Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many hats do you have...?

How many hats do you own?

• 1-10

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • 10-20

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • 20-30

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • 30-40

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • 40-50

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • 50-60

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • 60-70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-80

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • 80-90

• 90-100

• Total voters

billysmom

One Too Many
Garrett said:
Where are all of the heavy hitters? Gene, JTL and several others I'm talkin to you:D

Very well, I'll say that I have 160+ which is way too many and I'm trying to get rid of many so keep checkin the classifieds!
[/QUOTE]

I'm grateful for your abundance, Garrett. My checkbook isn't. ;)

Sue

munchausen

One of the Regulars
A question for Garret

Garrett said:
Where are all of the heavy hitters? Gene, JTL and several others I'm talkin to you:D

Very well, I'll say that I have 160+ which is way too many and I'm trying to get rid of many so keep checkin the classifieds!

Garret, I notice in the pictures that your hats are brim down on the shelves and stacked. Does that put hokum to what I've read about storing hats on their crowns to preserve the brim?

Regards

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here we go. I made a list tonight.

Modern
Akubra
2 Fed IV Dlx - heritage fawn, moonstone
4 Campdrafts - silverbelly, taupe fawn, mid gray, mid brown
1 Capricorn

1 Stetson Gun Club
1 Sunbody
1 Miller milan
1 Dobbs Steve Harvey milan - gray (ordered - will I ever get it?)

Custom
Buckaroo Hatters - Mike Moore
1 Black
1 Silverbelly
1 Tan
1 Natural (Moorelite)
1 Dark Moss (in the que)

Tumwater Hats - Tony Brouner
1 Bone
1 Midnight blue

Vintage Silhouettes - Art Fawcett
1 granite Sportaire (note to self - need more of these)

Vintage
Stetson
3 Whippets - blue/gray, black, gray (in the mail)
2 Stratoliners - blue/gray, brown
3 Open Roads - 3X silverbelly, 3X tan, 7X Clear Beaver silverbelly
1 Royal Stetson - brown
1 Stetson 20 - brown

Resistol
1 San Antonio - silverbelly

Borsalino
4 Alessandria - tan, silverbelly, gray, grayish green

Adam
1 Executive - gray

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Jackie says that I should join some sort of twelve-step group. Probably so. This is my collection of Open Roads and OR clones. The photo doesn't do justice to the color of the hats, but they are:

Front row, left to right...Resistol Wide Country, Resistol Waco, 3X Stetson Unmarked OR, Mallory.

Middle row, left to right....Sixties Open Road, 3X Marked Open Road, Sovereign Qualiity Unmarked OR, Modern Straw OR.

Back row, left to right...Vintage Panama ORish Stetson, Brown Camp Draft, Silverbelly Camp Draft, Modern OR.

sundaysdragon005.jpg

AF

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I have no idea of the total number of hats residing under my roof. And if you add baseball caps the number shoots up a bit more! I think that if I recall correctly from when we were posting photographs of how we store our hats I had a WAG of around 300. :eek:

I really need to get serious about paring that number down. :eusa_doh:

Cheers,
Tom

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I have at least over twenty vintage 30s and 40s vintage hats. Every time I count the number is different and that isn't from new purchases!

Let's just say my husband is bemused by it all... At some point, when I would show him the latest arrival from evilBay he would say "Uh huh, another hat..."

I also have a few new hats, in that they are not vintage, though a favorite from J. Peterman is like 10-15 years old now.

When my father came out here from AZ a few weeks ago to "help" us change our packrat lifestyle, as he put it (too long a story to share here and it was brutal besides) I quickly gathered up all my vintage hats, storing them all carefully in our collection of vintage Samsonite luggage pieces, and sent them to hide out for the duration in a friend's garage.

Oh, I do not own a baseball cap. Never will. I never did play baseball/bobby sox softball, whatever, even as a kid.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
I had a WAG of around 300. :eek:

Cheers,
Tom

Oh my! are there pictures around here of the way you store those 300?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
The male hat totals in our house- so far!

Hubby Chuck has just two vintage fedoras, a modern panama, a tweed English hat bought on our London honeymoon due to very cold and windy rainy weather then, a modern older boater, and his vintage WWII Army Air Corp Captain's pilot's crusher service cap. He said to add in a couple of modern hats for gardening. He thinks he still has around here someplace a couple of ball caps he's acquired from who knows where (work/promo giveaways?), but he never wears them.

Our 13yo Son Daniel has two vintage stingy brims, a tweed hat, a cordouroy hat for keeping the rain off, a modern white cracker jack sailor cap bought at the surplus store to wear with his vintage WWII USN jumper, his vintage beaver top hat, and a vintage Borsolino fedora I found on evilBay for him that needs to be unrolled and properly creased, etc. so he can actually wear it. The last time HE wore a ball cap was when he played t-ball. The cap is long gone.

Edward

Bartender
Uhm, let me think..... I'm currently on about a dozen fur felt fedoras, still have two old wools I don't wear anymore but hang onto, about a dozen caps of several varieties (yachting caps, 8 panel / newsboys, flat caps mostly), five top hats, and three fur felt homburgs. Oh, and one bowler at my folks' place that they picked up for me, though that's strictly 'costume' wear. Oh... and three or four straws.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Aureliano said:
Oh my! are there pictures around here of the way you store those 300?

The thread is here. The photos are not for the faint of heart, though the situation has gotten a lot better. Well a bit better. :D

Amazingly enough, it's been a few months since my last hat purchase. :eek:

Cheers,
Tom

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
The thread is here. The photos are not for the faint of heart, though the situation has gotten a lot better. Well a bit better. :D

Cheers,
Tom
WOW!

Garrett

munchausen said:
Garret, I notice in the pictures that your hats are brim down on the shelves and stacked. Does that put hokum to what I've read about storing hats on their crowns to preserve the brim?

Regards

Usually, the bottom hat (supporting the rest) will have its brim turned up or un-snapped but sometimes they are not. In my experience the brims are not bothered much by this method of storage and I typically touch up my hat (either a quick steam and brush or dry bash) before walking out the door anyway.

One school of thought I subscribe to is "Do not baby your hat" - As Art Fawcett once said, "They're just hats" :eek: ;) :D

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Tango Yankee said:

Cheers,
Tom

That is phenomenal. I just showed all those pics to my girlfriend in hopes that she would ease up on my purchases - thanks!

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Garrett said:
Usually, the bottom hat (supporting the rest) will have its brim turned up or un-snapped but sometimes they are not. In my experience the brims are not bothered much by this method of storage and I typically touch up my hat (either a quick steam and brush or dry bash) before walking out the door anyway.

One school of thought I subscribe to is "Do not baby your hat" - As Art Fawcett once said, "They're just hats" :eek: ;) :D

Thanks for that, Garret. I have been buying hats but not the hatboxes (too expensive for postage) and I've got a few hats in boxes and the rest on my wardrobe crown down and stacked. I keep having to brush where the crown meets the surface (could be my lousy housekeeping skills). As a noob, it gives me heart that as the collection grows you can store them like that and not ruin the shape of the brim.

I must admit, I still baby them a bit. But after a year or so, who can say? :D

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Tango Yankee said:
I have no idea of the total number of hats residing under my roof. And if you add baseball caps the number shoots up a bit more! I think that if I recall correctly from when we were posting photographs of how we store our hats I had a WAG of around 300. :eek:

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,

This one is for you

300fedora.jpg

Tom

Mr. Paladin

Atticus Finch said:
Jackie says that I should join some sort of twelve-step group. Probably so. This is my collection of Open Roads and OR clones. The photo doesn't do justice to the color of the hats, but they are:
AF

AF, those are some really great ORs and co.! Very well done, indeed!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Paladin said:
TY, there are no words.......

I dunno about that, Mr. P.! Though mostly supportive, my wife has managed to find a few to use...lol

ScottF, I think a few others did the same when I first posted those photos!

And H. Tom, Thanks! I like it!:eusa_clap

Since that was taken I went on a hat box buying spree, so a lot more hats are in boxes. I put up a couple more shelving units in the basement but those filled up fast. I need to get rid of some other things to make room!

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe