fact that it was lead paint. I also have a collection of rotary phones, many with vintage exchanges, including one from here in Pardeeville, 42W.

Dad's as a kid was HOpkins 6-5633.

Remember telephone exchanges? PLaza 6-3352..

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I remember when you used to have to turn the handle to get the local exchange and request a "trunk call" when you wanted to ring the city from the country. And this was the early 70's

I love the old movies where the number is KLondike 5 or KL5, which is the golden era equivalent of the 555 numbers used in movies today. In America of course, in Australia you would get someone in the suburb of Moorabbin

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Looking at it from another angle, the end result is the pathologizing of every possible divergence from "the norm." Any sort of eccentricity is now given a scientific name and stigmatized as a disease or an abnormality that must be *treated*, not simply an acceptable variation in human personality. It's basically a kinder, gentler way of ghettoizing people.

I had an uncle who was a stereotypical Flinty Old New England Miser, who hoarded money in his mattress, refused to get electricity because it was too expensive, and generally was just a mean old grouch. (I liked him though -- he gave me free rides in his taxicab.) In his day it was just "Oh, that's old Warren. It's just his way." Nowadays he'd be diagnosed with all sorts of social disorders, and they'd want to pump him full of drugs to make him just like everyone else.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Being in education, I have mixed feelings about that line of thought, Lizzie. While I dont like the term 'stupid,' I feel that the categorizing you speak of creates excuses for inappropriate conduct, whatever definition of conduct one would casre to use. An identifier is only what is made of it. And, like it or not, 'inappropriate' conduct is a significant player in a number of the pitfalls facing our country (U.S.). It contributes to so many issues. The people of the 'greatest generation' are becoming an alien concept to the average person of today for a large number of reasons, one of them being the ability to deny responsibility for oneself. The labeling we speak of is a small but contributory part of that.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
LOraine 7-2998. We always said El-Oh-7-2998, though.

I think my Dad had that number for over 30 years. It was a big thing in the late '60s when we moved and were able to take the number with us!:eeek:

Cheers,
Tom

It's true, I had friends who were in remedial classes who had no reason to be outside of the fact that they were too lazy to do their schoolwork. They would get distracted, or be busy talking, or just plain not want to do it and they were considered 'gifted' by our school's standards. They'd give them special treatment and an easier class just because they didn't want to study. They should be forced to do their schoolwork, that's what school is for. You're supposed to do your work whether you want to or not. I think that all of that coddling sets a tone for their entire life and they get jobs and think they shouldn't have to do the work, get married, think they shouldn't have to work at it, then you have all these divorces and broken families. Then you have the problems that come from a broken family.

Yep, I remember when the family unit was important to most people.

rue

^ I remember that too Tom.

I also remember when families ate dinner together. We are the only family I know (besides our friends that live next door) that still eat together every night, where we live. My daughter's friends call us "The TV Family", because it's the only place they've ever seen a family eating together and we're talking about at least ten different kids from many financial backgrounds. None of them know basic table manners either. I was very shocked when I first started hearing the name they were calling us, not insulted, just shocked.

Effingham

A-List Customer
Or, looking at it the other way, all the 'syndromes' we have 'identified' today were many years ago simply classified as 'stupid.'

Yup.

Half the boys I grew up with (self included) would have been drugged to the gills with Ritalin and whatnot.

What do I really miss? I remember when boys (and kids in general) were allowed to BE boys. When you could ride your bike (no goofy helmet) down the street or all the way to the library or playground, hang out with other kids until after dark, and still get home without people freaking out.

We had rope swings over the quarry. Our playgrounds had monkey bars over solid ground. We drank from the garden hose. We climbed trees and made rickety tree houses. We played "bash the other guy". We laughed. We fought. We ran around. We played -- unsupervised -- with these and these and these.

I remember when kids were kids.

Whoever heard of "latchkey kids" or "helicopter parents" when I was a kid? No one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe