Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many hats do you have...?

How many hats do you own?

• 1-10

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • 10-20

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • 20-30

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • 30-40

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • 40-50

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • 50-60

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • 60-70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-80

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • 80-90

• 90-100

• Total voters

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I always tell my wife I have more ordered than I have...that way she can`t get more #"$#%&"$%&$ ... but it never seems to work...any suggestions anyone???

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I'm planning on bribing the concierge of our building so he doesn't log the shipments into the computer. That way she won't get a delivery email and I can just hide them amongst their other siblings;)

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Ten days ago, no hats other than ball caps and one Tilley Edurable for yardwork and the beach.

Now, a Stetson Saxon (though I have to decide between black and caribou in color) and later this week, a Panama Bob Diamante panama hat will be awaiting me. Probably a second felt, like an Akubra, and then something for casual and year round, a newsboy or a light felt?

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Aureliano said:
I'm planning on bribing the concierge of our building so he doesn't log the shipments into the computer. That way she won't get a delivery email and I can just hide them amongst their other siblings;)

Now it is time to start another thread - how to bootleg your hat acquisitions into your own household?:D

Tom

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
daizawaguy said:
I always tell my wife I have more ordered than I have...that way she can`t get more #"$#%&"$%&$ ... but it never seems to work...any suggestions anyone???
I am fortunate that my wife likes hats, too. In fact, I have had a couple of my felt fedoras done up for her by Gary White...he'll put on a contrasting ribbon with a nifty bow treatment at the back rather than the side and my wife dents them herself and wears them a lot. I am further fortunate that my wife spends more on her panamas than I do!

Buzz

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
HungaryTom said:
Now it is time to start another thread - how to bootleg your hat acquisitions into your own household?:D

Tom
I know there is a thread out there already that deals with this issue.

AlphaP

New in Town
3 in less than two months. The most recent purchased a couple of days ago at an antique store. I tried it on and couldn't believe it fit me so well... Talk about destiny or something.

So that makes:

1 Maidana dark green fedora
1 Lagomarsino pale green Australian Flexi (a wide-brimmed Akubra-type)
1 Romer green fedora with a bit higher crown than the Maidana (this is the vintage one, from the mid '40s)

AlphaP

New in Town
Long offtopic post ahead. I lowered the font size to take less space so apologies in advance.

:eek:fftopic:

cookie said:
AlphaP are there many hat shops still operating in BsAs?

Are the vintage shops at San Telmo etc still alive?

Yup, there are quite a bit.

I didn't have much time to scavenge the different places but Espacio24 is still here and they carry some nice hats. There are a couple more around too. I'll investigate soon.

Sadly, real 'real' hat stores (implying old, traditional names) left are pretty much three: Lagomarsino (in Once, an old acquaintance in this site too apparently), Maidana (no site, in front of the Congress, aka, Plaza Congreso) and Romer next to Av. Santa Fe and the Grand Splendid Palace, no site either, these two are way too traditional.

The vintage hat I have is a Romer. It's amazing but the owner (Luis Romer, a living piece of history) is not only alive and well with his 95+ years but he keeps working in the store and he's awesome. I went to talk with him yesterday and he pretty much lectured me on colours and how to be a gentleman.

It's a pity but when he's gone I fear his daughter and grandchildren will probably shut down the place. They are far from interested in the hat making business despite having a regular flow of clients. In fact, a couple bought a tweed cap and a wool hat when I was in the store.

I'm planning to get a black fedora from him sooner or later.

Maidana is pretty much the only place left where you can take a hat for repairs/fixes. I guess there might be some hidden places around too but that's the "one". It's also one of the most respected outside of the city as they carry the hats used by gauchos, they have nice chambergos and created that hat I always see in the province. I think it's the "Corazón de Potro". They have some cool Homburgs and Akubra-types too.

Then you have Tango8 (however, I'm not sure how they make their hats so that's why I don't put them with the "real" ones) in Abasto and the other store whose name I can never remember (same deal with this one), besides the cataract of antique stores around. Heaps of funyi hats for the tango lovers as well as odd rarities.

There is also the Compañía de Sombreros but I found a bit unnerving that some of their fedora-type hats are named JUSTINs. They also have more moderns hats, especially those super-short brimmed '60s ones.

Hopefully, this year I've seen a lot of people with hats (the unexpected cold helped) besides the regular tango lovers so I'm promoting them too. Heck, I realised we even have a good vintage hat rack at work, brought by one of the former presidents. Time to start using it!

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Good info Alphap. By the way mi viejo was from Rosario. I'm mitad Argentino mitad Ecuatoriano por el lado de mama. Bienvenido! y aguante Boca!

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Where are all of the heavy hitters? Gene, JTL and several others I'm talkin to you:D

Very well, I'll say that I have 160+ which is way too many and I'm trying to get rid of many so keep checkin the classifieds!

[/QUOTE]

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
great images Garret. I think Gene posted earlier on. But I agree with you. JTL, Dinerman, Douglas. We want to know! :D

Edit: 160+ wow!

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Garrett said:
Where are all of the heavy hitters? Gene, JTL and several others I'm talkin to you:D

Very well, I'll say that I have 160+ which is way too many and I'm trying to get rid of many so keep checkin the classifieds!

QUOTE]

Holy Shmackerel!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe