Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I remember when.....

When long distance calls had to handled by operators. Today a long distance call may be a welcome surprise but it doesn't have the importance of the old days back when calling out of town or out of state or out of the country had the same drama as the moonshot launch. And the price of long distance was astronomical.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I remember going to the Goodyear store on Tweedy Boulevard in South Gate, CA before Christmas every year to buy their annual Christmas album. It was a collection of Christmas songs by various performers and cost a buck, as I recall. Even back then I thought it was a little odd to be going to a tire store to buy an album!

Cheers,
Tom

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When long distance calls had to handled by operators. Today a long distance call may be a welcome surprise but it doesn't have the importance of the old days back when calling out of town or out of state or out of the country had the same drama as the moonshot launch. And the price of long distance was astronomical.

And who can forget your ma yelling "SHUT UP IN THERE YOU KIDS, I'M ON LONG DISTANCE." Even if "long distance" meant just a couple of towns over.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I remember New York when you HAD to use 'em, even tho they were always nasty and frequently busted. And phishing people's phone card numbers with binoculars and a notepad was a cottage industry.

I once just for the hell of it answered a ringing pay phone in the subway. "Columbus Circle Subway Station, how may I direct your call?" CLICK! Sound of an emphatic New York hang-up.

I always wonder if I f#¢!!ed up a drug deal. Seeing as I'm still alive, I'll assume not.

Last edited:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Hey hey, careful now. Let's not bring my Buick into this!

GEDC0428.jpg

GEDC0434.jpg

What's under the hood Tom?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
And who can forget your ma yelling "SHUT UP IN THERE YOU KIDS, I'M ON LONG DISTANCE." Even if "long distance" meant just a couple of towns over.

And I remember when calling outside your own area code meant upped rates. My parents always made it a point to remind anyone, and each other, of this when on such a call. These days, my 'base rate' includes the whole country.

dnjan

One Too Many
I remember being on a "party line". And then the people on the end of the street got a private line so there were only two families on the party line.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember when we had to call our friends on their house phone..
..and the phones were those of dialing kind, vired to the wall, NOT mobile in any way (so everyone could hear what you had to say.. speaking in codes helped)..
..and you couldn't just send your friends a text or an e-mail.
I remember when we had to GO SEE our friend to SHOW them our new hairstyle/shoes
..and not send them .jpg format attachment.
I remember when we had to MEET someone in person to like his smile/other things..
..not his photoshop version.
I remember spending my days in the great outdoors, chasing down the wind
..and not in Sims environment..
.............and I'm only 25 years old..

I have actually never sent a text message that I can recall.
I have never sent a picture via the cell phone.
I have never used a cell phone to access the web.

Even when I had a cell phone I used it only now and then mostly for the: "I'm Lost, help" or "you're late where are you" type calls or the "we just decided to go to the Sushi place can you join us" type calls.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Even when I had a cell phone I used it only now and then mostly for the: "I'm Lost, help" or "you're late where are you" type calls or the "we just decided to go to the Sushi place can you join us" type calls.
..and that is great!

I use mine only to say "Mom, PLEASE heat up the lunch, I'm coming home soon" (and to TAKE a phone call, never to MAKE one) ;)

I think we have no danger of that lol I had the car up for sale for awhile and everyone that called wanted to put it on 'dubs' so I didn't sell it!

I remember when my Ma first got a cell phone. The bottom part flipped open and it had a big retractable antenna and was huge!

Just don't put 25"ers on it. bahahhahahahahahahha

Sushi?? I remember when the only time you ever saw raw fish in public was in a chum bucket.

It's a matter of having a thriving Japanese community in your area. Most people in the US did not know much about it until after the 1970's. The US service men that were in Japan after WWII and later were at least introduced to the idea if they did not actually try it.

(Long before I ever had Sushi I was eating raw clams on the half shell , mostly Little Necks, from the Great South Bay by Long Island. The concept of raw was there already.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe